Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian Petrol (& other) fuel Price Update...

Down to 1.24 in Cleveland for E10 at Shell with voucher but i only paid 1.27 without voucher at BP in Cleveland so all good
Old Nov 11th 2014, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Petrol back to $1.283 again when I stopped today.

http://www.raa.com.au/documents/fuel-daily-adl-ulp
You're lucky.

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Down to 1.24 in Cleveland for E10 at Shell with voucher but i only paid 1.27 without voucher at BP in Cleveland so all good
Good on ya.

Still about $1,47 here, Not so bad filling the bike, but the gas guzzler car really annoys me.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
Nobody has yet managed to explain to me why Australia has this ridiculous price cycle whereas other countries manage without it.
I'll point out reality again so you can refuse to see it

The price of the raw product changes every day,so the price of the refined product would

A)Change frequently

B) Be static

The exchange rate changes every day,this would mean
A) As above

B)As above

A lot of countries still have exactly the same cycle as Australia,because of the above

A)True

B)false

There is still approx 160 litres in a barrel of oil.If oil is A$100 per barrel then raw product cost,62.5 cents per litre

A)true

B)false

In OZ the excise tax on petrol is 38.6 cents per litre.In OZ GST (VAT) is 10%

A)true

B)false

Now putting it all together @130 cents per litre GST is 11.8 cents per litre,excise tax 38.6 per litre,total 50.4 cents per litre.Product cost is 62.5 per litre,a grand total of 112.9 cents per litre.This leaves 17.1 cents per litre to cover all costs and profit margins.In general Caltex operate on 2-3 cents per litre margin,the station owner operates on 4-6 cents per litre margin.

To make it even easier 60 litres @130 cents is $78.

Excise tax is$23.16

GST is $7.08

Product cost is $37.50

Total is $67.74

to pay for everything else is $10.26 .Wages,rent,electricity,insurance,freight,profit margin etc..

You are right though,nobody is ever going to explain it to you,because you will refuse to see reality every day of your life.

Geordie downunder
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:31 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Looked for the Great Post sign but this will have to do instead
No worries, it seems as though no one is able to explain this "normal" price cycle that is peculiar to Australia, how can the pump price rise and fall seemingly on the same days every week when it doesn't occur in other countries ? It can't be that hard to explain surely ?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:45 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, it seems as though no one is able to explain this "normal" price cycle that is peculiar to Australia, how can the pump price rise and fall seemingly on the same days every week when it doesn't occur in other countries ? It can't be that hard to explain surely ?
It doesn't really do that anymore where I live. Oh accept the day or two before a public holiday weekend when the demand increases & they put the price up accordingly. The weekly supercheap Tuesday thing has stopped though.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day this is the chart that matters, cycle or not.

Now why does "Floating on Oil" Norway have the highest prices ?

Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's easy. I passed a servo yesterday that had increased it's prices exactly 20 cents since the day before and today the price had decreased 5 cents !!Easy peasy
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:28 am
Banned

Of course it's easy. I passed a servo yesterday that had increased it's prices exactly 20 cents since the day before and today the price had decreased 5 cents !!Easy peasy
Wow, that's crazy.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, that's crazy.
Pretty self explanatory i thought
Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
One of the things I've learnt and studied in my Oil and Gas MBA:
Diesel is mainly used as an industrial fuel - ships, power generation, trucks, heavy machinery etc. It's use as a personal transport fuel is limited. So when economies are doing well and industrial activity increases, the price of diesel rises to reflect this - and vice versa. We live in a region where a lot of Asian economies are steaming along (forget all the bollocks you read about China slowing, they are still growing at around 7.5% and will continue to do so), therefore the demand for diesel is high, driving its price higher. We import a lot of diesel, mainly from Asia. If you remember back to 2007/8 when China's economy was white hot leading up to the Olympics. Australia was also booming. The price of diesel here went through the roof

But saying that

I'm sure the oil companies/supermarkets are tacking on a bit extra as well. Shell/Coles and Caltex/Woolworths are big culprits of this IMO. Their diesel prices, around here anyway, are always the highest - and by a big margin. I tend to find that Gull (or Puma as it now seems to be called), which is an Aussie company, usually have the best price
I don't keep up with the news when we are o/seas but I missed that one.Was it Australia that became part of Holland to make them an oz company or was it Holland that became part of Australia

Either way a Dutch MNC is the major shareholder,and they could be a front company for somebody else.Corporate structures can be strange things,nothing to do with tax avoidance/minimisation of course.

Why do you make up so many bullshit stories.

You want to spend your $ locally then Caltex is as close as you can get (disclaimer, author,me,a shareholder in Caltex,so no conflict of interest)

While CTX is traded on the ASX it is majority owned by Chevron USA,from memory 52%.The annual report will tell you,available online and Chevron is under major share holders,not top 20 s/holders.Floated out of joint ownership by pioneer concrete (48% ownership) around 1997 ish at approx $4 a share,well over subscribed.I waited for the stags to sell and got in around $3.50.Working on the basis of the stupidity of yourself and the masses bleating that oil companies make a fortune and rip them off.Got to be money to be made there.

Watched it go down to around 80 cents a share and thought what a dickhead I was,the crowd might have that one right.Took a while for the madness to kick in, it went up to around $30,the crowd have to buy it because everybody else is buying it.

Watched it go down to around $10 during the GFC but I really don't know,I was watching and buying bank stocks at the time after their 60% crash.I didn,t get any at bottom.

CTX is around record highs now at $32 ish.A prick of a dividend payer as it never makes much,so it doesn't really fit in with my retirement needs,reasonably predictable dividend payments.

The crowd are buying,time to revert to the original strategy and sell them I think.

Keep up the bullshit stories.

Geordie downunder
Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
At the end of the day this is the chart that matters, cycle or not.

Now why does "Floating on Oil" Norway have the highest prices ?

http://1.static.australianindependen...?itok=CO4dhyXY
AVOID DUTCH DISEASE,as it says tax.Norway has good social security,and reputedly the happiest people in the world.

The largest sovereign wealth fund in the world at around $1 trillion now.They are preparing for when the oil runs out,instead of pissing it up against the wall.

The assets they buy will obviously produce an income,say 4%.4% of a trillion is a fair whack of money for a small population.When asset prices double 4% of of 2 trillion plus whatever else goes in will be a fair whack of money,and so on.

Depending on exchange rates I'm about $2.99 behind them and gaining (I wish)

As they say failing to plan is planning to fail.

Geordie downunder
Old Nov 14th 2014, 11:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Paid $138.4 for E10 at a Puma today having passed a Shell less than a minute before charging $149.9.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Paid $138.4 for E10 at a Puma today having passed a Shell less than a minute before charging $149.9.
We have a bp,caltex and shell on same street with 1 km of each other.Tues i filled up at bp for 1.27 ,others were 1.29 and 1.24 with discount. Wed bp had risen 20 cents to 1.47 and staged same on thurs whilst other 2 prices never budged a cent but come fri bp had returned to 1.27. Quite logic really !
Old Nov 16th 2014, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yes, I notice that everywhere. Caltex and BP are the worst culprits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.