Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Olympic TV coverage

Australian Olympic TV coverage

Old Aug 21st 2004, 11:59 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Olympic TV coverage

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I wouldnt have a clue BP...i'll get husband onto it tomrrow to find out.
We have Foxtel Digital via a satellite dish... i know this will porbably sound a really daft question, but i'm technically challenged... where would i plug in a set top box if its all been wired up for Foxtel?
Depends on the number of connectors on your TV. I have 4 possible inputs on my TV. For me input is for the DVD, One for the VCR and one for the playstation. All the inputs are side by side on the back of the TV.

I've not got digital but am keeping an eye out. I may make myself a HDD recorder to replace the VCR.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

An Aussie mate of mine asked me politely last night what had happened to the Brits this year in the Olympics? I said I thought they were holding their own but that the TV only shows the Aussie teams, how true this is!! I must say it does get irritating, I wanted to find out who had won the cycling and because the Aussie lost they did not highlight it the next day!!

It does not really bother me though, as I have chosen to come and live in their country I expect to have to adapt to their ways of seeing things. The Aussies as a nation are supreme sports people and are rightly proud of it. No one gets to the top easily. I am sure if Brits had the same results they would be crowing from the roof tops too!!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:10 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tinaj
An Aussie mate of mine asked me politely last night what had happened to the Brits this year in the Olympics? I said I thought they were holding their own but that the TV only shows the Aussie teams, how true this is!! I must say it does get irritating, I wanted to find out who had won the cycling and because the Aussie lost they did not highlight it the next day!!

It does not really bother me though, as I have chosen to come and live in their country I expect to have to adapt to their ways of seeing things. The Aussies as a nation are supreme sports people and are rightly proud of it. No one gets to the top easily. I am sure if Brits had the same results they would be crowing from the roof tops too!!
Well, the Brits have gone from zero to five gold medals virtually in a day. That's a pretty good achievement.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Peter
Well, the Brits have gone from zero to five gold medals virtually in a day. That's a pretty good achievement.
Yep the early events do not favour the British although 5 in a day is exceptional. Good to see the Japanese up there for a change.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:52 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
I watched a bit yesterday but bored of the ads. Does that blond chick have her smile wired up. She has one freaky gob.
I bet you wouldn't say no

jib
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:56 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Boating and sculling - United Kingdom (Great Britain) Athens Olympic Team - nice.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Considering the weather arguments funny that Britain does well in the sailing.

I like this one

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

Football
Iraq 1 Australia 0.
They'll be celebrating in Sydney.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 6:29 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
Considering the weather arguments funny that Britain does well in the sailing.

I like this one

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

Football
Iraq 1 Australia 0.
They'll be celebrating in Sydney.
All that running 'round and only one goal scored in the entire game - good on the Iraqis - but what a silly sport - bring back the drop kick and liven it up.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:20 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter
Pretty good???? bloody awesome i think
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, the BBC's coverage has been brill but some of the commentating has been crap. They have bought in young pretty things to boost ratings but who haven't got a clue about the sport they are commentating on. Suzy Perry is brilliant at motor cycle racing but covering the sailing is not her strong point. They have got some brilliant reporters but think that just because someone was good at their sport they will now be good at reporting. Nooooo!

It still sounds as though it's better than the aus coverage though. At least BBC covers everything even if we are not in it - on the other hand, if they didn't, they probably wouldn't show a lot
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:34 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by tinaj

nicely said!!

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

So i take it that if we choose to live in this country we are not entitled to an opinion or question the quality??
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:51 pm
Banned

Diprotodon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quinkana
All that running 'round and only one goal scored in the entire game - good on the Iraqis - but what a silly sport - bring back the drop kick and liven it up.
Some of the best games I have ever seen have had no goals at all, by comparison you can get a boring 4-3.
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 1:19 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by podgypossum
So i take it that if we choose to live in this country we are not entitled to an opinion or question the quality??
if you are talking to me, no. I just like the way tina embraces local culture which is a tactic widely recommended by any new person going to a new place.

PP, I agreed with you at the top there. There is alot of bias.

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

I cannot comment on the Aussie Olympic coverage being biased but it can't be as bad as the press the English football team gets during competitions.
Every time a player has someremote English connection - or referee is English - it is commented on endlessly for the whole game.

I say this comment as a Scot living in England who would love to even see his country with a good sports team (football, rugby, cricket etc)

Probably opened up a can of worms here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.