Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Office Politics

Australian Office Politics

Old Dec 1st 2004, 3:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Office Politics

Its been a very strange day at work. There have been lots of really strange organisational announcements. Every incompetent, under-qualified, inexperienced person I can think of has just been promoted into the most inappropriate position for their abilities. Now either this is part of a really bold career development strategy to put these people into positions where they will very quickly need to overcome their deficiencies or the women that sleep with their boss, the blokes with most upper-class accents and the yes men/women have what it really takes to get on in this company. I think it is called the Peter Principle - Incomptence rises to its own level.

So my question is - Does ability get you promoted in Australian offices or is it just as bad as Britain?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:04 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Australian Office Politics

Hi Worzel,

Its not just you, when I was in the UK and in my roaming role as a consultant/interim manager in the last 9 months before coming here , I saw this phenonomen everywhere. Not sure if its the same out here yet. Will let you know when I get a job.

Got to go, going for a game of golf soon.

Warren !

Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:25 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Judging by the management here, ability has nothing to do with it.
My boss is a piss artist to the extreme, and hasn't got a clue what we do all day
At least he's cool about spending lunch times in the pub!

I reckon that any ozzy with any ability in management is probably working OS, London likely?
Old Dec 1st 2004, 9:28 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
Its been a very strange day at work. There have been lots of really strange organisational announcements. Every incompetent, under-qualified, inexperienced person I can think of has just been promoted into the most inappropriate position for their abilities. Now either this is part of a really bold career development strategy to put these people into positions where they will very quickly need to overcome their deficiencies or the women that sleep with their boss, the blokes with most upper-class accents and the yes men/women have what it really takes to get on in this company. I think it is called the Peter Principle - Incomptence rises to its own level.

So my question is - Does ability get you promoted in Australian offices or is it just as bad as Britain?
Brown nosing is a good career forwarder where I work. Sod business priorities just make sure the managers allies are happy!