Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian New House Prices

Australian New House Prices

Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Australian New House Prices

I have viewed quite a few different websites about new house builders in Perth. One such website is called Celebration Homes.

They offer homes from $350,000. Can anyone tell me if this type of price for this quality of home is common? I would also like to know if this is the total cost or if the land will also have to be bought separately? I have read on a few threads here that land prices are almost the same as the house costs!!!

All feedback is most welcome!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:21 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian New House Prices

How long is a piece of string?
Usually you have to buy the land in addition to the house. Land prices depend on location and size - the same as anywhere in the world. As an example you can pay $100,000 for 150 acres in the outback; or $800,000 for 600 square meters water frontage.
Add around 20 - 30% to the cost of the basic house to include driveway, rendering, watertank, garden makeover, internal fixtures and fittings etc

Last edited by The Woodcutter; Aug 6th 2008 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Cheers for that.

I am aware that house prices shall vary quite a bit but having viewed the homes on the celebration homes website, they seem too good to be true!!

If you were only having to pay in the region of $350k for this type of house then why wouldn't everyone go for one!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Cheers for that.

I am aware that house prices shall vary quite a bit but having viewed the homes on the celebration homes website, they seem too good to be true!!

If you were only having to pay in the region of $350k for this type of house then why wouldn't everyone go for one!!!!
Because not everyone wants to live miles and miles from civilisation (ie decent shops, cafes, bars, restaurants, entertainment etc) in a cultural wasteland, which is where affordable land - which you need to build one of those houses - is located.

Not everyone wants houses like those. They're not unusual - they look like standard project homes to me - and are very common in new-build areas all over the country.

Some people like a bit more character
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice

I have viewed quite a few different websites about new house builders in Perth. One such website is called Celebration Homes.

They offer homes from $350,000. Can anyone tell me if this type of price for this quality of home is common? I would also like to know if this is the total cost or if the land will also have to be bought separately? I have read on a few threads here that land prices are almost the same as the house costs!!!

Hi there,

Now, celeration homes are ok, but they are quite common and standard and for that price you will probably have space but not much by way of extras etc. It will also depend on location - not that it will be dodgy area necessarily but might be a bit of a trek to 'stuff'.

i found that on paper these homes look cracking, and they are, in comparison to what you can get in UK as readily, but they are EVERYWHERE, and it's quite uninspiring in real life.

$350,000 sounds like a house and land package and is quite good value as many now are at least in the 400's. Celebration homes for the house alone would be on average $160,000. Then you buy your land on top. And pay an extra $20,000-$50,000 for your add ons like flooring, painting, gardens, retic bla bla bla. Land for a standard block of about 550sqm in a new middle suburb will be from $199,000 upwards. average about $250,000.

Remember, as a newby to australia never having bought in Australia ever before you wont pay stamp duty (up to a certain value $300k for land and $500k for ready built house) and also get a $7000 first home owners grant.

HTH

Janine
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian New House Prices

This is a house and land package and the price is correct. Its a fairly standard
"starter" house -in the last couple of weeks have seen the same type of
package advertised at $297k,often with freebies like solar hot water or
evaporative cooling thrown in.
For a more comprehensive package go to
http://www.ventura-homes.com.au/
They have a better finish and better quality IMHO