Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian mortgages

Australian mortgages

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian mortgages

Hi all,

Can't find what I'm after. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Aussie mortgages are similar to those in the UK. I'd like to get a 15-year mortgage here in Aus but can't find a matrix to show repayments and give me an idea how much of a mortgage we can afford. Anyone know if one exists ?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian mortgages

Originally Posted by elmtree
Hi all,

Can't find what I'm after. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Aussie mortgages are similar to those in the UK. I'd like to get a 15-year mortgage here in Aus but can't find a matrix to show repayments and give me an idea how much of a mortgage we can afford. Anyone know if one exists ?

Many thanks in advance.
realestate.com.au have calculators that are pretty good for working out repayments and how much you can borrow.
Tracie
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Timvic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
Hi,

you can go on any bank and work out repayments. let me tell you you won't get a decent house by the coast for less than $500k thats what mine coast but it has a wicked view and ive already spent 25K ON IT and about to spend another $25k on. So be where. It isn't cheap here.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
realestate.com.au have calculators that are pretty good for working out repayments and how much you can borrow.
Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for that. I'll have a butchers now.

ps We made it to Perth eventually and love it. Daughter sorted in a school and settling in nicely.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Timvic
Hi,

you can go on any bank and work out repayments. let me tell you you won't get a decent house by the coast for less than $500k thats what mine coast but it has a wicked view and ive already spent 25K ON IT and about to spend another $25k on. So be where. It isn't cheap here.

Thanks, Timvic.

I'll have a look on the bank sites, too.

Tell me about it !!!! We are renting in Quinns Rocks at the moment but are having a good look around a 10k radius and reckon we'll have to spend that $500k-plus to get what we want. When we first came over two years ago the same would have cost well under than $400k. Bummer !
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for that. I'll have a butchers now.

ps We made it to Perth eventually and love it. Daughter sorted in a school and settling in nicely.
Glad to here it. Which one did you send her to?
Tracie
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Glad to here it. Which one did you send her to?
Tracie

St Andrews, Clarkson.

It seems really nice and she's doing well and settling in well.

We were in carramar last weekend vistiting new friends. We liked the area.

Are you going to the Kings Park meet ?

Would you like to meet up some time ?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

On the mortgage front, I wanted 15 year mortgage but they gave me a 30 year one. I was happy as I'm paying repayments at the 15 year rate with no penalty. Gald I did - Im reverting to 30 year repayments and going to use superannuation as the fund for paying off after 15 years. It'll be the same nett every month but as well as paying the house off I'll have a fair lump of cash as well - its all paid out of pre tax dollars - very efficient!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

St Andrews, Clarkson.

It seems really nice and she's doing well and settling in well.

We were in carramar last weekend vistiting new friends. We liked the area.

Are you going to the Kings Park meet ?

Would you like to meet up some time ?
Yea we love it here in Carramar, although a lot on here think it's like lego land each to their own. It would be good to meet up soon, I work nights midweek and OH works shifts so we're not the easiest family in to make arrangements with but maybe next weekend if that suits you? Glad all's going well for your family. Remind me again, is it Manchester you're from?
Tracie
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EvannTel
On the mortgage front, I wanted 15 year mortgage but they gave me a 30 year one. I was happy as I'm paying repayments at the 15 year rate with no penalty. Gald I did - Im reverting to 30 year repayments and going to use superannuation as the fund for paying off after 15 years. It'll be the same nett every month but as well as paying the house off I'll have a fair lump of cash as well - its all paid out of pre tax dollars - very efficient!

That sounds interesting - who was it with and what what's it called ??
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yea we love it here in Carramar, although a lot on here think it's like lego land each to their own. It would be good to meet up soon, I work nights midweek and OH works shifts so we're not the easiest family in to make arrangements with but maybe next weekend if that suits you? Glad all's going well for your family. Remind me again, is it Manchester you're from?
Tracie

Yup, from Manchester.

I'll PM you our details tomorrow and we can liaise.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds interesting - who was it with and what what's it called ??

My mortgage is with Westpac, my super with AMP but you should be able to do this with any employer/mortgage. Just check the mortgage has no early redemption penalties.