Reload this Page >

Australian marriage recognised in UK

Australian marriage recognised in UK

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:03 am
Account Closed

hippymike is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Australian marriage recognised in UK

Hi all

I am planning to marry in Australia but would like the marriage to be legally recognised in the UK. Is there anything that I need to do in addition to meeting the Australian legal requirements? I have heard about Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) and Apostille stamp, but don't understand whether or not I actually need these.

This site: http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/h...ntend-marriage suggests that a CNI is required for marriages in a non-commonwealth country, but also states that a CNI can be obtained from the British embassy in the country where the marriage is taking place. Since Australia is a part of the commonwealth, does this mean that the information on that site only applies for those that wish to marry *outside* of Australia, but apply for CNI *in* Australia?

So confused! If anybody has any experience of this process, I would be happy to hear from you.

Many thanks,
Mike
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice
Default Re: Australian marriage recognised in UK

Well I married in Australia and have since changed my British Passport to my married name with no problems at all ..so would guess from that the aussie marriage is recognised by UK......

Just be sure that you get the full marriage certificate...one from the marriage celebrant is not enough....had to apply to get full one from registar of births deaths and marriages in Brisbane where we got married.....

Seems the celebrant certificate is not enough for legal stuff....more for decoration

will be interested to see other replies to this OP question.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian marriage recognised in UK

Yes, marriage in Australia is recognised by British authorities. As the previous poster said you need to get the actual certificate from Birth, Deaths & Marriages.

Also if you intend to marry in Australia you need to advise of this via some "Notice of Intent to Marry" form at least 30 days before.