Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

No it is not just you. As a Queenslander I hate magpies with a passion. I am such a sook that I lock myself away at nesting season.

I used to ride to work. Along the main road there was an aggresive magpie. I called the relevant authority who told me to ride a different route. Told him that was not possible as there was only one road leading to where I work. He told me tough luck.

I ask you, if a wild animal attacks a person should it not be destroyed? The city is not the magpies native habitat. As a species we have removed ourselves from the food chain.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

I had an Aunt who used to feed local maggies mince...they LOVED it!!!!

She never got swooped...even in nesting time..

My mum feeds a family of five several kilos of mince a week, they are very tame, and never swoop, in fact, i think she's out there now feeding them......
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:36 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I remember being attached many times as a kid by maggies... bloody things... Got pecked badly on the head once when small and riding my bicycle!! Think I nearly fell off as it gave me such a fright. It's just what they do though. but I don't hate them - they have adapted to city life, along with many other native birds.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:25 am
My thumbs have gone weird

thepoacher is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Australian Magpies Is It Just Us??????

When I was growing up in Paynesville (Victoria) every year at nesting time the main street to my Primary school became a Magpie warzone and everyone changed their route to school. I remember getting scraped a few times but luckily, due to it being comulsory to wear a helmet on a bicycle, only ever received scratches in the plastic.

I seem to remember it became a form of initiation to ride the gauntlent during nesting time. Also wasted many a day making ineffectual bows and arrows to defend myself with.

Ahh the memorys... can't wait to get back and re-initialise myself!
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:30 am
PommieLeague

Magpies have a beautiful song but they can be viscious like the British Magpies which interestingly arent even related.
I think the British Magpies are nicer looking but the Aussies ones sound better, any thoughts?

Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:42 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I prefer the australian magpie.... they are the most wonderful songster to listen to. I miss them!!!