Reload this Page >

Australian living costs

Australian living costs

Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:30 am
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian living costs

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
...They are my thoughts anyway, and it's how I feel...
...and that's why you will fit in well here!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:32 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevMountain
...and that's why you will fit in well here!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:37 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

ouch!
interesting calculations though......

Just out of interest (ok, im being nosey) what do you spend with your weekly allowance, as you have a huge household shopping budget, and seem to have covered an amount for clothing, insurance, car costs etc.

looking at what else you have included, i worked out a weekly allowance for me and my other half based on what we spend now.

hubby - only buys papers, crisps, odd bacon butty, football team subs etc...he gets through about £15/week (wassthat?=$50??roughestimate?)
me - odd bits of shopping, bits for kids etc = £30 (??$75??)

our household shopping on a bad week is around £130.......that includes a complete restock of the cupboards and freezer!!

now before everyone shouts at me, i know its not good practice to do a uk;aus comparison/conversion.......but just thought id look at it from our perspective.

we hope to have a combined gross income of about £65k.

like others have said, you live within and up to your means
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ouch!

Just out of interest (ok, im being nosey) what do you spend with your weekly allowance, as you have a huge household shopping budget, and seem to have covered an amount for clothing, insurance, car costs etc.

looking at what else you have included, i worked out a weekly allowance for me and my other half based on what we spend now.

hubby - only buys papers, crisps, odd bacon butty, football team subs etc...he gets through about £15/week (wassthat?=$50??roughestimate?)

our household shopping on a bad week is around £130.......that includes a complete restock of the cupboards and freezer!!

now before everyone shouts at me, i know its not good practice to do a uk;aus comparison/conversion.......but just thought id look at it from our perspective.

you see thats what i am wittering on about that 65,000 doller figefigureps on commcoming.on the job front thaythey seem to be 65 to 85 k so i hope this is the doing ok area .
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:51 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eintracht
Sorry Possums, it was not my spreadsheet that started this thread. I was just putting my view in to see if anybody could pick holes on my line of thinking.
Has anybody tried property development ?
DOH thought you were the OP

Why dont you start a new thread re property development, I'd be interested in the response

Last edited by possoms; Sep 30th 2005 at 10:53 am.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Originally Posted by possoms
DOH thought you were the OP

Why dont you start a new thread re property development, I'd be interested in the response
I'm too shy !!!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ouch!

I can't talk for what Julie would spend hers on, but I think $400 a month for lunches, evenings out, presents, flowers for Julie (occasionally), haircuts (I still have hair), the odd game of golf etc, doesn't seem too unreasonable. If we had to cut back, that's where we would start.

Our plans include having a reasonable quality of life, but we are realistic enough to realise things many not go exactly as planned. Anyway until I get a job, it will be bread and water.

Dave
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:14 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to throw another angle on this and to counter something that Grayling alluded to earlier.......I think that it it is entirely healthy to move around the world and know that financially you will be worse off.

Personally, immediately prior to moving to Australia, I was heading for senior jobs in education - looking at salaries up to around £50K. We moved to Aus and I'm now on about £27K equiv. This was a conscious decision and we don't regret it for a minute. Now things aren't easy financially but that doesn't mean that it was the wrong decision. To our family, life here is worth the salary drop (in spite of many things about Australia which are dire). The other thing to remember also is that you are unlikely to ever be as poor as you are in the first couple of years of your move here. It really should get better.

You are either the type of person who sees salary climbing as your key goal or you are not. As with many things on this forum it's a personal approach to life and there's little point in trying to convince people. For us, seeing the world is a much better option.

I do want to reiterate what I tend to say a lot on this forum though....you should always be prepared to move on or back if things are going disastrously. So my advice would be, if yours is the type of house which you could rent out in the UK do so and rent here until you are really happy with your move. Still can't understood those that sell up when they don't need to. We will move back (or onwards) if I am still unhappy with the schools here in 3 years time - and we will find the money even if we use credit cards for the flights!!

And one other thing........

the weather is still crap.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
Just to throw another angle on this and to counter something that Grayling alluded to earlier.......I think that it it is entirely healthy to move around the world and know that financially you will be worse off.
I didn't say you should not do it and didn't say it is the wrong thing to do.

What I said was that most people who move do not believe THEY THEMSELVES will be any worse off. Many believe they will be better off despite any contrary evidence.

Personally I would not move if I thought I would be worse off.

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:08 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes but worse off can not be counted in dollars alone ...
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
Yes but worse off can not be counted in dollars alone ...
Maybe....but they certainly help and you can't eat sunshine or sand.

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:15 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

G
Fair point
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:16 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJMA
presents, flowers for Julie (occasionally), haircuts (I still have hair),

thats probably where my other half is going wrong
the last time he bought me flowers, he did it cos he's bought the midwives some who delivered our twins so thought hed better buy me some too

and he has no hair
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australian living costs

G
And having spent nearly 2 years in the UK, I've found that you can't eat mud either.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

I didn't say you should not do it and didn't say it is the wrong thing to do.

What I said was that most people who move do not believe THEY THEMSELVES will be any worse off. Many believe they will be better off despite any contrary evidence.

G

I agree, however how are people going to know the end result should they stay in Uk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.