Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian living costs

Australian living costs

Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian living costs

Ok $10,000+ for holidays! that is a must especially if you get homesick or parents get sick etc...

Your phone seems rather cheap.. and you haven't allowed for kids after school activities, pocket money and days out!!

The rest looks pretty spot on.

We are in the process of looking at moving back because we can't afford those UK trips every year or in fact any holiday abroad let alone the life where we could buy cd's etc...

Unless I get a job and work nights which is under consideration

I know that we could survive on less and carry on enjoying Australia but I never hated the UK! Plus why should the kids give up ballet, swimming etc..

I think that you are wise to do your homework. We never came to Australia to be worse off!! It is a great country and I am soo glad that I came here and gave it a go.. if I won the lottery tomorrow I would stay for sure but for me those hols, cd's meals out mean a lot more than empty beaches!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:31 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Yeah - worryin me too! I'm up also at this unearthly hour!!!

But sometimes i think you can analyse things a bit too much - and then you'd never do anything! I recall all the charts for how much it costs to have a child! If you followed them and waited till you could "afford" children - then you'd never have them ! (we've got 3)! So i'm going for the change and excitement and experience. Not the bigger house, car etc.

Call me naive but "u only live once"!
Some really great points here

We can analyse until the cows come home but until you get here and live the *reality* you can't be 100% sure how it's going to pan out. Of course planning ahead gives you an idea, but then that's all.

A good exampe you raise is re children. I remember thinking we'd never, ever be able to afford kids cos in our early days we were as poor as church mice. But we did have them ........and we survived to tell the tale...just

Living here for us means we've had to learn to "cut our cloth accordingly" and have learned to forfeit monetary pleasures for the simple things in life. Ironically we had to leave the big money to realise it was never really the money that made us happy. We sold our souls in UK, we have much less money here but at least we have a *life*.

This was the *real* luxury that was missing.

[don't worry ]
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:32 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Some really great points here

We can analyse until the cows come home but until you get here and live the *reality* you can't be 100% sure how it's going to pan out. Of course planning ahead gives you an idea, but then that's all.

A good exampe you raise is re children. I remember thinking we'd never, ever be able to afford kids cos in our early days we were as poor as church mice. But we did have them ........and we survived to tell the tale...just

Living here for us means we've had to learn to "cut our cloth accordingly" and have learned to forfeit monetary pleasures for the simple things in life. Ironically we had to leave the big money to realise it was never really the money that made us happy. We sold our souls in UK, we have much less money here but at least we have a *life*.

This was the *real* luxury that was missing.

[don't worry ]

Agreed. I nearly sh*t myself when I found out we were having twins. You just get by and make the money work out.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:35 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
Agreed. I nearly sh*t myself when I found out we were having twins. You just get by and make the money work out.
Exactamondo!!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:19 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Quote - We were hoping to live off $45k - $15k from rental income and $30k from the wifes salary

I don't know where you are planning to purchase your investment property but we have one here in Perth and believe me, there is no way you can live off the income - quite the reverse! Thats why they call it negative gearing, we have to keep topping up the mortgage on it every month as well as paying our own! The up side, of course, is that we are gaining on the capial growth and using the tax deductions against it.

Maybe hubby and I are a little different to most but we don't take things quite so seriously, I have never in my life drawn up a budget! I know what I earn and make sure I don't spend more than that. I was quite surprised when I submitted our tax returns at how little we earn between us but as long as we have enough to get by on we are happy. I am notorious for never buying anything that isn't on special or marked down and I really don't care that my car is 10 years old as long as its running - I guess its a case of prioritising what matters most to you. BTW, hubby is now earning $55k pa and I am on $23k pa part time with no kids.

MC
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:44 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

reading this is making me worry a little ..

i'm bringing my wife and daughter over to brisbane and i'll be earning $93k (as a contractor) going down to $70k when i go permenant (after 18months) ..

We dont want a lavish lifestyle, just to be comfortable, mortgage, car and the like ..

I dont expect to be better off than i am here in the UK (infact i know we will be worse of as i'm very well paid here) .. i just want to be comfortable .. its all about the lifestyle .. i'm sick of the rat race .. as long as i can provide for my family .. that will be fine !!

am i worrying over nothing?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

The rental property we are hoping to let out will not have a mortgage, therefore only costs will be maintenence, house insurance etc. Therefore, I'm hoping I will make a little bit of money out of it each year.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite amusing sometimes on this forum.

Lots of people talk about dropping out of the 'Rat Race' or living a simpler life.

However, just look what happens when you start a thread such as "What is the best 4x4 car to buy?" or start talking about big houses with pools.

They are some of the most popular threads

I will stand by my earlier statement...most people migrating don't really think that THEY are going to be worse off. Other people maybe but not them.

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:57 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
I will stand by my earlier statement...most people migrating don't really think that THEY are going to be worse off. Other people maybe but not them.
i'm going with an open mind .. prepared to have to work hard to make ends meet if i have to .. but hoping we'll be able to manage
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:59 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eintracht
The rental property we are hoping to let out will not have a mortgage, therefore only costs will be maintenence, house insurance etc. Therefore, I'm hoping I will make a little bit of money out of it each year.
Oh ok! Your figures should be about right then, lucky you - no mortgage, income from rent, tax deductions and capital growth! You've got the quaddie!!

MC
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
i'm going with an open mind .. prepared to have to work hard to make ends meet if i have to .. but hoping we'll be able to manage
You will manage the every day life fine on this. Dont forget that you will get family tax with the kids!

A word of warning though.. don't expect a new car every few years or a grand holiday.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:24 am
birmingham to brisbane

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
don't expect a new car every few years or a grand holiday.
I think there plenty of oz to explore before we need to worry about looking further a field for holidays
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:43 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=stevereed]A point to make

depending on where you live $400 should get you a mansion, we pay $170 pw for a 3 bed house on a 40 acre farm, it's not luxury but it's pretty good, we were lucky however. $250-300 is more realistic.

/QUOTE]

If you are moving to the Bayside area of Melbourne $400 won't get you anything like a mansion. We are paying $770 per week for a 4 bedroom town house!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
If you are moving to the Bayside area of Melbourne $400 won't get you anything like a mansion. We are paying $770 per week for a 4 bedroom town house!
Until recently my cousin was paying $950 per week for a 3 bedroom house in North Bondi.

She has now bought somewhere.

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:49 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds ridiculously expensive, I know a guy in Brisbane who pays $250 pw for a really good 4 bed property. Perhaps Melbourne should be avoided :-)

[QUOTE=Vanessa]
Originally Posted by stevereed
A point to make

depending on where you live $400 should get you a mansion, we pay $170 pw for a 3 bed house on a 40 acre farm, it's not luxury but it's pretty good, we were lucky however. $250-300 is more realistic.

/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.