Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian living costs

Australian living costs

Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian living costs

This is just a very subjective thing. I know a lot of people who seem to go through their finances with the same determination as a bushfire. What they spend their money on I just cannot even begin to imagine. Crap, I suppose, lots and lots of crap.

I just mean to say that if you need to buy jackets and trousers and shoes and cars and shoes and CDs and shoes and computer games and shoes and more shoes and DVDs and shoes and car accessories and shoes and more shoes and so on, you're going to need a lot of money.

My wife and I spend very little - and we are grateful we don't need to buy all this crap to make ourselves feel good - and we have estimated that we could live in Australia on about $50,000 a year - and this includes good food a nice home and a good holiday once a year.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian living costs

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Thanks for that - I was starting to worry!!!
My pleasure.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tableland
This is just a very subjective thing. I know a lot of people who seem to go through their finances with the same determination as a bushfire. What they spend their money on I just cannot even begin to imagine. Crap, I suppose, lots and lots of crap.

I just mean to say that if you need to buy jackets and trousers and shoes and cars and shoes and CDs and shoes and computer games and shoes and more shoes and DVDs and shoes and car accessories and shoes and more shoes and so on, you're going to need a lot of money.

My wife and I spend very little - and we are grateful we don't need to buy all this crap to make ourselves feel good - and we have estimated that we could live in Australia on about $50,000 a year - and this includes good food a nice home and a good holiday once a year.

This is all good to read. I like the nice things, the gadgets etc, and the missus DEF likes the shoes! ..... but at the same time we know we don't NEED them!

We enjoy taking the dog out for a long walk in nice weather, and see that as a 'nice thing' ...

We're going to Oz on a temp Visa for upto 2 years. We don't plan to work as will be studying, and would like to think 2 adults and 2 kids also can get thru on £30k per year!

We'll see tho I guess!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DJMA
Over the past few weeks I have been trying to work out what the cost of living a similar lifestyle to ours here in the UK may be in Australia. It involved visiting loads of websites for quotes, to gather info etc. I am happy the results are fairly accurate, but I could be wrong. There are 4 of us, 2 kids ages 10 and 4.

I will welcome any comments. Hopefully someone will say I am miles out and could easily live on $50k.

No way, I hope not. Thats £46,800, I don't earn that here and I got wife + 2 kids to maintain. Wife only works part time. I hoping to get by on $40000 - $50000
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

jakimber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyD
No way, I hope not. Thats £46,800, I don't earn that here and I got wife + 2 kids to maintain. Wife only works part time. I hoping to get by on $40000 - $50000
I know this may be a stupid question, but the spreadsheet had after tax income and before tax income. Are people thinking they will be able to live on earning $50k after tax income or is the $50k their pre-tax salary. It obviously makes a difference.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Australian living costs

I am pleased this has sparked a lot of debate. The aim isn't to worry anyone, as there are, as been pointed out, lots of things that are not essentials like:
$10k on holidays, a case of wine a month (and I had thought I had cut down there), clothes (after all all I need are a pair of bordies and a t-shirt) and Julie's allowance. I thought the allowance was very generous, as she doesn't get anything normally.

From our previous visits to Oz, holidays during school holidays still seem to cost a lot. After all the posts on snakes, especially the big one caught on the fence that eats sheep or something, camping is out of the question. Anyway when you get to our age you need a little comfort.

Being a sad git I like to save for a rainy day. Especially, as this little jaunt is to Oz is going to make a huge hole in our reserves.

I assumed we had cash for a cheap car and with the c**p exchange rate would wait a while to bring over our sale proceeds, so we need to rent. I guess we plan on going back to the UK every couple of years or so, for the last 15 years we have been going to Oz regularly to see Julie's family and friends.

The whole aim of doing the spreadsheet was to get an understanding of what sort of lifestyle we could have at different income levels. Personally, I would like to be able to play golf, go to the beach, drink wine and take the kids to and from school, not necessarily in that order, and then really enjoy myself at the weekend. What Julie chooses to do with her few hundred dollars a month is up to her.

I missed out things like cable tv, so the family could sit down and watch Chelsea (some chance), broadband, and buying stuff to keep up with the Jonses (assuming they are in Melbourne). As we have shipped everything, including the kitchen sink, I guess there won't be too many big purchases to make for a while.

Keep the posts coming, I may decide to give up wine if enough of you think I am being too ostentatious, but if you aqre all planningm on popping round for a glass or 2, I had better stock the cellar. Do they have cellars in Oz?

Dave

"a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You have probqably got it about right.

Australia is NOT a cheap paradise.

I, personally, would not move halfway across the world to be worse off. I also suspect that most of the people who are migrating are not really expecting to be worse off either.

If you want a certain lifestyle then you will need to finance it. The free' stuff like beaches etc. will soon wear off.

You also need to consider how much a decent pension will cost...not many seem to factor that in

Do you really want to work until you pop yor clogs??

Good luck

G
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:46 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Ditto on all the holiday banter - $10k seems a little too much. Certainly for the first year or two when you are here. Perhaps once you've seen a lot of Oz you may want to go over seas. Fiji over xmas for example though will cost approx. $6,000 for two adults.

I think your $2,500 for clothes is way off the mark for a year. I'd probably double or treble it. Especially if you need to include your kids school kit and games kit, etc within all that.

I may have missed it on your list but there will be all the associated school costs (books, fees, etc) as well.

Other than that, all looks about right.

Foxtel is $95 a month (loads of Chelsea games on!!)

R
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:20 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

Do you really want to work until you pop yor clogs??

G
Not on your nelly
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:22 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DJMA
I am pleased this has sparked a lot of debate. The aim isn't to worry anyone, as there are, as been pointed out, lots of things that are not essentials like:
$10k on holidays, a case of wine a month (and I had thought I had cut down there), clothes (after all all I need are a pair of bordies and a t-shirt) and Julie's allowance. I thought the allowance was very generous, as she doesn't get anything normally.

From our previous visits to Oz, holidays during school holidays still seem to cost a lot. After all the posts on snakes, especially the big one caught on the fence that eats sheep or something, camping is out of the question. Anyway when you get to our age you need a little comfort.

Being a sad git I like to save for a rainy day. Especially, as this little jaunt is to Oz is going to make a huge hole in our reserves.

I assumed we had cash for a cheap car and with the c**p exchange rate would wait a while to bring over our sale proceeds, so we need to rent. I guess we plan on going back to the UK every couple of years or so, for the last 15 years we have been going to Oz regularly to see Julie's family and friends.

The whole aim of doing the spreadsheet was to get an understanding of what sort of lifestyle we could have at different income levels. Personally, I would like to be able to play golf, go to the beach, drink wine and take the kids to and from school, not necessarily in that order, and then really enjoy myself at the weekend. What Julie chooses to do with her few hundred dollars a month is up to her.

I missed out things like cable tv, so the family could sit down and watch Chelsea (some chance), broadband, and buying stuff to keep up with the Jonses (assuming they are in Melbourne). As we have shipped everything, including the kitchen sink, I guess there won't be too many big purchases to make for a while.

Keep the posts coming, I may decide to give up wine if enough of you think I am being too ostentatious, but if you aqre all planningm on popping round for a glass or 2, I had better stock the cellar. Do they have cellars in Oz?

Dave

"a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"
Dont know if your for real mate but I like you
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:41 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Vash
Please don't take this the wrong way but how long have you been living in the UK? Just you sound ust like my ubby and I a year ago just before we moved to Oz, (he is Aussie and had been in the Uk for 3 years at the time) Prices have gone up a hell of a lot on general living in that time.

As for holidays, yeah you can get really cheap holidays in a tent in the bush but for those who are goin to settle in WA and think that a holiday over east will be cheap might be in for a shock. I have just gone on virgin blue and picked the cheapest flights from PER to SYD rtn a month from today for a 12 day holiday for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 the cheapest selection came in at $1832.00, the most expensive selection came in at $4920, add to either of them flight prices accom, car hire, entertainment and food and I can see how $10k+ can go on a family very easily.

I live 5hrs drive north of Perth and for my hubby and I to go to Perth for 1 night driving costs us over $200 just in petrol, then the cheapest acom is around $100 for the night, then food etc we can easily spend $500 without even doing anything.

In a nutshell what I am trying to say is that the cheap place Oz was 5 years ago just doesn;t exist anymore.

Kala
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Vash
Please don't take this the wrong way but how long have you been living in the UK? Just you sound ust like my ubby and I a year ago just before we moved to Oz, (he is Aussie and had been in the Uk for 3 years at the time) Prices have gone up a hell of a lot on general living in that time.

As for holidays, yeah you can get really cheap holidays in a tent in the bush but for those who are goin to settle in WA and think that a holiday over east will be cheap might be in for a shock. I have just gone on virgin blue and picked the cheapest flights from PER to SYD rtn a month from today for a 12 day holiday for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 the cheapest selection came in at $1832.00, the most expensive selection came in at $4920, add to either of them flight prices accom, car hire, entertainment and food and I can see how $10k+ can go on a family very easily.

I live 5hrs drive north of Perth and for my hubby and I to go to Perth for 1 night driving costs us over $200 just in petrol, then the cheapest acom is around $100 for the night, then food etc we can easily spend $500 without even doing anything.

In a nutshell what I am trying to say is that the cheap place Oz was 5 years ago just doesn;t exist anymore.

Kala

I agree, except the food bit. You would be eating at home so thats not like an extra cost.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:59 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I agree, except the food bit. You would be eating at home so thats not like an extra cost.
Yeah although you dont have to eat out you do tend to a bit more on holiday
which could push the cost of food up a bit, unlesss you get a great deal on dominoes which often works out cheaper than cooking at home anyway
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:02 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Yeah although you dont have to eat out you do tend to a bit more on holiday
which could push the cost of food up a bit, unlesss you get a great deal on dominoes which often works out cheaper than cooking at home anyway

MMMMMM pizzzzzzzzzzzza
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Main comment seems to be 10,000 on hols is too much it would be if your happy to go camping of course.

But with just 2 of our kids, 10,000 would only just cover airfares to the uk and taxes nothing else. A 5 day trip to the snow was over $6000, thats the snow in OZ !! just airfares accom and hire.

Even days out cost a lot, people are talking about climbing the sydney harbour bridge, that is $800 for two kids and 2 adults.

When you look at it that way its easy to spend 10,000 a year on hols, say once every second year to UK and a trip interstate here the other year and that would easily top $20,000 over the 2 year period. Travels not cheap from this end of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.