Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian living costs

Australian living costs

Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Australian living costs

[QUOTE=Wal10]
As for keeping horses in Australia, they are cheap as anything to buy because there are so many cast-offs from the racing industry. Agistment is cheap enough, $25 a week seems to be average.

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance - is agistment the same as livery ?

Also nosey question - did you work in South Wales ?

Looking at all the cost of living figures, I'm assuming that I'm going to have to in Australia (especially if we get a horse).

Does anybody know what the chances of getting part-time well paid work are (e.g. accountancy).

p.s. My children already wear hand-me-downs (my daughter thinks its quite cool to wear her cousins clothes - but then she's only 8).

p.p.s. a recent visitor from Canada also stocked up at George, and commented that their prices on cotton clothing couldn't be beaten -even in the States.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Willij]
Originally Posted by Wal10
As for keeping horses in Australia, they are cheap as anything to buy because there are so many cast-offs from the racing industry. Agistment is cheap enough, $25 a week seems to be average.

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance - is agistment the same as livery ?

Also nosey question - did you work in South Wales ?

Looking at all the cost of living figures, I'm assuming that I'm going to have to in Australia (especially if we get a horse).

Does anybody know what the chances of getting part-time well paid work are (e.g. accountancy).

p.s. My children already wear hand-me-downs (my daughter thinks its quite cool to wear her cousins clothes - but then she's only 8).

p.p.s. a recent visitor from Canada also stocked up at George, and commented that their prices on cotton clothing couldn't be beaten -even in the States.

Yes, agistment is livery

Tracey
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:46 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tracey.d]
Originally Posted by Willij

Yes, agistment is livery

Tracey
What is livery?

Having a thick day today
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Why worry about things like that....I don't worry about the cost of our living in the UK, and I'm certainly not going to worry about the cost of living when I get to Oz. That's one of the reasons we are going, to reduce the amount of stress in our lives. I know it best to prepare (which I have been doing for over 2 years) but not to that extent.

We manage now, and will manage in Oz, simple as that. Emigrating is stressful enough without causing more worry.....

...They are my thoughts anyway, and it's how I feel...
ditto.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

whats wrong with you bread heads? don't you know the best things in life are free! seems to me you are missing the point of going to oz.
why dont you stay in dull old england and have posh holidays each year. in sunny australia perhaps!
glad to see some people on here have the right idea! australia is beautifull you can't buy that!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 9:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by island.girl
whats wrong with you bread heads? don't you know the best things in life are free! seems to me you are missing the point of going to oz.
why dont you stay in dull old england and have posh holidays each year. in sunny australia perhaps!
glad to see some people on here have the right idea! australia is beautifull you can't buy that!
The Isle of Wight is beautiful...you can't buy that.

G
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tiawamutu]
Originally Posted by tracey.d

What is livery?

Having a thick day today
No worries, I have a thick day every day . Livery is what you pay to keep your horse/pony. e.g. I have just sold ours but we paid just under £30 a week to stable ours which included hay but nothing else to be honest (bloody expensive hobby, which thankfully my daughter doesnt wish to continue is Australia!!!).

I know people on here say that it is cheaper in Oz but I enquired about it when I was over last year and was quoted around $25-$30 a week DIY which is ok but if you need part livery it was a lot more expensive. In fact, one of the places only done full livery, where thay do everything for you, you just go and ride the horse when you feel like it, although I don't personally see the point in that! That was quite expensive.

As I say though, I dont have to worry about that because my daughter is now in love with her new chihuahua instead. Which incidentally I paid as much for as I did her horse and costs more to insure although it's feed costs is significantly lower

Tracey
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

"a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"[/QUOTE]

I am so with you on that quote!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
The Isle of Wight is beautiful...you can't buy that.

G
your right it is. but its only warm in the summer and the waves are poor and cold. we've been on this island a lot of years and now want to move to a bigger island!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:28 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

but you cant live of fresh air can you
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wal10
A brief response to some of the queries that have cropped up in this long thread.

Hope this helps with some of your queries.

Yvonne.
I'd just like to say that your post was very good indeed and I hope does make a few people stake stock of the situation and at least be aware of what they are getting themselves into. Thank you for bearing your financial all, so to speak!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

'Here here'
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:05 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

I went thru the file and no way we are going to earn and spend that much money. For vacations and all shopping we will be off to Thailand. 1,000 A$ per ticket + you can buy half a container load of cloths for 3,000 A$. Another 1,000 A$, for hotels+tours. We are two people and from your 10,000 A$ vacation estimate, we can get stuff 5 times more than you have estimated.

I may be day dreaming.. but that's what we are going to do until we fully settle.. aim at 5 birds from 1 stone..