Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian living costs

Australian living costs

Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Post Australian living costs

Over the past few weeks I have been trying to work out what the cost of living a similar lifestyle to ours here in the UK may be in Australia. It involved visiting loads of websites for quotes, to gather info etc. I am happy the results are fairly accurate, but I could be wrong. There are 4 of us, 2 kids ages 10 and 4.

I used Coles online shopping to do a test weekly shop. The food hasn't arrived yet, but maybe I should have opted for airmail. I have included a case of wine a month with the food. No champagne!

I also included calculations on a few gross incomes, to see what I would need to earn to be able to afford this lifestyle in Australia. I was a bit shocked to see it came to around $110,000 pa.

The document is saved as a Word 6.0 document in the hope anyone interested can open it ok. Apologies if you can't read the attachment.
You can send me a PM and I will try sending it to you in a different format.

My only other assumption is being based in Camberwell, Melbourne where I needed to give a location for a quote.

I will welcome any comments. Hopefully someone will say I am miles out and could easily live on $50k.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
oz living costs.doc (38.5 KB, 577 views)
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian living costs

You're immigrating to a new country and you're planning on spending $10,000 on holidays ? Unless you are all coming back to the UK each year I'd say thats a bit much.
We've worked out me and the wife (no children) can live comfortably on $45,000.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJMA
Over the past few weeks I have been trying to work out what the cost of living a similar lifestyle to ours here in the UK may be in Australia. It involved visiting loads of websites for quotes, to gather info etc. I am happy the results are fairly accurate, but I could be wrong. There are 4 of us, 2 kids ages 10 and 4.

I used Coles online shopping to do a test weekly shop. The food hasn't arrived yet, but maybe I should have opted for airmail. I have included a case of wine a month with the food. No champagne!

I also included calculations on a few gross incomes, to see what I would need to earn to be able to afford this lifestyle in Australia. I was a bit shocked to see it came to around $110,000 pa.

The document is saved as a Word 6.0 document in the hope anyone interested can open it ok. Apologies if you can't read the attachment.

My only other assumption is being based in Camberwell, Melbourne where I needed to give a location for a quote.

I will welcome any comments. Hopefully someone will say I am miles out and could easily live on $50k.
I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Have kept a copy many thanks for that X
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

I'm sure looking at the figures there a lots of things that you could save on, over $10,000 on holidays is a bit much and i'm sure you could get a decent house for half that amount per week.

Savings of $6k, I would have thought you would save whatever you have left from your salary.

Mark
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

......... and WHY does David have more than Julie? ...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wildmark
I'm sure looking at the figures there a lots of things that you could save on, over $10,000 on holidays is a bit much and i'm sure you could get a decent house for half that amount per week.

Savings of $6k, I would have thought you would save whatever you have left from your salary.

Mark
I'm hoping to do it on a lot less, but maybe my estimate isn't as thorough ...

Have given the same for rent tho, as this is what we expect to pay for a decent property. There IS a lot lower, but we want something nice! ...

savings! ...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate..quite useful, although i do agree with the comment on 10k for hols..

What about BBQ and the beer fridge expenses
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thats expensive.

Where are you going on your hols? Plenty of savings also, does that not go towards the holidays? Nice personal allowance also.

Maybe I should reconsider moving there, its obviously only for the well to do people!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

How do these figures compare for you to your UK costs & earnings?

Just curious since its something I haven't looked at in depth (only 2 of us and no kids so not overly concerned).
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Australian living costs

What are these "sewerage rates" and "drainage rates"? I've never heard of such a thing; back home, I only ever paid council rates and water rates.

$2500 p.a. on clothes? Even for two adults and two kids, that's an awful lot. :scared:

Would you really need a case of wine per month? How much do you usually go through?

$107 pcm for home and contents insurance is astronomical; are you sure you can't get a better deal than that? I see that it's calculated on a rebuild of $400,000 and $114,000 contents, but these figures seem awfully high; why would you need $400,000 to rebuild a house, and what are you keeping in it that's worth $114,000? Gold bullion?

$10,000 p.a. on holidays? What's all that about?
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
What are these "sewerage rates" and "drainage rates"? I've never heard of such a thing; back home, I only ever paid council rates and water rates.

$2500 p.a. on clothes? Even for two adults and two kids, that's an awful lot. :scared:

Would you really need a case of wine per month? How much do you usually go through?

$107 pcm for home and contents insurance is astronomical; are you sure you can't get a better deal than that? I see that it's calculated on a rebuild of $400,000 and $114,000 contents, but these figures seem awfully high; why would you need $400,000 to rebuild a house, and what are you keeping in it that's worth $114,000? Gold bullion?

$10,000 p.a. on holidays? What's all that about?
Do you think Ill be okay then? Cos there is no way I am going to earn their ammount and I have 3 children also!!! :scared:
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian living costs

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Do you think Ill be okay then? Cos there is no way I am going to earn their ammount and I have 3 children also!!! :scared:
Mate, you should be fine.

My parents had 4 kids, and we did alright.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mate, you should be fine.

My parents had 4 kids, and we did alright.
Thanks for that - I was starting to worry!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:41 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul2004

......... and WHY does David have more than Julie? ...
Thats not a lot Julie come on put your foot down
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - just go to the vineyard and buy a barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.