Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian equivalent of Amazon?

Australian equivalent of Amazon?

Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:39 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian equivalent of Amazon?

Originally Posted by quoll
Ebay or one of the Amazons - usually UK but sometimes US
Problem with Aus ebay is not as much on as UK and I like to stick to in the country for ebay.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
By the time you convert does it work out cheaper than buying in Aus.

We have been after the DVD Leon in Aus called The Professional here but no local shops have it so looks like we will have to have delivered.
Is this the Leon starring Natalie Portman and Jean Reno?

If it is, and you still want it and you haven't yet ordered it, then drop me a pm

I'm in Albany Creek
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
By the time you convert does it work out cheaper than buying in Aus.

We have been after the DVD Leon in Aus called The Professional here but no local shops have it so looks like we will have to have delivered.

My all time favourite film
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
www.amazon.co.uk
Often works out cheaper even with the shipping

Hmm. Sadly there's a lot of stuff that Amazon won't ship here - Any electronics stuff is taboo apparently.

I've found this place to be pretty good, and pretty keenly priced with reasonable delivery times:

http://www.steeetwise.com.au

I bought my in car FM modulator from them, and it was nearly $40 cheaper than Hardly Normal.

S
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:46 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Australian equivalent of Amazon?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmm. Sadly there's a lot of stuff that Amazon won't ship here - Any electronics stuff is taboo apparently.

I've found this place to be pretty good, and pretty keenly priced with reasonable delivery times:

http://www.steeetwise.com.au

I bought my in car FM modulator from them, and it was nearly $40 cheaper than Hardly Normal.

S
http://www.unibooks.com.au
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:02 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in the UK then check out www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk for cheap DVD's (you can compare loads of stores around the world at the same time)

In Oz then we uses www.cdwow.biz - you can pay via sterling or Aus dollars as you prefer, and get free shipping.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
If you are in the UK then check out www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk for cheap DVD's (you can compare loads of stores around the world at the same time)

In Oz then we uses www.cdwow.biz - you can pay via sterling or Aus dollars as you prefer, and get free shipping.

Yeah, they have a pretty speedy turn around, but only do CDs, DVDs and games - no electronics or books.

I think it's worth supporting this mob if you can - they are flying in the face of the music and film industries and providing dirt cheap products all across the world. There have been attempts to get them closed down, but they seem to endure. Vote with your feet and wallets people!

S
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:21 am
Been here since 31.12.06.

off-to-melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used www.fishpond.com.au for books.

Although I am reluctant to recommend them as they have failed to answer all my emails and are not contactable by phone, they have delivered (free) everything I ordered, replaced two damaged books - even though I only returned one to them.

It seems though they are attempting to copy amazon's website and are probably worth a look.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:10 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Heres some websites I put together which lists UK Music/DVD shops that deliver Worldwide:

http://www.ukshoppingworldwide.com/Music.html

And heres the online shops for Australia

http://www.shopsinoz.com/music.html

Enjoy

Rach xxxx
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In Victoria, I think you'll find JB HiFi, is very popular as a source for DVD's and CD's nothing online comes to mind. There again you probably dont need a Aussie version of Amazon, as there are always cheaper points of purchase. Even cheaper than Amazon UK.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by tictac
Is this the Leon starring Natalie Portman and Jean Reno?

If it is, and you still want it and you haven't yet ordered it, then drop me a pm

I'm in Albany Creek
Haven't got it and still want it, you practically a neighbour. Are you coming to the beach on the 2nd of Dec at Bribie?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:51 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I use Amazon in the UK and just got some DVDs in 5 days from UK to Perth.
As an Amazon addict this has cheered me up-the books are so cheap
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

No import and tax then? Is that why cant order electrical stuff?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
No import and tax then? Is that why cant order electrical stuff?
You can go to about $2,000 a year before they start to look at tax.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just ordered some stuff on Amazon in the US - mainly electronic equipment (via rellies in California as they don't deliver this stuff to Australia) - AUD455 delivered to Australia. Same stuff bought here would be close to AUD1000 - more than double getting it from the US. One of the items - a Maglite LED torch - costs USD32.95 on Amazon. The cheapest I've seen it here is AUD130. I've actually seen it in a shop at AUD190!

To take advantage of the weak USD you will need to buy overseas. Aussie retailers are not going to reduce their prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.