Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop - Buy in UK or Oz?

Laptop - Buy in UK or Oz?

Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:12 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Laptop - Buy in UK or Oz?

What's the best plan? Will the power supply unit work in Oz with an adaptor or will it need a specific australian one?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:25 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laptop - Buy in UK or Oz?

I'd get one in the UK as you're gonna get more for your money. Dont worry about the warranty etc as most of the time they're more hassle than they're worth.

For the power supply, you can either buy a travel adapter for a couple of quid or you can get a whole power supply replacement. About $30.

I've gone with the plug option!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:29 am

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Nice one.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:31 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
What's the best plan? Will the power supply unit work in Oz with an adaptor or will it need a specific australian one?
Can't answer you exactly, but we bought ours en route, in Singapore.
It has an english 3 pin plug and works perfectly with an adaptor. Best thing we ever bought, as we researched and booked our short term accomodation in Oz on it while we were in Singapore. We also spent hours on it trawling realestate.com when we were looking to buy. Also, clearly great for e-mails, etc. Can't comment from a cost perspective, but it's one less thing to have to research and buy when you get here, from the enormous list of things you already have to do. In my opinion I'd definitely buy one and bring it over.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:41 am

Mainly be for keeping in touch with folk and research when I'm there. Also got a tonne of music and pics etc I'll be taking on an external harddrive I'll need access to.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought ours in the UK and have had nothing but trouble :curse:
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by hilary6
We bought ours in the UK and have had nothing but trouble :curse:
In what way?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Had loadsa probs with it and the warranty (supposed to be world wide )
doesnt count for anything

Hope you have better luck than us
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
You shouldn't have any problems with the power. My old laptop that I bought just before leaving the UK runs quite happily here.

I bought myself a MacBook Pro back in August on a Salary Sacrifice scheme. This has cost me a fraction of what I would have paid for it in the UK as I got the GST back and will pay less in income tax this financial year. The more you spend, the more you save, so get yourself a laptop bag, a faster hard disk, a mouse and any other peripherals you may want as well as the Apple Care Package (all on the same invoice) and you'll be set!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
You shouldn't have any problems with the power. My old laptop that I bought just before leaving the UK runs quite happily here.

I bought myself a MacBook Pro back in August on a Salary Sacrifice scheme. This has cost me a fraction of what I would have paid for it in the UK as I got the GST back and will pay less in income tax this financial year. The more you spend, the more you save, so get yourself a laptop bag, a faster hard disk, a mouse and any other peripherals you may want as well as the Apple Care Package (all on the same invoice) and you'll be set!
He'll need a job before he can do salary sacrifice

Otherwise the power over here is the same as the UK, you can just cut off the UK plug and screw on an aussie plug so no need for any adapters.

Price wise, you'll get more for your money and a better choice in the UK. Personally as a reseller of laptops I'd advise that you go to www.dmxdimension.com and find the best deals on Dell laptops (it's a UK website and nothing to do with me)

Apple are also really good but are quite expensive if you just need a PC for email, word etc
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
He'll need a job before he can do salary sacrifice
True enough, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Otherwise the power over here is the same as the UK, you can just cut off the UK plug and screw on an aussie plug so no need for any adapters.
I would also recommend, if anyone is bringing over a number of electrical appliances (particularly computer or kitchen related), to bring a few UK 4-gang extension leads with you. Then you can switch the plug on those when you get here and not need to change the plugs (and therefore retain their fuses) on individual appliances. Works a treat for me, particularly with items like battery chargers, which have the plugs inbuilt.

Apple are also really good but are quite expensive if you just need a PC for email, word etc
Indeed. As someone who uses a variety of computers all day every day (and have done for more years than I care to remember), I have to say that my MacBook is the best computer I have ever used. But that's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I was just using my recent experience as a pointer in my original reply.

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Nov 20th 2007 at 10:45 pm. Reason: Added note on fuses
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:48 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Aye, Salary Sacrifice is a great way to go for these things.

If the thing is needed before a job then maybe get a well cheap laptop second-hand to cover the gap and get a whizz-bang thing over here with all the savings? The bloody thing's drop in value like a stone anyway so why waste dosh ...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

True enough, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would also recommend, if anyone is bringing over a number of electrical appliances (particularly computer or kitchen related), to bring a few UK 4-gang extension leads with you. Then you can switch the plug on those when you get here and not need to change the plugs (and therefore retain their fuses) on individual appliances. Works a treat for me, particularly with items like battery chargers, which have the plugs inbuilt.

Indeed. As someone who uses a variety of computers all day every day (and have done for more years than I care to remember), I have to say that my MacBook is the best computer I have ever used. But that's a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I was just using my recent experience as a pointer in my original reply.
All agreed, the MacBooks are excellent and that's what I'd go for as well if money were no object.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:00 am
Just Joined

johnlemmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Laptop - Buy in UK or Oz?

scuba steve, I have used several outlets in Brisbane and they are cheap & reliable...

cost of my last laptop which was built for my needs at home & work (as a teacher) was $799 all up and includes all word programs and security...

that's about 350 quid I suppose, and they always fix any problems within 24 hours..

johnlemmon...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnlemmon
scuba steve, I have used several outlets in Brisbane and they are cheap & reliable...

cost of my last laptop which was built for my needs at home & work (as a teacher) was $799 all up and includes all word programs and security...

that's about 350 quid I suppose, and they always fix any problems within 24 hours..

johnlemmon...
$799, what sort of laptop is that then?

I'd rather spend about $1400 and get something that doesn't go wrong rather than spend $799 and get a 24 hour fix (and that must be a first in Australia, please publish who it is)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.