14.29%
Other type and Not Happy - please explain below
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Australian Employment status. Permanent or Casual

Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Australian Employment status. Permanent or Casual

For workers settled in Australia, are you in a permanent job or casual, and are you happy with that type of job status.

Any answers that don't fit the options, feel free to explain

Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:29 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Employment status. Permanent or Casual

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
For workers settled in Australia, are you in a permanent job or casual, and are you happy with that type of job status.

Self employed and happy [no box for that one]
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:30 am
ABCDiamond

any more voters to give their answers ?

Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

any more voters to give their answers ?
There could be but what about

Self employed

Unemployed

Subcontractor

Centerlink client

Brought so many pounds I dont need one

Employed on a contract that may/may not be reviewed

Relief work only

My family cover 1 6 and 7 of above.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
There could be but what about

Self employed

Unemployed

Subcontractor

Centerlink client

Brought so many pounds I dont need one

Employed on a contract that may/may not be reviewed

Relief work only

My family cover 1 6 and 7 of above.
It was easier to ask that, rather than give to many options that would confuse fom the actual information wanted: ie: how many do casual work compared to full time. I think that most people,who intend to be employees would be interested in these figures. If they are not intending working, due to having sufficient funds etc, then it wouldn't apply.

Subcontracting, Contracting and Relirf work only is casual isn't it ?

Self employed tends to be Permanent. When I was self employed I always considered it a permanent job.

Centerlink client ? These generally tend "not" to be working. "For workers settled in Australia, are you in a permanent job or casual," But some do casual work aswell, so could use the casual option.

I'll try to make the questions simpler next time.

Old Aug 14th 2004, 11:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Within the construction industry everyone from the principle contractor downward is legally classed as a sub contractor i.e doing paid work for the principle contractor. Being a sub contractor would therefore mean your self employed hardly classed as part time or casual

It was easier to ask that, rather than give to many options that would confuse fom the actual information wanted: ie: how many do casual work compared to full time. I think that most people,who intend to be employees would be interested in these figures. If they are not intending working, due to having sufficient funds etc, then it wouldn't apply.

Subcontracting, Contracting and Relirf work only is casual isn't it ?

Self employed tends to be Permanent. When I was self employed I always considered it a permanent job.

Centerlink client ? These generally tend "not" to be working. "For workers settled in Australia, are you in a permanent job or casual," But some do casual work aswell, so could use the casual option.

I'll try to make the questions simpler next time.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 11:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
Within the construction industry everyone from the principle contractor downward is legally classed as a sub contractor i.e doing paid work for the principle contractor. Being a sub contractor would therefore mean your self employed hardly classed as part time or casual
I agree, confusing If they work for a principle contractor on a regular basis, with regular work, then they could be classed as permanent ? But if they only do adhoc work, it could be casual. But for the purpose of this exercise, either one of the options or specifying in a post if the options do not fully fit, if they want to reply

Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:07 pm
ABCDiamond

11pm, 13 votes and 8 are permanent and happy. See how it changes overnight.

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:18 am
ABCDiamond

any more ?

Old Aug 15th 2004, 2:29 am
Badge

I am a full-time IT contractor, on a rolling contract. Of course, it is not a permanent job but I would not consider myself casual.

I am very happy as the contract is rolling. That is just the way the company likes it. Many of our contractors have been on the books for years.

BM

Old Aug 15th 2004, 3:04 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I've just got a casual parttime job at a bakery to start with.
At the moment I happy with this (except that I haven't started yet, this week, and I don't know how much I'll be getting paid! )
Later I would like a permanent one, I think.....

Happy with this now, cos it means I've got Aussie experience and a reference, I can get back my proper Aussie accent etc, and it's very nearby.
And I'm liking this parttime thing to start with
Old Aug 15th 2004, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough

self employed (salon owner) and happy but could be happier if I could get staff . So working solo with apprentice
Lisa
Old Aug 15th 2004, 4:39 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

ive been here 5 months now, and i start my 4th job tomorrow. im a welder but work through a labour hire company. yeah i would like to be permanent but as im casual i get paid more and by the hour. the downside is i dont get paid holidays or sick pay. but for the moment it suites me to be casual coz ive a deposit on a apartment to save for and a trip to thailand at christmas to save for.
i dont mind jumping from job to job as im gaining experiance and meeting new people all the time, some have become good friends. then perhaps when im more settled i`ll go up north to earn some big bucks.

but i still love it here in perth. ive made some excellent mates, 90% of em ozzie. its not true what they say about them all being disgruntled, unless thats the older australians.
i watched the boro v newcastle game last night tho, thats when i wished to be back in england, to watch my beloved team play at the riverside..

ah well. the sacrifices we have to make...