Reload this Page >

Australian education

Australian education

Old May 2nd 2024, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Busybee123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian education

Hi
does anyone or any families have any advice on the Perth education system, is it comparable to UK. Will a child who is clever do just as well (if they want to continue to learn)

thank you
Old May 4th 2024, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian education

Originally Posted by Busybee123
Hi
does anyone or any families have any advice on the Perth education system, is it comparable to UK. Will a child who is clever do just as well (if they want to continue to learn)

thank you
Some do say they found the UK education system superior to the Australian system on returning to UK. As far as WA goes, it would depend as in UK as to the area one is living as well as reputation of school and outcomes. Many are some what ordinary. On average 4 teachers resign a day , I believe just from WA alone 4 teachers resign every day. Hence there are issues and teachers have been protesting recently over pay conditions and concerns over personal safety.

Old May 4th 2024, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some do say they found the UK education system superior to the Australian system on returning to UK. As far as WA goes, it would depend as in UK as to the area one is living as well as reputation of school and outcomes. Many are some what ordinary. On average 4 teachers resign a day , I believe just from WA alone 4 teachers resign every day. Hence there are issues and teachers have been protesting recently over pay conditions and concerns over personal safety.

Thank you for your reply. We’d be moving to a pretty good suburb and the high school I would use is in the top 30 in the state. I did see that the teachers were striking recently in Perth for better conditions.

really do you think4 teachers resign every day in Perth, I find that quite unbelievable..wow

thanks for your reply
Old May 5th 2024, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply. We’d be moving to a pretty good suburb and the high school I would use is in the top 30 in the state. I did see that the teachers were striking recently in Perth for better conditions.

really do you think4 teachers resign every day in Perth, I find that quite unbelievable..wow

thanks for your reply
No personal experience of WA, only Queensland, but I believe there is a high resignation rate there, especially in rural and largely indigenous areas. Read some of the Aus news sites and you should get an idea of the problems there.
Old May 5th 2024, 1:59 am
Just Joined

elad76 is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll generally find the top state high schools have very high real estate prices around them, as the new wave of Chinese and Indian families flooding in want the best low cost education for there kids! So you have to way up what's best for you.
In Adelaide it's about $1000 per child per year in a state high school, although for low income households on the maximum family tax benefit the fees are waived
Old May 5th 2024, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply
Yes indeed. According to figures released 4 teachers do resign a day across WA school system. Perhaps more worrying is that almost half of compensation claims in the public sector total work force is made from within the teaching profession.

Or consideration our small state population, there are on average 14 physical assaults or physical threats per day in WA schools. One every forty minutes. More than half of WA's Principles, reported being subjected to physical violence during the past year. All of this is very easily confirmed on line.

Sadly we do have a lot of issues in this state. The police have been finding it hard to retain and recruit personal. Record numbers have been leaving. Hospitals are short staffed and beds can be difficult to obtain, but happily to level of decline is not as appears to be the situation in UK , which from a distance does appear to be in quite a state of decline. I don't discuss on line anymore other pointers of decline , but will say I am looking at relocating elsewhere. Probably more inclined out of Australia with The UK a consideration. The health care situation does indeed concern me there though. Will check out various factors when there later in the year.

But WA has changed almost beyond belief from when I was at school here and little for the betterment.

Last edited by the troubadour; May 5th 2024 at 3:17 am.
Old May 7th 2024, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thank you
Hi we have had experience of UK/Perth/UK education, we definitely did see a difference in Standards in the UK (might be different now) where our two boys were doing really well and upon our arrival in Perth our eldest was asked at his primary school if he would like to “jump” a couple of years but the pupils in the class looked like men to him and he said no, we just kept up with his school books from the UK for the rest of the year and his teacher gave him “different” work in class as well, my dad use to say “if a child wants to learn then they will” in the long run you go with the education system (wherever you live) and hope your child does well and is happy.
Which school will your children be attending I may know it.
Old May 7th 2024, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi we have had experience of UK/Perth/UK education, we definitely did see a difference in Standards in the UK (might be different now) where our two boys were doing really well and upon our arrival in Perth our eldest was asked at his primary school if he would like to “jump” a couple of years but the pupils in the class looked like men to him and he said no, we just kept up with his school books from the UK for the rest of the year and his teacher gave him “different” work in class as well, my dad use to say “if a child wants to learn then they will” in the long run you go with the education system (wherever you live) and hope your child does well and is happy.
Which school will your children be attending I may know it.
Thank you kindly for your reply. I definitely agree with you, as the academic year start differently in both countries. I think it would only be a problem if we returned to Ireland again. If we stay it wouldn’t be an issue. This is the thing I don’t know. Also maybe If we were to return to Ireland maybe coming back in year 10 wouldn’t be an issue, as there is time to catch up for gcse in year 11/12.

I was thinking of Winthrop primary and Applecross senior high if we move.

thank you for your reply , you are very kind to reach out.
Old May 9th 2024, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kindly for your reply. I definitely agree with you, as the academic year start differently in both countries. I think it would only be a problem if we returned to Ireland again. If we stay it wouldn’t be an issue. This is the thing I don’t know. Also maybe If we were to return to Ireland maybe coming back in year 10 wouldn’t be an issue, as there is time to catch up for gcse in year 11/12.

I was thinking of Winthrop primary and Applecross senior high if we move.

thank you for your reply , you are very kind to reach out.
I know both areas very well, nicer older areas and close to Freo and easier for Perth, this might sound rude but can you afford to buy in these areas, they are pretty pricey. We did not worry about education in the same sense as you as our intention was to live our lives in Australia and our sons education would be Australian, so if you have every intention of living the rest of your life in Australia you are maybe over worrying about education. X
Old May 11th 2024, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

I know both areas very well, nicer older areas and close to Freo and easier for Perth, this might sound rude but can you afford to buy in these areas, they are pretty pricey. We did not worry about education in the same sense as you as our intention was to live our lives in Australia and our sons education would be Australian, so if you have every intention of living the rest of your life in Australia you are maybe over worrying about education. X
Hi
thank you for your reply. No worries at all re affordability, it’s pretty crazy out there. I can afford a home in the catchment for Applecross, but not in the postcode Applecross itself. I wish I could live there right beside heathcote reserve, I’d definitely never leave🤣 We have a v good combined salary just under 380, so I think we’d be ok. .. right..Both got professional roles which are sought after atm.
I wish I could plan for my future but I’ve become a very present person. Because I will have a house here still and we are not selling up completely it makes it hard. I think the only thing that would make me want to move back would be if I thought the education wasn’t up to standard. If I was sure Perth is comparable to uk (which I find hard to believe that it isn’t) I’d stay permanently for sure. I’ve read a lot of negative comments regarding the education in aust and I suppose that has made me question things. My children I’ve school here and are interested academically , socially and love sports too. I’d hope this would continue in Perth.
Old May 14th 2024, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
thank you for your reply. No worries at all re affordability, it’s pretty crazy out there. I can afford a home in the catchment for Applecross, but not in the postcode Applecross itself. I wish I could live there right beside heathcote reserve, I’d definitely never leave🤣 We have a v good combined salary just under 380, so I think we’d be ok. .. right..Both got professional roles which are sought after atm.
I wish I could plan for my future but I’ve become a very present person. Because I will have a house here still and we are not selling up completely it makes it hard. I think the only thing that would make me want to move back would be if I thought the education wasn’t up to standard. If I was sure Perth is comparable to uk (which I find hard to believe that it isn’t) I’d stay permanently for sure. I’ve read a lot of negative comments regarding the education in aust and I suppose that has made me question things. My children I’ve school here and are interested academically , socially and love sports too. I’d hope this would continue in Perth.
Hi when you say “Perth is comparable to the UK” do you mean education wise or lifestyle?
Old May 14th 2024, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Hi when you say “Perth is comparable to the UK” do you mean education wise or lifestyle?
Hi
I mean are the two countries comparable education wise, apologies for the confusion.I suppose in regards to being academically successful if a child wants to learn.