Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:12 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Dollar - exchange rate?!

Originally Posted by gavbro
Well to all the people who said it would not happen.
It may not have got to $2.30 but $2.26 as it was yesterday is alot better than $2.05 when this thread started.

My friend has told me to hang on to as much as I can in pounds for the moment.
I am now in Aus and had to change some to live on, I got $2.22 which was OK.

But still have most of my money in the UK so when the rate hits $2.40 I will change mine.

I am like others, once it hits $2.40 don't think I have the guts to hang on for $2.45, just in case.

Gav
You were right:curse: I changed quite a bit when it reached 2.18 and then some more when it hit 2.25 - Fortunately (or unfortunately), the house sale hasn't gone through yet, so i've not changed anymore.

Looks like we'll be leaving our pensions in the UK now though
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

mark2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you feel safe with your cash in uk banks in the current crisis? We are in same position. Then again if you bring it over here none of its guaranteed is it.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mark2
Do you feel safe with your cash in uk banks in the current crisis? We are in same position. Then again if you bring it over here none of its guaranteed is it.
feel safe with Northern Rock they are 100% guaranteed on all savings etc
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by mark2

My OH rang and spoke to someone at West Pac who said that although they've not got the same sort of scheme as the UK (£50,000 guaranteed), they would be obliged to repay investors before other creditors if they got into difficulty - how true it is i don't know, but it's a bit late for us now, just got to hope it doesn't go bust
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:38 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mary1967
...just got to hope it doesn't go bust
Very few banks go bust, or have gone bust in this particular crisis; the exceptions would be those that have sought Chapter 11 protection (if you're in the USA) and that is not really going bust. What's generally happened is that the share price of a financial institution has dropped hugely, and another bank (or a government in some cases) has bought it. That's a very different thing from going bust.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but in times of crisis it's important to be aware of the distinction. Unless you're writing tabloid headlines designed to spread panic and make the whole situation worse.

b
Old Oct 5th 2008, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by benlast
Very few banks go bust, or have gone bust in this particular crisis; the exceptions would be those that have sought Chapter 11 protection (if you're in the USA) and that is not really going bust. What's generally happened is that the share price of a financial institution has dropped hugely, and another bank (or a government in some cases) has bought it. That's a very different thing from going bust.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but in times of crisis it's important to be aware of the distinction. Unless you're writing tabloid headlines designed to spread panic and make the whole situation worse.

b

I take your point, but i wouldn't rule anything out in todays current climate. Personally I would feel a damn sight happier if everyone's savings were guaranteed, especially mine!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

$2.31 to the squid as I type! Can't last . . .

D
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:39 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave_Kent
$2.31 to the squid as I type! Can't last . . .

D
I think you have a short memory. Try something like http://www.oanda.com/products/fxgraph/fxgraph.shtml and you'll see the exchange rate has been higher than this for most of the last decade.

Last edited by harrip; Oct 6th 2008 at 12:44 am. Reason: Better link
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
I think you have a short memory. Try something like http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory and you'll see the exchange rate has been higher than this for most of the last decade.
Indeed.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

That may be so H - but not in the period of personal interest to the missus and me (ie: the 12 months or so leading up to our move next week)
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

2.32437. If this keeps up I might bring some GBP over.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:57 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gavbro
Well to all the people who said it would not happen.
It may not have got to $2.30 but $2.26 as it was yesterday is alot better than $2.05 when this thread started.

My friend has told me to hang on to as much as I can in pounds for the moment.
I am now in Aus and had to change some to live on, I got $2.22 which was OK.

But still have most of my money in the UK so when the rate hits $2.40 I will change mine.

I am like others, once it hits $2.40 don't think I have the guts to hang on for $2.45, just in case.

Gav

2.33 today. I am hanging on to see what happens to the rate on Tuesday after the RBA cuts our rate and before the BoE cuts theirs on Thursday. We are poised to exchange our money on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
2.33 today. I am hanging on to see what happens to the rate on Tuesday after the RBA cuts our rate and before the BoE cuts theirs on Thursday. We are poised to exchange our money on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday.
Maybe some of this increase is the expected rate drop being factored in, but I agree it would be wise to wait until tomorrow.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Cooo...$2.36 at 05.39 BST today.
Haven't seen that for a while !!
(December last year for those that want to know!)
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe some of this increase is the expected rate drop being factored in, but I agree it would be wise to wait until tomorrow.
Not the only factor...Bloomberg reporting this a.m. "The carry trade is dead". Japanese yen seems to be an even safer bet than the US$ today.
AU$ has lost 3% against £ overnight. £ has lost 2% against the yen in the same period.
Wish I'd bought yen on Friday !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.