Reload this Page >

Australian Citizenship

Australian Citizenship

Old Apr 13th 2017, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Livinthedream1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Citizenship

Hi

Could anyone tell me whether you have to give up your original citizenship when you take Australian Citizenship. On reading the information I have to hand and looking on the Border AU website I can't find a definitive answer and wondered if anyone could help or point me in the right direction for an answer - many thanks
Old Apr 13th 2017, 6:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by Livinthedream1
Hi

Could anyone tell me whether you have to give up your original citizenship when you take Australian Citizenship. On reading the information I have to hand and looking on the Border AU website I can't find a definitive answer and wondered if anyone could help or point me in the right direction for an answer - many thanks
Depends on your original citizenship. Some countries allow dual citizenship and others don't. What is your citizenship now?
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Depends on your original citizenship. Some countries allow dual citizenship and others don't. What is your citizenship now?
We are British citizens now. Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We are British citizens now. Thanks
The UK allows for dual citizenship so you would not have to renounce that in order to become an Australian citizen.

Have you got a visa yet?
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:29 am
Just Joined

The UK allows for dual citizenship so you would not have to renounce that in order to become an Australian citizen.

Have you got a visa yet?
Thank you that's great - no visa citizenship is a condition of a possible job offer for my husband.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 8:17 am
Still alive

Thank you that's great - no visa citizenship is a condition of a possible job offer for my husband.
How does he intend to get citizenship without PR?
Old Apr 13th 2017, 8:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a Permanent Resident for five(I think) years before you can get Australian Citizenship. To be a PR you need to apply for a PR visa through skills/sponsorship.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You need to be a Permanent Resident for five(I think) years before you can get Australian Citizenship. To be a PR you need to apply for a PR visa through skills/sponsorship.
It's a job with ADF so he has to be a citizen within 90 days. Thanks for all your replies
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:47 pm
Still alive

It's a job with ADF so he has to be a citizen within 90 days. Thanks for all your replies
Has he had a successful EOI then? https://m.defencejobs.gov.au/recruit...izenship/army/

What occupation is he planning to apply under? As far as I can see Construction Project Manager isn't on the ADF list of occupations.

Last edited by Dorothy; Apr 13th 2017 at 12:50 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Has he had a successful EOI then? https://m.defencejobs.gov.au/recruit...izenship/army/

What occupation is he planning to apply under? As far as I can see Construction Project Manager isn't on the ADF list of occupations.
Yes successful EOI application is in just wanted to check on citizenship before taking it further.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Livinthedream1, I am a bit confused by your post. Does your husband qualify for Australian citizenship right now? If not - I cannot see how he could get citizenship within 90 days. It is not something you can just ask for and receive because of a job offer.

The PR pathway allows you to be eligible for citizenship after four years subject to residency requirements.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
Livinthedream1, I am a bit confused by your post. Does your husband qualify for Australian citizenship right now? If not - I cannot see how he could get citizenship within 90 days. It is not something you can just ask for and receive because of a job offer.

The PR pathway allows you to be eligible for citizenship after four years subject to residency requirements.
its a condition of acceptAnce into the ADF that he must take up citizenship. Not the normal Visa/PR route
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see, the ADF requires those on permanent visas to take up citizenship within 90 days of taking service, and has a reduced residency requirement to facilitate that. Interesting.

Good luck. You don't have to renounce UK Citizenship.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

ADF can and will fast track citizenship sometimes if they really want someone to transfer in. Just about the only time it happens, and we've only seen it on here a couple of times.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
ADF can and will fast track citizenship sometimes if they really want someone to transfer in. Just about the only time it happens, and we've only seen it on here a couple of times.
Indeed. For those interested, here is the relevant legislation:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2012A00119

As well as the Overseas Lateral Recruitment Scheme Handbook (the citizenship section is on p. 21):

http://www.defence.gov.au/DCO/_Maste...s-Recruits.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.