Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia..where the bloody hell are ya

I think you are intelligent enough to know full well why I am rolling on the floor laughing If it makes you feel better to think this country has no future then you go for it but we are here and seeing the facts.

Originally Posted by Zen10
As a patriotic British person I hope you're not sincere when you "roll on the floor laughing" about my country's predicament. What's going on in the EU and Britain is bloody serious. I have a sense of humour but I don't think this is a subject for laughter at all. The economy is buggered.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:14 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I think you are intelligent enough to know full well why I am rolling on the floor laughing If it makes you feel better to think this country has no future then you go for it but we are here and seeing the facts.
Chris - the facts are bleak. I'm not talking about what's going on in a couple of villages and a social circle of 12 this year and last year. I'm talking about long-term economics stretching half a century. Resources issues as well. I'm at a loss about what it can do other than continue to whore itself to the international banking fraternity.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The Australians have talked a fair bit about the British, which I hate because it makes them look parochial, but I understand because Britain obviously casts a long shadow over Australia. From the British perspective, they have lots of rivals in sport not least France, Germany and of course Argentina. A similar phenomenon occurs with the amount of time the British talk about the USA and take in American culture - when you go to the US you realize they never talk about Britain at all.

Australia would do well to let go of the "Pom" rivalry thing outside of cricket and move on....
As you point out it is the way of the world and for some to call it out as something special is to be part of the bias.

England should let go of it's US rivalry (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), NZ should let go of it's Aussie rivalry (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Australia about England (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Scotland about England (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Canada about US (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), let's now start on the Spanish speaking world, or the French etc etc etc
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:36 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
As you point out it is the way of the world and for some to call it out as something special is to be part of the bias.

England should let go of it's US rivalry (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), NZ should let go of it's Aussie rivalry (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Australia about England (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Scotland about England (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), Canada about US (smaller English speaking country vs bigger that ignores it), let's now start on the Spanish speaking world, or the French etc etc etc
Not long now till the US is a Spanish-speaking country
Old Aug 4th 2012, 3:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

English US rivalry I'm not seeing any evidence of it.

Originally Posted by fish.01

Old Aug 4th 2012, 3:45 pm
Banned

You will have your view and I have mine, that's fine. I have no idea where this country or any other will be in 50 years time. There is much more to the UK economy than banking. I consider the confidence shown in the long term economy by the UK keeping it's AAA rating very heartening. I really have no interest in trying to change your rather jaundiced view, we are here living it and sometimes I think people are describing a different country but as I say I have no real interest in attempting to change your view, it is what suits you.

Chris - the facts are bleak. I'm not talking about what's going on in a couple of villages and a social circle of 12 this year and last year. I'm talking about long-term economics stretching half a century. Resources issues as well. I'm at a loss about what it can do other than continue to whore itself to the international banking fraternity.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 3:50 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Look, let's face it, as much as webspeak would have it, we all know that, in all likelihood you are not rolling on a floor or laughing.

Basic intelligence suggests that you are just sitting at a computer tapping away your 'words of wisdom' in a generally upright position.

If you are indeed rolling on the floor and laughing I hope this is the case as it adds a layer of amusement for me.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

BOT...
Australia you're still 19th, GB are 3rd. I'm expecting a flourish of Oz medals in the last few days to save your dignity.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:29 pm
Banned

I hope you arent holding your breath waiting for that flourish ?

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
BOT...
Australia you're still 19th, GB are 3rd. I'm expecting a flourish of Oz medals in the last few days to save your dignity.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:15 am
Banned

You will have your view and I have mine, that's fine. I have no idea where this country or any other will be in 50 years time. There is much more to the UK economy than banking. I consider the confidence shown in the long term economy by the UK keeping it's AAA rating very heartening. I really have no interest in trying to change your rather jaundiced view, we are here living it and sometimes I think people are describing a different country but as I say I have no real interest in attempting to change your view, it is what suits you.
It's not my view, Chris, it's economics. British external debt is 360% of its ever decreasing GDP, which is an eye-watering $8,981,000,000,000. Australia's 95% of its increasing GDP, at $1,169,000,000,000. This is money that these countries owe foreign creditors. British public debt is nearly 86% of GDP, to Australia's 30%.

These facts are not subject to opinion. They represent a nasty monster lurking under the bed and if you choose to hide under the covers then so be it. I take no pleasure in this and I'm not crowing about it. I have strong pride in Britain and want it out of this mess. When I ask how this can be achieved all I get from people like you is "there's nothing wrong". That attitude is not going to help. The AAA was kept because of the cuts, which will badly affect future growth.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If you are indeed rolling on the floor and laughing I hope this is the case as it adds a layer of amusement for me.
It would be another layer of amusement on top of that if he were literally "ROTFLMAO".
Old Aug 5th 2012, 3:26 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It would be another layer of amusement on top of that if he were literally "ROTFLMAO".
I can picture that and it's disturbing.

In other news, it looks like some Aussie sailors are set for some gold so the pursuit of the Kiwis is on.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Well, it's an Australian broadcast what do you expect? Do you think they are going to be showing all the UK competitors instead? Most Australians want to see Australian athletes competing and the TV networks have to provide what the viewers want in that regard.

I thought this was just common sense.
UK Television doesn't just show the GB athletes. They show the whole range of sports at every Olympics I've watched. They do have round up shows that concentrate on the GB athletes but they don't only show the GB athletes and screw everyone else. The Oz coverage is very insular. So not quite as common sense as you'd think.....
Old Aug 5th 2012, 5:57 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

the future of the country depends on the once-in-four-years medal haul.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:48 am
Banned

Yes exactly my findings. The BBC shows the full spectrum of results and competition, obviously the bias leans toward Team GB especially as they are doing so amazingly well. Australian coverage has always been incredibly parochial and has always come in for huge criticism.

Originally Posted by John Mc
UK Television doesn't just show the GB athletes. They show the whole range of sports at every Olympics I've watched. They do have round up shows that concentrate on the GB athletes but they don't only show the GB athletes and screw everyone else. The Oz coverage is very insular. So not quite as common sense as you'd think.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.