Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia very Hard to get Job

Australia very Hard to get Job

Old Aug 16th 2003, 12:50 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
Just a quick question, where do all you long term expats get your info from that everyone in the uk is earning high wages? the uk has one of the highest levels of child poverty in europe, why?because their parents cannot earn a wage higher than the minimum. Do not assume that everyone in the uk is earning mega bucks and are not used to living beyond their means, i would assume that many people leaving the uk for australia with some money in their pockets have probably made most of their money from the sale of their house. It is wrong to assume that people do not live hand to mouth in the uk and wrong to condemn people who have no choice.

Love to all
Lynn

Most of us have earned in both countries and you think theres no poverty here dream on ,its far harder to get a living wage in Australia than the UK even for the well educated.

“Over the past two years the number of children living in jobless households has increased from 680,000 in June 2000 to around 850,000 in 2002 according to a recent Family and Community Services publication� explained Russell Rollason, Executive Officer of Anglicare Australia. “Not only do these children face a significant risk of living in poverty but also risk handing on disadvantage to their children�.

While Australia has enjoyed economic growth and declining unemployment for most of the past decade, that prosperity doesn't appear to have flowed down to many of those at the bottom of the economic tree.

A new report commissioned by the Smith Family has concluded there are nearly 2.5 million Australians living in poverty, which it defined as a weekly income of $416 for a family of four or $225 for an individual and that poverty levels have increased over the past 10 years.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 16th 2003 at 12:59 am.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:53 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia very Hard to get Job

Originally posted by chippy
I seem to remember you saying you were unemployed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes I am, by choice. Just left my $95k clerical job in Australia to move to the US to do some real engineering.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:01 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Florida_03
Yes I am, by choice. Just left my $95k clerical job in Australia to move to the US to do some real engineering.
Is the $95k significant ? Is it considered a respectful wage ?
Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:15 am
Not here

Originally posted by chippy
Is the $95k significant ? Is it considered a respectful wage ?
As a breadwinner, with wife at home and two young children, on that wage we got by. We got nothing from the government except a huge tax bill every year. It is better if both work and each earn less. So the Australian way is to reward you when you do not earn too much, does that make sense?

Last edited by Florida_03; Aug 16th 2003 at 4:20 am.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:35 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

As a breadwinner, with wife at home and two young children, on that wage we got by. We got nothing from the government except a huge tax bill every year. It is better if both work and each earn less. So the Australian way is to reward you when you do not earn too much, does that make sense?
Perfect sense. It's no different here. The bulk of my tax is paid at 40% (would be 43% in Aus I think) which is legalised robery as far as I'm concerned.

Is there not a fly in your ointment here though? Okay, you both work, pay less tax etc., but what about the quality of your home life as a family? Does this not diminish with the wife at work?
Old Aug 16th 2003, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

PB

Did i say there was no poverty in australia! I was merely pointing out that it is also hard to earn a living wage in the UK.

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I see Oz a chance to use my business acumen, cheek and risk taking to make some money one my own business idea's I have, first kids though.

Life anywhere is what you make it and about the risks and challenges you are prepared to take, follow your gut instinct and you will never, ever go wrong, see an oppurtunity seize it, that's my motto. Bring it on I say, the "jobs" I am looking for are plenty but I imagine will be hard getting into, but if I don't get I shall consider setting up on my own.

If anyone as seen the UK programme " I show you who's boss" well that's me. So I love doing that kind of work, not everyone's cup of tea and I love listening & chatting to people to "get to know" who can help.

so when I get there selling drinks on the beach job here I come
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

No one has mentioned here that the low wages in Australia can be partly blamed on the 'Award' system that is in place. Every job has an award rate which is set either by the State or Federal government, and employers are under no obligation to pay more than this - therefore wages remain low.

It is not easy to find a job here - in any field from the skilled to the unskilled, the job market is very, very competitive. I have applied for around 420 jobs over 10 months - total of 5 interviews as a result and no job offer.

There is a certain amount of nepotism as far as getting jobs is concerned. It really is WHO you know. Finally after 10 months of unemployment I have a job. It's unskilled, bloody hard work, the wages are poor, but I am working at last. I got this through a friend who pulled a few strings.

Those of you who say start your own business up have to remember that not all of us are cashed up and in a position to do so. I have a wonderful idea for a business, I know it will make money, I have done my research, and a business plan, but sadly I just don't have the capital I need to start it, and with a record of unemployment I cannot get a bank loan as yet.

To the person who said to a poster to start a cleaning business and employ 'mums' to clean houses - this is an area that is oversaturated, as are lawn mowing rounds, odd job men etc. Mums need a full living wage too, not just a few hours cleaning a week.

Don't forget that a lot of jobs that just about anyone could do in the UK require licences and qualifications here, or you need to be under 17 years old because some employers prefer to pay junior wages.

OK rant over - it's not easy to get a job, but it IS possible.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 9:07 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by wizzywozza
I have a wonderful idea for a business, I know it will make money, I have done my research, and a business plan, but sadly I just don't have the capital I need to start it, and with a record of unemployment I cannot get a bank loan as yet.
Hi, wizzywozza, great to speak to you again. Sorry to hear that you've been out of work, hope you're OK now. I'll be over to Adelaide as soon as that envelope drops through the letterbox, If you tell me what field your idea is in (you don't have to give too much away) I might be able to help, as you've helped me in the past. After all, I coming over with a few ideas myself. Email me if you want.

Steve.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza
No one has mentioned here that the low wages in Australia can be partly blamed on the 'Award' system that is in place. Every job has an award rate which is set either by the State or Federal government, and employers are under no obligation to pay more than this - therefore wages remain low.

It is not easy to find a job here - in any field from the skilled to the unskilled, the job market is very, very competitive. I have applied for around 420 jobs over 10 months - total of 5 interviews as a result and no job offer.

There is a certain amount of nepotism as far as getting jobs is concerned. It really is WHO you know. Finally after 10 months of unemployment I have a job. It's unskilled, bloody hard work, the wages are poor, but I am working at last. I got this through a friend who pulled a few strings.

Those of you who say start your own business up have to remember that not all of us are cashed up and in a position to do so. I have a wonderful idea for a business, I know it will make money, I have done my research, and a business plan, but sadly I just don't have the capital I need to start it, and with a record of unemployment I cannot get a bank loan as yet.

To the person who said to a poster to start a cleaning business and employ 'mums' to clean houses - this is an area that is oversaturated, as are lawn mowing rounds, odd job men etc. Mums need a full living wage too, not just a few hours cleaning a week.

Don't forget that a lot of jobs that just about anyone could do in the UK require licences and qualifications here, or you need to be under 17 years old because some employers prefer to pay junior wages.

OK rant over - it's not easy to get a job, but it IS possible.

Much as you can be congratulated on your determination, and though you may choose to see what has happened in a different light, I think your post says it all.

I think that to have to take 10 months and 420 applications to get a job and even then it is unskilled, low paid, and came through a friend pulling strings, as you say, is damning evidence of the poor jobs situation in Oz.

I admire your tenacity, but even I am shocked at how bad you have found things to be and I already have a very low opinion of the pom job market here.

No doubt someone may see this and think "You just got to get out there and grab it by the horns..." sort of thing, but there is a limit to that and I think Oz these days has crossed it. Frankly, Oz is just not worth the effort required to get a start here any more. Perhaps that is why more and more clever ozzie kids are leaving for careers overseas every year.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:03 am
Not here

Originally posted by Wilf
Perhaps that is why more and more clever ozzie kids are leaving for careers overseas every year.
This got me thinking of where a few friends from uni and work have gone.

Portland Oregon working on video compression algorithms.
Lund Sweden on solar terrestrial physics.
Orlando Florida on defense projects.
Reading Pennsylvania on nationwide leasing database development.
London on automated software manufacture.
Spain on ESA projects.

Just a few, but high percentage (don't have that many), of my close aussie friends who have moved offshore. Interestingly none have mentioned coming back.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

This got me thinking of where a few friends from uni and work have gone.

Portland Oregon working on video compression algorithms.
Lund Sweden on solar terrestrial physics.
Orlando Florida on defense projects.
Reading Pennsylvania on nationwide leasing database development.
London on automated software manufacture.
Spain on ESA projects.

Just a few, but high percentage (don't have that many), of my close aussie friends who have moved offshore. Interestingly none have mentioned coming back.

It sounds like these jobs need a good level of training and education and that is exactly what I mean. What is the point of all this education in Oz if they have to go overseas for rewarding careers? To my mind, Oz is not keeping up with the rest of the world when it comes to the work of the future and it is all very well for a few poms coming here to say "great, who needs to be modern?" but that will be no good for the young people of the future. Only an idiot likes working at well below their potential. Poms may not mind for a bit because Oz is a novelty for them, but it is not a novelty for Ozzie kids and they need good jobs, not boring rubbish - this is a bugbear with me. I know bright kids who cannot get apprenticeships now so I think even the tradesmen are being tight and not taking kids on for training up.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:30 am
Not here

It sounds like these jobs need a good level of training and education and that is exactly what I mean. What is the point of all this education in Oz if they have to go overseas for rewarding careers? To my mind, Oz is not keeping up with the rest of the world when it comes to the work of the future and it is all very well for a few poms coming here to say "great, who needs to be modern?" but that will be no good for the young people of the future. Only an idiot likes working at well below their potential. Poms may not mind for a bit because Oz is a novelty for them, but it is not a novelty for Ozzie kids and they need good jobs, not boring rubbish - this is a bugbear with me. I know bright kids who cannot get apprenticeships now so I think even the tradesmen are being tight and not taking kids on for training up.
There is much of the self and little of the whole that I hear so much these days from the robbers of the future. Could these people also be the same future members of the cash economy who's avoidance of their burden of tax rewards nobody but themselves. I guess that's it then.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

There is much of the self and little of the whole that I hear so much these days from the robbers of the future. Could these people also be the same future members of the cash economy who's avoidance of their burden of tax rewards nobody but themselves. I guess that's it then.

Yes, just what any country needs - immos/visitors working without paying tax. Oz and the UK both have large black economies. These tend to be the same people who go on about refugees getting government money and the unemployed being paid too much too. They do not see themselves as part of the problem while they are living off the money of old people paying taxes and kids going without a decent school building.

I have always paid my taxes and always will. I am sure you are the same. Some of us have to be the "fools" otherwise we would all be living like these grasping ratbags and have no schools, universities, healtcare, etc. It is never easy to live properly, giving a damn about other people, but I suppose some of us have to?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:57 am
Not here

Yes, just what any country needs - immos/visitors working without paying tax. Oz and the UK both have large black economies. These tend to be the same people who go on about refugees getting government money and the unemployed being paid too much too. They do not see themselves as part of the problem while they are living off the money of old people paying taxes and kids going without a decent school building.

I have always paid my taxes and always will. I am sure you are the same. Some of us have to be the "fools" otherwise we would all be living like these grasping ratbags and have no schools, universities, healtcare, etc. It is never easy to live properly, giving a damn about other people, but I suppose some of us have to?
You know the horrible thing is I DO feel more like a fool now than ever before. A close inlaw of mine was talking to me recently about his cash in hand jobs, he's a carpenter. He wanted me to help him answer questions for his contractor's licence. He has always made more than me in real terms. We're good friends but I'm feel more and more bitter. So fool me. Should have joined the crowd, but conscience is my pillow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.