Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia very Hard to get Job

Australia very Hard to get Job

Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

My hubby is a clever clogs bod & hasn't found permanent employment yet (4 months on). He's taken work in a different area (accounting, his past life) on a temp contract but is earning peanuts, not enough to live on. Engineering jobs are few and far between without the necessary relevant experience.

Talking last night to a chap he met working in the UK who has recently returned to Perth, it took him several months to find a job and he had plenty of Aussie experience. I think it certainly takes a while.

On the other hand I was luckier and working within a couple of weeks of getting here.

I agree with the other posters who say it is easier for trades people. Also it can often be who you know, not what you know.

Loopy
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:02 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I was given a bit of advice from a guy I consider a tosser,but I'm finding it to be truer the more I meet people here.
He said that when you get to Oz,lower your ambitions concerning work .He was a site engineer,degree qualified and all that,and in the UK,he wanted to get into senior management,get on the board of directors etc etc.Quite within his reach.When he came to Perth,he found work doing a similar line as in the UK,lower wages and less prospects but because of the opportunities in lifestyle and leisure here,lowered his goals.He just wants to live mortgage free as soon as he can,with a good private pension on the horizon.By not worrying about the hassles of managing or owning a company,he finds plenty of time to scuba dive,or take the kids fishing,to beaches or parks etc.All these kind of things he could only get in the UK by working his butt off-then not having the time or energy to do it.
Some of us couldn't handle having less ambition,but over here you can still achieve a good lifestyle with less wages-his theory after 10 years ,not mine.

So,even though pay can appear to be peanuts,it's something that can be accepted,I'm sure,especially if you come over with a few bob in yer pocket.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:11 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by baldbutts
I was given a bit of advice from a guy I consider a tosser,but I'm finding it to be truer the more I meet people here.
He said that when you get to Oz,lower your ambitions concerning work .He was a site engineer,degree qualified and all that,and in the UK,he wanted to get into senior management,get on the board of directors etc etc.Quite within his reach.When he came to Perth,he found work doing a similar line as in the UK,lower wages and less prospects but because of the opportunities in lifestyle and leisure here,lowered his goals.He just wants to live mortgage free as soon as he can,with a good private pension on the horizon.By not worrying about the hassles of managing or owning a company,he finds plenty of time to scuba dive,or take the kids fishing,to beaches or parks etc.All these kind of things he could only get in the UK by working his butt off-then not having the time or energy to do it.
Some of us couldn't handle having less ambition,but over here you can still achieve a good lifestyle with less wages-his theory after 10 years ,not mine.

So,even though pay can appear to be peanuts,it's something that can be accepted,I'm sure,especially if you come over with a few bob in yer pocket.

I agree with you on this , cutting out the bull it amounts to the price of a beach and better weather is less cash in your pocket and a piss poor job with little chance of improving your station in life.
You and your mates view of what makes a liestyle are far removed from mine but your post is what I expected from a failed Pom who will give this country little.

On one post you brag that $300k is cheap for a cannel block , how would the poor wages in WA pay for that or should the refugee earn it first in the UK.

PS not on your beach today is it too chilly , better to waste your days entertainment on the internet , get a job and get a life.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 15th 2003 at 4:33 am.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:19 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia very Hard to get Job

Originally posted by Kath

I think it's because I'm going for part time work to fit in with my children, ie. popular hours. Also, I wonder if it's because I haven't got any Aussie work experience?

In the true migrant spirit I'm getting my head down and found work locally - housework.... urgh!! My husband's work is going well, he found work immediately. I'll keep trying
Here, Here!!

My hubby went for another job the other day, they offered him the job and a starting salary of $13,90 an hour !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!! then up to $16hr when they saw fit. He is a qualified Wood Machinist and a CNC Operator and has had no problem getting work within his 'trade' but what lousy wages!!

He turned the job down by the way!!!!!

Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I agree with you on this , cutting out the bull it amounts to the price of a beach and better weather is less cash in your pocket and a piss poor job with little chance of improving your station in life.
You and your mates view of what makes a liestyle are far removed from mine but your post is what I expected from a failed Pom who will give this country little.

On one post you brag that $300k is cheap for a cannel block , how would the poor wages in WA pay for that or should the refugee earn it first in the UK.

PS not on your beach today is it too chilly , better to waste your days entertainment on the internet , get a job and get a life.

But that is the "paradise" of Oz, land of opportunity is it not? You earn your real money with which to buy a home in OZ in that "shit hole" the UK where everything is awful and no decent person would want to raise spuds let alone kids. Oz is a wonderful land of plenty where you cannot afford anything beyond the very basics on the terrible wages many people get and yet the UK is a shit hole?

UK - good enough to give you life and money to live it, but not good enough to live in. And the losers on this site wonder why the UK has problems with this pillaging and buggering off going on?
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Oz is a wonderful land of plenty where you cannot afford anything beyond the very basics on the terrible wages many people get and yet the UK is a shit hole?

UK - good enough to give you life and money to live it, but not good enough to live in. And the losers on this site wonder why the UK has problems with this pillaging and buggering off going on?
Hello Mr Wilf,
COuld you tell me what can be considered a decent wage in Oz......$100k per annum or lower? Thanks

Regards
Nina
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:29 am
owieb

Originally posted by NinaU
Hello Mr Wilf,
COuld you tell me what can be considered a decent wage in Oz......$100k per annum or lower? Thanks

Regards
Nina
A decent wage in Perth is around the $30K mark. $50K you're doing well. $70K very lucky, over $100K you're a millionaire!

Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:13 am
Badge

<QUOTE>
UK - good enough to give you life and money to live it, but not good enough to live in. <QUOTE>

Have to admit Wilf has a point here - many of the expats on this site have every reason to attribute their start up in Australia to the economy of the UK.

Having said that, these are the same successful people who if they play their cards right will also do well anywhere.

badgers

Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Just a quick question, where do all you long term expats get your info from that everyone in the uk is earning high wages? the uk has one of the highest levels of child poverty in europe, why?because their parents cannot earn a wage higher than the minimum. Do not assume that everyone in the uk is earning mega bucks and are not used to living beyond their means, i would assume that many people leaving the uk for australia with some money in their pockets have probably made most of their money from the sale of their house. It is wrong to assume that people do not live hand to mouth in the uk and wrong to condemn people who have no choice.

By the way Wilf, you remind me so much of my parents, firmly stuck in the 1950's, the same negative attitude the same dislike of anything new or change. You have some interesting points to make but people are'nt going to pay a blind bit of notice unless you remove that granite slab from your shoulder and drop the bitterness. You only get one shot at life if you're that bitter about it then do something about it.

Love to all
Lynn
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I beg to differ here. Been in Brisbane today, doing a business deal that will make a very tidy sum. I would post more details but some here have taken my money making snippits as bragging and that is not my intention.

There is money to be made here, however its probably not by working for someone else. Its by long hours, lots of research, yep I spend heaps of time on the Net, researching my business (hence lots of dropping in here as a bonus hard graft and taking a few risks.

We know plenty of well off people here, but all of them have their own business and all do really bizarre hours. I often start work at 6 am. I cant think of a better place for new business opportunities, its a new country, quite a way behind the majority of western cultures, great place to bring in the new.

Oz is not perfect for me, does not suit my active brain, however I think its a great place to own a business if you have the guts and graft to put in.

Come out take a so so job for a while to pay the bills, while you work a business plan, work out how many aussies you are going to employ not which aussie will employ you.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:01 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
I beg to differ here. Been in Brisbane today, doing a business deal that will make a very tidy sum. I would post more details but some here have taken my money making snippits as bragging and that is not my intention.

There is money to be made here, however its probably not by working for someone else. Its by long hours, lots of research, yep I spend heaps of time on the Net, researching my business (hence lots of dropping in here as a bonus hard graft and taking a few risks.

We know plenty of well off people here, but all of them have their own business and all do really bizarre hours. I often start work at 6 am. I cant think of a better place for new business opportunities, its a new country, quite a way behind the majority of western cultures, great place to bring in the new.

Oz is not perfect for me, does not suit my active brain, however I think its a great place to own a business if you have the guts and graft to put in.

Come out take a so so job for a while to pay the bills, while you work a business plan, work out how many aussies you are going to employ not which aussie will employ you.
Awww go on Dotty.....share please !!! I won't take it as bragging !

My wifes two uncles probably do somthing similar to what i "guess" you do. They buy and rent out properties, or buy to sell for gains. THey've basically done extremely well for themselves without ever working a day for somone else. Not to say they don't work, they work VERY hard, researching the market, and keeping their tennants happy....
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Well Said Dotty, i admire anyone who has the balls to make something of themselves no matter which country they live in. Too many people are happy to have their safe little life working for someone else and moaning about it. If people arent happy with their lot then they should quit moaning and do something about it.

Hope your business booms

Lynn
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by PeteY
Awww go on Dotty.....share please !!! I won't take it as bragging !

My wifes two uncles probably do somthing similar to what i "guess" you do. They buy and rent out properties, or buy to sell for gains. THey've basically done extremely well for themselves without ever working a day for somone else. Not to say they don't work, they work VERY hard, researching the market, and keeping their tennants happy....
Everyones jumping on the property bandwagon at the moment, thats Ok but a bit too obvious with lots climbing over the same stuff now.

Plenty of other business ideas here, all I can say is there are a lot of things in the world that have not hit OZ yet, bring em on
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:50 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty I like reading your posts, because although people say you are negative I think you are honest, very often witty and you post some excellent advice.

Wilf & PB also good realistic posts which are very hard to read for would- be immigrants like myself but nevertheless good preparation for the darker side of life in OZ. Like Dotty you both give good, often funny advice (when not engaged in a heated debate).

Please could you give me some advice. I am soon to graduate with a BSc hons in Computing I have no desire to work in IT I only did the degree to get me into OZ, as it turns out we don't need it but that's another story, anyway our plan is for my husband to continue working for BP and I plan to do a Post Grad Dip in education in Australia and teach.

My question is this what are prospects like for teachers in terms of employment(please don't say the words rural or remote) not wages(I know teachers wages are not brilliant) and would I stand more chance of getting a job if i do my PGDE when I get to Oz as oppossed to doing it here in the UK?

FYI we are looking to settle in WA and are prepared to live upto an hour outside the city costal suburbs not inland, which is the distance we live from London. I am 39 and my previous career, hence my work experience, is in theatre & TV actress/opera singer.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
ACE

Any advice from anyone else will also be most greatfully recieved.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 12:03 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ACE
FYI we are looking to settle in WA and are prepared to live upto an hour outside the city costal suburbs not inland, which is the distance we live from London. I am 39 and my previous career, hence my work experience, is in theatre & TV actress/opera singer.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
ACE

Any advice from anyone else will also be most greatfully recieved.
Distance learning? One road connected to many students. See how Eric Frey does it with computers.

Welcome Singers!

Hello, and welcome to the Vocal Release home page. I put up this site for people who are looking to learn how to sing for the first time the right way and singers who are interested in singing at star quality. And for people who sing karaoke or sing original material, but want to develop singing ability in the shortest time possible. Let me assure you, no matter what your voice sounds like now, it can be developed to astounding quality in a short amount of time.

Vocal Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.