Reload this Page >

Australia v Canada ????????

Australia v Canada ????????

Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

hevanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia v Canada ????????

Hi All

My partner and I are thinking about the idea of relocation to one of the countries mentioned,we are both in our early 30s with no ties and feel this may be a great opportunity for the both of us as we are both fed up with the Uk and both countries appeal to us as they have more of the Outdoors factor that is some what limited here in the Uk.

We would be renting our house out initialy so we will be renting / seeking work for the first few months.

I know it is a loaded question and down to personal choice but the question is Australia or Canada??? fors and againsts pls

Last edited by hevanna; Jul 15th 2008 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Australia v Canada ????????

I'm applying to leave Canada for Australia, so take that with a grain of salt.

If you choose Canada, be very very aware that winters in Canada are COLD, so you have to be prepared for that more than anything else. People from elsewhere can't fathom what it's like until they actually experience it.

Although I'm from Toronto, I would (and especially if you're into outdoors stuff), stay away from here and live in the west. Economy in Alberta is far stronger than Ontario, people there are way friendlier, and there's a lot more outdoors stuff within a shorter drive. The only bad part about Alberta is that it's winters are colder than Toronto (although, as they say in those parts, "it's a dry cold", so it doesn't necessarily feel any worse even when the actual temperature in Calgary is lower than Toronto.)

Last edited by torcraw; Jul 15th 2008 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevanna
Hi All

My partner and I are thinking about the idea of relocation to one of the countries mentioned,we are both in our early 30s with no ties and feel this may be a great opportunity for the both of us as we are both fed up with the Uk and both countries appeal to us as they have more of the Outdoors factor that is some what limited here in the Uk.

We would be renting our house out initialy so we will be renting / seeking work for the first few months.

I know it is a loaded question and down to personal choice but the question is Australia or Canada??? fors and againsts pls
I am Canadian who moved from Toronto to Italy and now heading to Australia in September.
If you love the outdoors I say go to the West coast Alberta, BC etc. If you are a city person Toronto is lovely. There are also some nice suburbs outside of Toronto as well i.e. Mississauga, Ajax, Oshawa, Richmondhill etc. Hope this helps.

enroute2padova.blogspot.com
2heartsinaustralia.blogspot.com
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevanna
Hi All

yes you got that right..LOL..it could be a very loaded question.

whilst i love the snow..and the winters here in canada...i prefer to be in australia. why..because

my family is there. firstly. my closest freinds are there.

however..i LOVE and MISS our beaches..and the whole lifestyle that brings with it. and yes even the sunburnt noses.a dn the weather...more summertime than canada..where it can be all too short.

idealy it would probably be great to..have aussie winter time in canada and canadian winter time in australia. opposites of course.

i would suggest just looking through the threads here on the aussie and the canadian forums. take a look at the ones with titles of place names etc. it will give you more of an idea.

one can look tho..read and talk with others..however..it realy comes down to where you feel the strongest calling. and also...

what lifestyle you want.

Australia..sun sand surf swimming...etc...and we do have a ski season in australia aswell.

Canada..snow..ski...swimming...etc regardless of what people say..summers in canada can be glorious too.....and the temps can get quite high.

it could depend on your employment. i think both have good opportunities. but to be honest..i find it a bit hard accepting that in canada a lot only get 2 weeks holidays for their first 3-5? years of employment. BUT then again..the medical benefits can be great!! you dont' get that in australia. IF you want private medical..you have to pay for it yourself and it is expensive. i paid into it for a few years. never used it. so stopped. now i just rely on medicare. and pay at the dentist etc as i need it. worked out to be much cheaper for me.

most of what i have said you already probably know..so not sure i have been much help....let us know what you decide on..is a big decision and not that can be made by what other people think alone..Good Luck...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Doesn't the immigration process for Canada take a VERY long time? If you're keen to make a move soon that might decide it for you.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Doesn't the immigration process for Canada take a VERY long time? If you're keen to make a move soon that might decide it for you.
Immigration to Australia takes long time this days too, however, still faster then to Canada, but not significantly anymore...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:57 am
Banned

venusgold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I am thinking of moving to Australia.
Can anybody tell me how long the visa process takes. Can I get my qualifications attested in the embassy in Dubai or do they have to be attested in the UK?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto (the big city in Canada, not the town in New South Wales!)
torcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura abouttorcraw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
it could depend on your employment. i think both have good opportunities. but to be honest..i find it a bit hard accepting that in canada a lot only get 2 weeks holidays for their first 3-5? years of employment.
2 weeks... that's not really standard, I've never had a job in Canada (or none of my friends/relatives that I'm aware of) where they didn't offer 3 as the default (plus the usual stat holidays). It's true that in most provinces the legal minimum is 2, but any reputable company I know offers 3 as that is currently the practical norm and they know people can go work somewhere else that does offer 3.

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
BUT then again..the medical benefits can be great!! you dont' get that in australia. IF you want private medical..you have to pay for it yourself and it is expensive. i paid into it for a few years. never used it. so stopped. now i just rely on medicare.
That's assuming that you've never been in a scenario where you have to rely on the now legendary waiting times for surgery or just sitting for countless hours in an emergency room, or even not being able to actually find a primary care doctor and needing to rely on walk-in clinics. At least in Australia, you have the choice of getting a private medical alternative and the govt. has incentives to actively encourage it. In Canada it's technically not even legal and you're stuck with the government monopoly (I say "technically" because there's always a way around anything and enforcement has become more loose over the years).

Last edited by torcraw; Jul 16th 2008 at 4:31 am.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by torcraw
2 weeks... that's not really standard, I've never had a job in Canada (or none of my friends/relatives that I'm aware of) where they didn't offer 3 as the default (plus the usual stat holidays). It's true that in most provinces the legal minimum is 2, but any reputable company I know offers 3 as that is currently the practical norm and they know people can go work somewhere else that does offer 3.

That's assuming that you've never been in a scenario where you have to rely on the now legendary waiting times for surgery or just sitting for countless hours in an emergency room, or even not being able to actually find a primary care doctor and needing to rely on walk-in clinics. At least in Australia, you have the choice of getting a private medical alternative and the govt. has incentives to actively encourage it. In Canada it's technically not even legal and you're stuck with the government monopoly (I say "technically" because there's always a way around anything and enforcement has become more loose over the years).
My half a penny:

There are ER line ups in Australia too, private hospitals do not do all the surgeries so in many cases you are stuck in line as well (and this is usually big "cases" surgeries). There are private clinics/ORs in Canada in some provinces where you can get faster access. I work in Health care here in Canada and will be working in Oz.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxyinitalia
. If you are a city person Toronto is lovely. There are also some nice suburbs outside of Toronto as well i.e. Mississauga, Ajax, Oshawa, Richmondhill etc. Hope this helps.
This part made me laugh out loud. Toronto is lovely? Compared to WHAT? Toronto is dirty, polluted and grey. Mississauga, Ajax and Oshawa nice suburbs? I think you need to give your head a little shake. You have obviously been out of Canada too long.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This part made me laugh out loud. Toronto is lovely? Compared to WHAT? Toronto is dirty, polluted and grey. Mississauga, Ajax and Oshawa nice suburbs? I think you need to give your head a little shake. You have obviously been out of Canada too long.
lol Dorothy. Toronto is not that bad compared to other cities. In fact when I went back to Toronto this summer I didn't like it at all, so I hear what you are saying. I will give my head another shake and maybe then I will say Toronto is AWFUL...as for the suburb, well I am a city girl if that says anything.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by torcraw

thanks for the added info

however...my husband with his company had 2 weeks holiday for the first 5 years! and it is a huge international company. now he gets 3 years up till 10 years. and i know of others the same.

i was lucky i got 6 weeks annual leave with my job. imagine the look on my husbands face when i told him that....
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by venusgold
Hi everyone

I am thinking of moving to Australia.
Can anybody tell me how long the visa process takes. Can I get my qualifications attested in the embassy in Dubai or do they have to be attested in the UK?
they have to be assessed in Australia (unsurprisingly given that's the country you want to move to)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tahititim
Immigration to Australia takes long time this days too, however, still faster then to Canada, but not significantly anymore...
I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's not true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.