Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or UK to get married?

Australia or UK to get married?

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or UK to get married?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Leaving aside the cut and pastes of who said what, in Immigration terms, 'financial requirements' mean set financial criteria that must be met before a visa will be granted. The UK has these financial requirements, Australia doesn't.

And the UK ones are discuessed in detail in the UK Visa forum here Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Leaving aside the cut and pastes of who said what, in Immigration terms, 'financial requirements' mean set financial criteria that must be met before a visa will be granted. The UK has these financial requirements, Australia doesn't.
Exactly, all I asked the OP if she was aware of the UK requirements, then someone else decided to post an answer to the effect it just required some forms filling, obviously I wish I hadn't bothered now.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
Exactly, all I asked the OP if she was aware of the UK requirements, then someone else decided to post an answer to the effect it just required some forms filling, obviously I wish I hadn't bothered now.
The link has been posted more than once to the UK Visa forum mentioning that there are a lot of threads about the financial requirements for a UK Spouse Visa, if that is the way the OP wants to go.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:49 am
Just Joined

TazCaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My wife doesn't qualify even after 36 years of marriage, even though my 4 Australian born kids do.
Thanks for the info ozzieeagle, though may I ask why your wife doesn't qualify?
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't speak for the UK, but if you go to our UK visa forum you'll find lots of info there. Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

As for Aus - a) if your partner arrives on a tourist visa, gets married,and then decides to stay (having arrived with the intention of only holidaying), he can stay onshore and apply for an 820/801 Spouse Visa. He would get a bridging visa when his tourist visa expires and you can live together from Day 1.
b) If your partner gets a Prospective Marriage Visa he has 9 months to move here, get married and then apply for the 820/801. Again you can live together from Day 1.

If he leaves again and applies offshore for the 309/100 Spouse Visa processing time could be a year or more.
Really helpful information Pollyana, thank you!
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TazCaz
Thanks for the info ozzieeagle, though may I ask why your wife doesn't qualify?

Whoops I deleted that because I hadn't read your post properly..... I thought you were living in the UK.

OK the reason she doesn't qualify is she hasn't lived in the UK for a period of two years ever..... She was there for 22 months from 1978 to 1980.

She needs to do that to qualify. Plus you also need to meet certain requirements ... financial mostly to live in the UK permanently AFAIK.... it's a totally lopsided deal at present as far as I'm concerned. I think we dont fall under those financial requirements as we were married before 1983.....however you probably do.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 24th 2016 at 5:55 am.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
I don't suppose you've got a British parent or grandparent have you?
Unfortunately not Lucky Lucan - if I had, none of this would be so difficult!
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spuddyo
In her other post, TazCaz chats about having a baby in UK or Australia - I wonder would that effect the 'where to get married' and Visa alternatives ? I haven't understood in the threads whether she is pregnant already and planning to migrate, or planning a child after the marriage and migration process is completed. Just a thought.
Not pregnant, just trying to figure out the best plan of attack given I'm currently in Australia and my partner is currently in Scotland (and neither of us with the ability to live or work freely in the other's country). We've been together 18 months and, having just been visiting each other on tourist visas, it's time we thought of a more permanent solution.

Ideally, we'd like to be able to be able to move freely and live and work in either the UK or Australia, so trying to figure out how best (and how quickest) we can do that - also trying to plan ahead a bit and think where we'd be best having a baby give that might be something that happens in the next couple of years too.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how you can have 4 kids that have UK passports and not be eligible for one yourself..... but there you go. Thats the UK ruling at present.

Actually just realised your OH is Scottish....no problem.....you'll probably be able to get a Scottish passport in a few years and qualify for living in Europe and the rest of the UK most likely.

Good luck

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 24th 2016 at 6:00 am.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Not sure how you can have 4 kids that have UK passports and not be eligible for one yourself..... but there you go. Thats the UK ruling at present.
Yeah I've seen some news stories about families being separated in similar situations. Are you all in Australia at the moment?
Old Aug 24th 2016, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TazCaz
Yeah I've seen some news stories about families being separated in similar situations. Are you all in Australia at the moment?
Been in Melbourne since 1980..... oh and a Australian passport holder since circa 1983....So I'm more than happy with my life at present. This passport thing irks me something serious though..Not sure how my Kids are able to automatically qualify for a passport without the mother doing the same. I wouldn't be complaining at all if my Kids weren't eligible... however if and as they are surely the mother should be as well.

The main issue in our own personal circumstance at the retirement stage of our lives is the possibility that we would want to have a retirement abode in the European region.... even the UK.... without jumping through hoops and protocols etc.

It's just stuff to look at in the future.... I'd say if and when Scotland becomes independent, which is as inevitable as Australia eventually becoming a republic... things might be a bit easier for you.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 24th 2016 at 6:17 am.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's because they had a British parent at the time of their birth and your wife did not. Given that your wife has Right of Abode in the UK you're in a pretty lucky situation compared to most people who now have to jump through all these financial hoops, British children or not.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the outcome here? Obviously the end game is to live together in either country. Did we figure out the solution?

Was it get knocked up and see what happens?

Is there such a things as a "boyfriend" visa for either country?

Did the marriage visa work as an option?

Sorry lost track.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

If a partner can come to Australia on a Visitor Visa (that does not have the No Further Stay condition), then they can apply for the 820 partner visa onshore and be allowed to stay without needing to leave again.

This is the simplest and cheapest option... Only $6,865

The PMV subclass 300 costs $6,865 + a further $1,145 for the 820. This also entails TWO applications, (300 + 820, paperwork nightmares). With this one you also need to marry before the 820 application.

The 820 direct route does not need marriage. A proven De-Facto relationship is good enough.

The 801 Visa is a free Permanent part of the temporary 820 visa, applied for again about 2 years after the 820.

All you need to prove is a real relationship.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
.... A proven De-Facto relationship is good enough. ....
Which doesn't help the OP and her fiancé as they have never lived together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.