Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or UK to get married?

Australia or UK to get married?

Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

TazCaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia or UK to get married?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
An British citizen wishing to marry in Australia only needs a normal eVisitor visa (subclass 651) which is free and can be obtained online with no supporting documents. From an immigration point of view then marrying in Australia is significantly easier. You should however check the requirements for marrying in the relevant Australian state or territory.
From what I was reading on the Australian immigration site, I thought a a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) was needed for a non-Australian wanting to enter the country with the intention to marry? If not, that's good to know - I assume it's just not something that's advertised?

A far more important question frankly is which country do you wish to live in after you marry? Both countries' immigration systems have their pros and cons and whilst Australia is arguably an easier and cheaper country to emigrate to as a spouse in the long run making a decision to move to the other side of the world needs include a lot more determining factors than the ease of obtaining the correct visa.
Where we *want* to live is, of course, our driving factor - though at this stage we are very open to both. We're considering a bunch of things including employment, family and various plans we have, but the purpose of my posts here are specifically about the visa requirements for marriage in each situation.

I also note that you have spent the last eight months in the UK where the maximum possible time for visitors is six months. Which visa did you hold to enable you to do this or did you do a 'visa run' to another country?
It was just a six month UK tourist visa, but while there I spent just over two months travelling in Europe, meaning I didn't go over the 6 months/180 days allowed on a tourist visa (I had previously checked this was ok with UK immigration).
Old Aug 21st 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A PMV is designed for if someone wants to come here, marry and STAY, then applying for a spouse visa. Just for marriage a tourist visa will do. Work the rest out later and do a Spouse Visa application from offshore if necessary.

Its easier than the UK where you have to get a specific visa to allow you to marry there.

Don't confuse getting a Spouse Visa with just 'getting married' which Ithink some well-meaning posters have done.
Ah, I see! I hadn't actually realised this was an option (not something I had come across in my research so far). Really good to know, thank you.

So essentially, he could come here on a three month tourist visa to visit me, we give one month notice to marry, and get married within the three months before he leaves - the we have the choice of applying for a spouse visa for him offshore to come to Australia, or me offshore to go to the UK?

And the same is not possible the other way around - on a tourist visa in the UK?

Last edited by TazCaz; Aug 21st 2016 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TazCaz
From what I was reading on the Australian immigration site, I thought a a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) was needed for a non-Australian wanting to enter the country with the intention to marry? If not, that's good to know - I assume it's just not something that's advertised?
Covered concisely by Pollyana.

Where we *want* to live is, of course, our driving factor - though at this stage we are very open to both. We're considering a bunch of things including employment, family and various plans we have, but the purpose of my posts here are specifically about the visa requirements for marriage in each situation.
Getting married is one thing but since you intend to stay together as a couple in either the UK or Australia then a more holistic approach looking to the relative merits of each country's migration process for prospective spouses would be a better idea as it may prove more efficient to move to the country of choice, marry and then remain without having to leave again and then attempt to migrate at a later date.

It was just a six month UK tourist visa, but while there I spent just over two months travelling in Europe, meaning I didn't go over the 6 months/180 days allowed on a tourist visa (I had previously checked this was ok with UK immigration).
That's good to hear as overstaying a visitor visa may have curtailed your options.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 6:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see! I hadn't actually realised this was an option (not something I had come across in my research so far). Really good to know, thank you.

So essentially, he could come here on a three month tourist visa to visit me, we give one month notice to marry, and get married within the three months before he leaves - the we have the choice of applying for a spouse visa for him offshore to come to Australia, or me offshore to go to the UK?

And the same is not possible the other way around - on a tourist visa in the UK?
All correct
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't confuse getting a Spouse Visa with just 'getting married' which Ithink some well-meaning posters have done.
Yep good point. I was referring to the spousal visa reading ahead with the posters intentions.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you realise that being married to a British citizen does not give you a automatic right to live in the U.K? you'd still have some hoops to jump through first.

Last edited by Lucky Lucan; Aug 22nd 2016 at 7:45 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
I guess you realise that being married to a British citizen does not give you a automatic right to live in the U.K? you'd still have some hoops to jump through first.
I do Lucky Lucan - I often think the whole process is made unnecessarily difficult on purpose...

Obviously every situation is different, but have you any idea how long it could take for you to be able to live together in the same country once married? I'm starting to fear it could involve more years apart!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For most people, with a demonstrably bona fide marriage, getting a visa is a mere administrative formality. In other words the hoops are the fees and paperwork, and not unduly challenging.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I do Lucky Lucan - I often think the whole process is made unnecessarily difficult on purpose...

Obviously every situation is different, but have you any idea how long it could take for you to be able to live together in the same country once married? I'm starting to fear it could involve more years apart!
Can't speak for the UK, but if you go to our UK visa forum you'll find lots of info there. http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...-visas-uk-196/

As for Aus - a) if your partner arrives on a tourist visa, gets married,and then decides to stay (having arrived with the intention of only holidaying), he can stay onshore and apply for an 820/801 Spouse Visa. He would get a bridging visa when his tourist visa expires and you can live together from Day 1.
b) If your partner gets a Prospective Marriage Visa he has 9 months to move here, get married and then apply for the 820/801. Again you can live together from Day 1.

If he leaves again and applies offshore for the 309/100 Spouse Visa processing time could be a year or more.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For most people, with a demonstrably bona fide marriage, getting a visa is a mere administrative formality. In other words the hoops are the fees and paperwork, and not unduly challenging.
And what about the financial requirements?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

I certainly think they are unfair, and designed to deter people, but where there is a will, there's a way, I don't suppose you've got a British parent or grandparent have you?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:50 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

In her other post, TazCaz chats about having a baby in UK or Australia - I wonder would that effect the 'where to get married' and Visa alternatives ? I haven't understood in the threads whether she is pregnant already and planning to migrate, or planning a child after the marriage and migration process is completed. Just a thought.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

There are no financial requirements for an Aussie Spouse Visa
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

There are no financial requirements for an Aussie Spouse Visa
I said this
this was the reply
and so my question was
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I said this

this was the reply

and so my question was
Leaving aside the cut and pastes of who said what, in Immigration terms, 'financial requirements' mean set financial criteria that must be met before a visa will be granted. The UK has these financial requirements, Australia doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.