Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Motorways can be very tedious but at least there is a choice. Also on the Continent the stop overs and road houses are more varied. Also of course the German autobahn is great to drive on in a fast car.

There is always great train options especially in Europe and a very extensive coach service in UK, as alternatives.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Motorways can be very tedious but at least there is a choice. Also on the Continent the stop overs and road houses are more varied. Also of course the German autobahn is great to drive on in a fast car.

There is always great train options especially in Europe and a very extensive coach service in UK, as alternatives.
Can't wait !! Yes, I do intend to take the time to explore, passionately await.
A train, a bus !?!?
I haven't and will never be seen on a train/bus as long as my butt points toward the ground LOL, thanks anyway, always by motorcycle(sometimes a car but very very rarely)

P.S: @aussietobe
I must be a dummy as I absolutely do not understand what your babbling about or how any of it relates to my questions.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
Can't wait !! Yes, I do intend to take the time to explore, passionately await.
A train, a bus !?!?
I haven't and will never be seen on a train/bus as long as my butt points toward the ground LOL, thanks anyway, always by motorcycle(sometimes a car but very very rarely)

P.S: @aussietobe
I must be a dummy as I absolutely do not understand what your babbling about or how any of it relates to my questions.
Some great biking country to be found there, although I'd be scared in some of the cities with the way car drivers are. For me a great ride would be in summer from Germany right up to the top of Norway during the height of summer, in the midnight sun, through beautiful countryside, not forgetting the Finnish lakes and Swedish forests en route.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some great biking country to be found there, although I'd be scared in some of the cities with the way car drivers are. For me a great ride would be in summer from Germany right up to the top of Norway during the height of summer, in the midnight sun, through beautiful countryside, not forgetting the Finnish lakes and Swedish forests en route.
Oh now ya' sweet-talking !! Sounds brilliant.
Sydney drivers no diff I'm sure, they hate bikes/bikers here with a passion and know the coppers will usually side with them, at 61(43 on big bikes) I've survived riding defensively keeping the attitude every SOB steel cage is your enemy and out to kill you.
The Amalficoast Italy few friends tell me, shown me their pics riding there also sounds fantastic as well.

BTW-Happy new year to all
(Yes Santa can use it too)

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 1st 2015 at 3:36 am.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
Oh now ya' sweet-talking !! Sounds brilliant.
Sydney drivers no diff I'm sure, they hate bikes/bikers here with a passion and know the coppers will usually side with them, at 61(43 on big bikes) I've survived riding defensively keeping the attitude every SOB steel cage is your enemy and out to kill you.
The Amalficoast Italy few friends tell me, shown me their pics riding there also sounds fantastic as well.

BTW-Happy new year to all
(Yes Santa can use it too)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...434b2d8f7f2c98
Happy New Year. I see your a man of caution with the shark defence in place. With such caution and history sure you'd be fine in Europe. Never been but Amalfi coast would be great as well. Italian drivers would scare me though.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that UK and eupore are much more about sport bikes. If you can appreciate them, then going to the Isle of Mann TT is a must - and you can even have a go.

http://touch.cycleworld.com/all/81353#1
Old Jan 1st 2015, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
Be aware that UK and eupore are much more about sport bikes. If you can appreciate them, then going to the Isle of Mann TT is a must - and you can even have a go.

http://touch.cycleworld.com/all/81353#1
Yeah thanks and aware of that, can appreciate the TT but more attracted to saddle time,
cruising the 2wheel caddy(will replace same bike below when arrive) is more my passion rather than watching any sporting event,
I'd rather deep fry my eyeballs than sitting down watching any code of footy, racing, cricket, golf, etc.
I'm just a mr mom & a rider, thats it, there is nothing else in life.
Become a very boring old man.

Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:10 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you travel to Europe or America frequently, it's irrelevant. Asia is not that far away.

Traveling OS over long distances is just a temporary inconvenience.

The everyday life is the most important thing.

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo
As those who have seen my other posts would be aware, I am not a fan of living in Australia and after nearly 10 years the novelty has truly worn off!!

.....Then I was thinking.. "Its too bloody far away, that's the main problem!"

Sounds like a stupid 'obvious' statement, but for years I have been telling myself "hey its not that far...only a day away"

It is not a day away... well actually it is, its a day away from practically everywhere and nearly two days away from England (our best travel time from door to door is 32 hours)

So if you want isolation, love spending hours getting anywhere, want to put visiting loved ones through the hell of very long haul flight and all the associated risks, and don't mind never being able to 'pop' anywhere... come to Australia where space and isolation are plentiful and the rest of the world 'aint that far away...on a jet!!'
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I feel for those of you who are torn between Australia and the UK.

That is a position I don't want to find myself in 5 years down the line, I can imagine it's not a nice place to be in. We have a week to make our minds up, due to my husbands employer needing to know. So, will we stay here in Australia or will we move back to England. We are in a position to do both. The easy option would be to move back. However, I do like Australia but I have to ask myself do I want it to be my home for the foreseeable future. Not sure. It's a tough one. My head feels like it's going to explode going over and over the pros and cons.

England offers us better education for the kids and more money, obviously we have family and friends there too, but I also have family and friends here, albeit not my childhood friends but friends none the less.
Australia offers us some fantastic weather which enables us to do all the things we love to do. I also love the overall optimistic attitude people have here, but is that enough to keep us here, I don't flipping know...

Eldest son wants to go in the RAF. He would have liked to join the RAAF but you have to be a citizen, so that would be 4 and a bit years wait. So that's a bummer.

Youngest son, who is the most a academic of the two has only had three days of school since we arrived on the 28th of August due to the school fannying about getting him a place. This was a major set back for me and him. If we do go back to England he will have to go back into year 9 rather than year 10 due to all the GCSE prep he's missed. Also he won't get back in his old school, places there are like gold dust, so it would be another new school for him. Probably one we would have to pay for, however if we moved back to the same area, he would still have his old set of mates, which are a good set of lads, same for the eldest, he had a good bunch of mates too.... Decisions, decisions....

If there's one thing I've learnt from this whole process, it's this.....' If it isn't broken, don't try and fix it!'

You live and learn!
Struggling to edit your quote on this stupid phone but I wanted to pick out your 'people are so optimistic here' comment.

Trust me, not many here are. It's all doom and gloom. The news is full of doom and gloom. The papers - Ebola, air crashes, people going missing, murders, shootings, dawn terror raids - it's constant negativity. It's why I want out. Even if just for a few month.

If I do have kids, ideally I don't want them raised here in england. The schools near me have 60 different languages in em. Hardly ideal is it?

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon. A familiarity upon my arrival would help me immensely.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aussietobe
These stats do not apply to the vest majority of people who live in Australia. There are still big distances to travel in the UK, have been on the m4 lately? Gridlocked traffic.
Takes me an hour to get from one side of Sheffield to the other at rush hour!! Similarly, it takes 45 minutes from Sheffield to Mansfield!!
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
Trust me, not many here are. It's all doom and gloom. The news is full of doom and gloom. The papers - Ebola, air crashes, people going missing, murders, shootings, dawn terror raids - it's constant negativity. It's why I want out. Even if just for a few month.
You're mixing with the wrong people. Everyone I know in the UK are happy and accept that shit happens but get on with their own lives. Much the same as here. The papers here cover the same shit, it's happening, it gets covered. I don't know anyone, whether here or there, who dwells on it. Where are you going to go where they ignore world affairs?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

I mix with a heck of a lot of different people. All range from 18-80. Manual workers and professionals. The richer folk tend to be a bit more carefree but that's to be expected. But even they have their problems. One guy I know was turning over £150k a month through Internet businesses (he had a hand in some of them comparison site thingies) until Google realised they could do what he was doing and not pay him the privilege. Lost £80k a month. Every month. So even he's in the mire now.

I've seen one bloke go from having his own business, nice home, stunning wife, mates galore - to an absolute wreck. All started when his wife had a brain haemorrhage and the state wouldn't give them a penny in benefits. Lost his business and home just to pay for her care.

But I suppose there are the positive folk. I live in Sheffield. Everybody is friendly. Help each other out. The south is the complete opposite.

But I digress from my point.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 11:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Where are you going to go where they ignore world affairs?
Large chunks of the USA perhaps?
Old Jan 1st 2015, 12:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Large chunks of the USA perhaps?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
Struggling to edit your quote on this stupid phone but I wanted to pick out your 'people are so optimistic here' comment.

If I do have kids, ideally I don't want them raised here in england. The schools near me have 60 different languages in em. Hardly ideal is it?

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you soon. A familiarity upon my arrival would help me immensely.
The alleged doom and gloom has never been any different in England, thanks in large part to a very competitive tabloid press and on the other hand a population that doesn't necessary want to be fed on the manta of how good we are or worse the best of everything.

Many aware Aussies feel a sense that things are far from alright. Whether the negatives are highlighted as in UK or only lightly touched upon, if at all in Australia it hardly makes a difference. House prices are out of reach of many first home buyers and work that is not short term contracts or casual is harder to find. 31% youth are un/under employed which is high in any language. Older people are wondering if they can afford retirement with the high costs.
We are principally a consumerist society and all that that entails. California Lite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.