Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by aries
I was in Australia for half a century and it never bothered me to be called a Pom. I didn't once consider it to be racist or derogatory, just a terminology between Commonwealth friends.
Yes you have previously stated this and a vignette about you sitting with aboriginal women ?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
Personal or subjective comments are unnecessary
Professor Andrew Markus with a sample size of over 10000 migrants between 2000 and 2010 found that racism is indeed increasing! FACT
Only 3 percent of British migrants in this period found Australians
"Caring friendly hospitable people "
FACT
The Australians on this website may hurl racist abuse my way for holding up Professor Markus's research mirror to them but a healthier approach would be
"What can I do to reduce friction , racism and increase tolerance"
Any prospective migrants from Britain to Australia read the comments on these pages and take note.
Not going to answer Pollyana's question then, even though that's the post you quoted.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not going to answer Pollyana's question then, even though that's the post you quoted.
Would you care to comment on Professor Markus's comprehensive study?

Would you care to moderate some of the comments which reinforce what Professor Markus has found.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 11:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Pagan Lady on another part of this forum got it right
Your outpouring of bile reflects your nature clearly
If you intend to live in Liverpool maybe not a good idea to link Scouser to Scallywag to thief ??
You started off ok, but you're just boring now. Ta-ra
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Look what I found...
Attached Thumbnails Australia is too bloody far away....from everything-troll_2.jpg  
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Personal or subjective comments are unnecessary
Professor Andrew Markus with a sample size of over 10000 migrants between 2000 and 2010 found that racism is indeed increasing! FACT
Only 3 percent of British migrants in this period found Australians
"Caring friendly hospitable people "
FACT
The Australians on this website may hurl racist abuse my way for holding up Professor Markus's research mirror to them but a healthier approach would be
Any prospective migrants from Britain to Australia read the comments on these pages and take note.
The British are not a race
Australians are not a race
An Australian being derogatory (more than just calling them a pom even) to a British person is being racist how? Being an asshole maybe but racist?

Suggesting that this is racist is left-wing, PC nonsense
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The British are not a race
Australians are not a race
An Australian being derogatory (more than just calling them a pom even) to a British person is being racist how? Being an asshole maybe but racist?

Suggesting that this is racist is left-wing, PC nonsense
Race a noun definition: A group of people United or classified together on the basis of common history nationality or geographic distribution. Eg The Dutch Race
Nothing to do with "left wing " ie political thought
Discrimination is neither left wing nor right wing, if someone takes a dislike to you because of your skin colour your accent your sexuality your language your religion etc etc
Odd in that in Canada and USA the race of Britons are warmly welcomed like cousins
In Australia ? Look at the comments above.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:54 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Race is broadly an obsolete concept (yes, I know some folk will argue otherwise but they're wrong, innit): AAA Statement on "Race" Or, for those who prefer a more interactive, less text-heavy approach: RACE - Are We So Different? :: A Project of the American Anthropological Association

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A couple of people grizzling on an internet forum does not make a country full of arseholes.
Love this Might make it my tagline

PS I am a left-winger and a PC lover and I have been called a POM on many occasions in Oz and NZ and it has never been in anything but jest and with a hint of affection. It's a shame if other folk have experienced otherwise but I don't think it's an issue worth giving any time to - much bigger issues of prejudice and racism to fret about.

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Feb 8th 2015 at 5:58 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 8:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Race a noun definition: A group of people United or classified together on the basis of common history nationality or geographic distribution. Eg The Dutch Race
Nothing to do with "left wing " ie political thought
Discrimination is neither left wing nor right wing, if someone takes a dislike to you because of your skin colour your accent your sexuality your language your religion etc etc
Odd in that in Canada and USA the race of Britons are warmly welcomed like cousins
In Australia ?
Look at the comments above.
Thats why I asked how long you have lived here in recent years? A question you dismissed as irrelevant.......Brits are welcome here even if we do get some teasing about our origins, strangely enough Aussies aren't lining up at the airport telling us to get back on the planes and chucking sticks and stones at us and some of us, shock horror, have lots of lovely Aussie friends.

I refer to myself as a Pom, the guys at work call me a Pom without any malicious intent at all and I am proud to be one
Old Feb 8th 2015, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My view is Poms are definitely warmly welcomed here. The vast majority of Aussies... well over 90 pct of people seem to feel that way as far as I'm concerned.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:03 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the Australians on this site are actually Poms.

FACT!

lol
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

FACT!

lol
Not this one!
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia ? Look at the comments above.
No, in Canada the nationality of Britons are sometimes warmly welcomed. Like Australians, we Canadians are a diverse people. Some will welcome the British and others will not. There is also a whole lot of back and forth teasing in the Canadian culture regarding origins. Take a read of the BE Canadian section to see what it's like there.
Originally Posted by Dreamy

FACT!

lol
Originally Posted by Kim67
Not this one!
Or this one.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to comment on Professor Markus's comprehensive study?

Would you care to moderate some of the comments which reinforce what Professor Markus has found.
First off, none of the comments on this thread can in any way be considered reinforcing this apparent study. I'm not going to start moderating harmless comments that are not abusive or aggressive. That's not how BE works.

Imo 'racism' is a much overused irrelevant term. We are all part of the Human Race. British is not a race. Neither is American, Indian, South African, Chinese, Italian etc etc etc. They are nationalities. I personally don't know anyone who's been abused by an 'Australian' for being British but obviously lots of people have been abused because of the colour of their skin/nationality by a small minority of halfwits. This is not racism and this does not, in any way shape or form mean that 'Australians are racist'.

As to the findings of this survey (which you couldn't even be bothered to link to), who were these 10,000 people? What are their circumstances, what are their personalities/attitudes/beliefs? 10,000 people over 10 years is a fantastically small sample of people, what were the demographics? When they say 97% found Australians to be unfriendly and uncaring, how was this measured? What form did the abuse take? Who were the Australians they were referring to? I'm British but I'm also now Australian. Were they talking about Australians who'd been here 5 years/10 years/100 years? If they were being abused, did they ask what nationality the person was? How do they know they were Australian? Someone calls me a Pom it's not being racist, it's no different, as has been said, to me calling someone a Kiwi, a Canuck, etc.

A survey means jackshit. It depends on who paid for it, what they were looking for, any ulterior motives, what questions were asked, how the questions were worded etc etc.

Instead of joining BE as an apparent newbie and jumping straight in accusing people of stuff how about you introduce yourself, your history, why you've joined an expat forum, why you've called yourself the name you have. I've answered your question, it would polite if you were to answer at least one of the many you've been asked.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Not this one!

My wife would also have less than 1 in 64 or it could even be less than 1 in 128 "English" heritage. She's got at least 1 in 32 full Chinese heritage though. Wouldn't know it to look at her being a natural green eyed blond.

As far as shes concerned she's 5 or 6th gen Australian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.