Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Jan 7th 2015, 8:50 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yeah, it's a shame that it's not more widely known when people come here to visit that they need to head away from the inner city, even the Story Bridge Hotel is always packed and has a couple of great restaurants.
We had our first proper meal in Australia at the Story Bridge Hotel - Himself's employer put us up in an apartment right next door. Even when we moved up the coast, if I had to go to the city, I'd park near the ferry terminal on Kangaroo Point and go across.

We arrived a couple of weeks before Australia Day and were most bemused by the cockroach races at the hotel.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We had our first proper meal in Australia at the Story Bridge Hotel - Himself's employer put us up in an apartment right next door. Even when we moved up the coast, if I had to go to the city, I'd park near the ferry terminal on Kangaroo Point and go across.

We arrived a couple of weeks before Australia Day and were most bemused by the cockroach races at the hotel.
Lucky they weren't cain toad races!!!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
I have good days and bad days.

Like others have mentioned, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the place.

On paper, everything is fantastic. Spiritually, things are not (in general).

Both myself and my OH currently have great jobs, nice house, holidays etc etc. I'm not 100% convinced the UK would offer me the same, hence my dilemma: do I stay or do I go.

UK friends have moved on and close family have emigrated to the Med so not really that much to entice me back to the UK other than that "feeling of belonging". It would be a huge backwards step (I feel) but I would, at least, feel at ease with myself again.

Of course, tomorrow might be a completely different story :-)

Yep! There's always tomorrow, I do feel for you and others who are in your situation though. Maybe a trip back to the UK would make you feel better? Just to make you realise how good you have it here if nothing else.
My husbands just flown back for a couple of weeks and he said, it's dull and cold and horrible and all the rest of it...but it's still home to a lot of us, even if it is naff weather ect...

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Actually molly Melbourne can get WAY hotter than Brisbane. Melb has only had one or two really hot days so far, it will get way up into the the mid 40's there. Often that is for 4/5 days of in a row. Summers hardly started yet

Brisbane is a more persistant, longer summer with a lot of 28 going on. Only seen 40 something once in 9 years in bris.

Extreme Dry heat or humidity is like pick the devil or deep blue sea, both evil IME.

Unfortunately the australian climate is a harsh one, bloody extreme, the UV a killer, but nobody in the UK would ever believe it. There used to be loads of posts on here from brickies, roofers saying it would be a great climate to work in, living here you were thinking WTF

Well I never new that about Brizzy and like Ozzie mentioned I always thought Perth was the hottest city.

Jad when I first saw workmen/builders working in the heat here with their wide brim hats on and totally covered up it made me chuckle, it was a strange sight when you're used to seeing the UK workmen get half naked at the first sign of a bit of sun.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Must have been late night opening
What I can't get my head around is how early the curry houses shut here. 8.30kick out time. The only thing you can get after 9pm here is a dominos pizza. Annoying because generally I'm not in the mood to eat until 9 or 10 on the weekend.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Perth used to have the honour of being the hottest place, but Adelaide has stolen the crown. I suppose we have to have something to brag about.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Guess it depends what you came from, came to and what you look for in life.

I was born and bred in a small country village and lived half my life in a small town. When we emigrated to Australia it was our first experience of "big city" living.

Enjoyed 9 years living in Cairns but when the kids left home we decided to try something different so headed for the South East.

Gold Coast: too commercial and busy.
Brisbane: Congested so unless you work there or want some shopping therapy why bother?
Redcliffe Peninsula: Nice sea front but otherwise bogans, bikies, hoons and the most obese people I've ever seen.

We've ended up on the Sunshine Coast which is lovely but also going to become very busy in the future with all the projects that have and are starting along with lots of residential housing. Infrastructure won't keep pace with it though so it's not what we want.

Doubt we'll ever go back to Cairns though:
1 Cost of living is too high.
2 It would be deemed politically incorrect for me to say.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I'm sure there are some great parts of Queensland. I've had some good times on Stradbroke Island and Noosa. Not exactly Brisbane though. I get to Brisbane every now and again. Its not offensive but lets face it - its a little dull. As you describe - big market town seems about right.

Directly or indirectly Brisbane gets smashed on BE.
So who gives a hoot about maybe a couple of forum posters ( some who I know personally ) slagging off a place ? Each to their own devices but it doesn't mean everyone feels the same ! What makes Sydney exciting to you doesn't necessarily make the world spin around any better . I / we think think a weekend down there is great but our requirements would be different again regarding living down there !
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Let's face it every Australian city is a bit dull.

Strange how you only started to be critical of Brisbane during your frequent attacks on Chris....well he has gone now.

You seem to think it winds me up now....but I don't even live there....I live nearer to the Gold Coast than Brisbane.......it's my son who lives in Brisbane and he threatened to leave his company if they did not transfer him back there...and most of his projects are nearer Sydney than Brisbane.

You really need to find a new axe to grind.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I like eating out, and I often either work late, or do something else up until I do. I used to take late eating for granted, but not any more, unless I just want a pizza.

Sydney's pretty pathetic TBH - it carps on about being a big, metropolitan world city, but is actually a very long way from it.

S
Fair dinkum,just happened to be in the Occidental couple of weeks ago and lights out we're before 10 pm . Melbourne has the same symptoms midweek as well in Cbd but not as many as good ole Brissy
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
Guess it depends what you came from, came to and what you look for in life.

I was born and bred in a small country village and lived half my life in a small town. When we emigrated to Australia it was our first experience of "big city" living.

Enjoyed 9 years living in Cairns but when the kids left home we decided to try something different so headed for the South East.

Gold Coast: too commercial and busy.
Brisbane: Congested so unless you work there or want some shopping therapy why bother?
Redcliffe Peninsula: Nice sea front but otherwise bogans, bikies, hoons and the most obese people I've ever seen.

We've ended up on the Sunshine Coast which is lovely but also going to become very busy in the future with all the projects that have and are starting along with lots of residential housing. Infrastructure won't keep pace with it though so it's not what we want.

Doubt we'll ever go back to Cairns though:
O
2 It would be deemed politically incorrect for me to say.
Lord haven't the prices gone through the roof ? Meals seem to start at $30+ in the main places. And even the Rsl is only cents behind ! Courthouse still open but sky brew house at airport has stopped selling their bestest drinks much to your pleasure for your next visit
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
So who gives a hoot about maybe a couple of forum posters ( some who I know personally ) slagging off a place ? Each to their own devices but it doesn't mean everyone feels the same ! What makes Sydney exciting to you doesn't necessarily make the world spin around any better . I / we think think a weekend down there is great but our requirements would be different again regarding living down there !
Be boring if we all liked the same places after all!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So who gives a hoThat's out maybe a couple of forum posters ( some who I know personally ) slagging off a place ? Each to their own devices but it doesn't mean everyone feels the same ! What makes Sydney exciting to you doesn't necessarily make the world spin around any better . I / we think think a weekend down there is great but our requirements would be different again regarding living down there !
I see you are in SE QLD and defending it. Thats fantastic. Not many do. I noticed earlier, Kim I think it was, mentioning some nice things to do and places to go in Brisbane. More of that please. I'm sure there are some good things in Brisbane. It needs you locals to tell us what they are.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

big market town seems about right.
Brisbane - big market town.

Really when did you last go there 1960?

Brisbane, like most Australian cities is never going to be in my top cities of the world, but its the third biggest city in Australia.

So Australia goes from Sydney, Melbourne to Country town.

Market town with well over 2 million people. Its a biggie

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jan 8th 2015 at 12:03 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Exactly right Polly,horses for courses as they say. We absolutely love popping down to Sydney (and even Melbourne is starting to grow on us now) for weekends etc but we know Brisbane / QLD woulld probably be the only place we would care to live in at the moment. Sure things could change in the future but for now .........
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Exactly right Polly,horses for courses as they say.
Which was the gist of what I was saying or at least meaning.

Because we come from different backgrounds we are all likely to prefer something different now and in the future that will change too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.