Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

These stats do not apply to the vest majority of people who live in Australia. There are still big distances to travel in the UK, have been on the m4 lately? Gridlocked traffic.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

They don't actually. People talk a lot of nonsense on this site. I guess the suburbs are not European villages where people sit outside watching the world go by and chat to their neighbours, which doesn't happen in the UK either.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

What? Anti-freedom legislation? please, You sound like a bikie...if so I wish you all the best in Europe, the land of the free!
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
They don't actually. People talk a lot of nonsense on this site. I guess the suburbs are not European villages where people sit outside watching the world go by and chat to their neighbours, which doesn't happen in the UK either.
Did where I lived

Seems like you talk a lot of nonsense as well
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
11 year olds adapt quickly. The exposure to other languages will be worth its weight in gold. Spain is very diverse. Looked in 2001 to buy a place there but went away at the time unimpressed. A lot has happened since of course and prices have been driven way down.

Spain is the most popular country with foreigners and not difficult I'd imagine to find a place desirable to your specifications. Close to the Portugal border I'd probably go for but there are many to pick.

Prefer Portugal myself, but Malta also a favourite. Big Aussie connection there and worth checking out. Only a short flight or ferry ride to Italy .
Overall Europe wins because of so many different cultures and languages. Spain is a great place, but don't forget that unemployment is high and salaries very low, just like Portugal too. Malta is a bit too small in my opinion and I'd find it too boring after a while, but that's just me. If you're retired and have some cash, it's obviously a lot easier to do what you like. I'm a long way from retirement, but we bought a plot of land in Spain last year and it's definitely affordable. Don't know if I'd want to move over to Spain full time (Ireland isn't that far from Spain), but who knows in the future. @ Blackey_Oz, what about marriage, seems to be the only way todayNot everything's perfect in Europe (see Russia Ukraine conflict) but where is it perfect. If you'd live in Spain, you could even drive to China on your motorcycle

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 31st 2014 at 7:46 am.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Which was where Grayling? Australians do not live behind big walls like in South Africa and to pretend they do is to peddle mistruths, based on bias.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

What? Anti-freedom legislation? please, You sound like a bikie...if so I wish you all the best in Europe, the land of the free!
Only an ignorant fool would not notice the erosion of australia's freedoms
Attached Thumbnails Australia is too bloody far away....from everything-nazi_australia.jpg  
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Overall Europe wins because of so many different cultures and languages. Spain is a great place, but don't forget that unemployment is high and salaries very low, just like Portugal too. Malta is a bit too small in my opinion and I'd find it too boring after a while, but that's just me. If you're retired and have some cash, it's obviously a lot easier to do what you like. I'm a long way from retirement, but we bought a plot of land in Spain last year and it's definitely affordable. Don't know if I'd want to move over to Spain full time (Ireland isn't that far from Spain), but who knows in the future. @ Blackey_Oz, what about marriage, seems to be the only way todayNot everything's perfect in Europe (see Russia Ukraine conflict) but where is it perfect. If you'd live in Spain, you could even drive to China on your motorcycle
It's helpful intelligent input like this I truly appreciate, thanks Moses2013
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Which was where Grayling? Australians do not live behind big walls like in South Africa and to pretend they do is to peddle mistruths, based on bias.
Darn close to it though in aspects. A self imposed isolation not necessary through fear of crime. Bias there is plenty of that. Just as there are plenty of awake Aussies as well to how things are panning out and opportunities abroad.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackey_Oz
Only an ignorant fool would not notice the erosion of australia's freedoms
I have no idea what some fear with the concept of freedom.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It's helpful intelligent input like this I truly appreciate, thanks Moses2013
You're welcome. We all have dreams and that's a good thing, but no matter where you go, there will be pros and cons. I think the most frustrating thing is that we live in a so called free world, but have all these visa requirements. I hope you can find a way to come and experience Europe.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

+1.
Exactly, seven yrs in the USA till '96 but never to Europe,
with 1/2 Italian (Mum's side) heritage my passion to go is at a fever-pitch, current oz anti-freedom legislations have stoked my fire to escape this penal colony,
some may say unfair with an 11yr old kid but be an education, for both of us.
With an Italian parent, you may have a claim for Italian citizenship by descent, which can be passed on the maternal side to those born after 1948. This would then allow you to pass it to your son from what I've read (only a quick read but probably worth investigating).
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
With an Italian parent, you may have a claim for Italian citizenship by descent, which can be passed on the maternal side to those born after 1948. This would then allow you to pass it to your son from what I've read (only a quick read but probably worth investigating).
Thanks Buddy but have been down that road(I should have clarified)
Mum born in oz to Italian parents,(passed away 1983) therefore she was an oz citizen, unfortunately the chain breaks there.
Keep 'em coming though by all means.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Dec 31st 2014 at 8:51 am.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 8:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Buddy but have been down that road(I should have clarified)
Mum born in oz to Italian parents,(passed away 1983) therefore she was an oz citizen, there unfortunately the chain breaks.
Keep 'em coming though by all means.
But she would also have been Italian by descent and able to pass onto you, unless her parents became Australian citizens before she was born.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

CATEGORY #9: Your maternal grandfather was born in your native country, your maternal great grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of his birth, you were born after January 1st, 1948, and neither you nor your mother nor your grandfather ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship. If citizenship is acquired by birth in your country and you meet all these conditions, you qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis. You must obtain certified copies of the following documents:
1.Your maternal great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy, also known as an estratto dell'atto di nascita
2.Your maternal great grandfather's certificate of Italian citizenship from Italy, also known as a certificato di cittadinanza italiana (Note: Most Italian embassies and consulates do NOT require this. The only ones we are aware of that do are the Italian consulates in Miami and Chicago. For information on requesting a Certificate of Italian Citizenship through ICGS, contact us at [email protected].)
3.Your maternal great grandmother's birth certificate
4.Your great grandparents' marriage certificate (If married outside of Italy, you will need an apostille and a translation into Italian.)
5.Your maternal great grandfather's certificate of naturalization (Click here if this is not available.)
6.Your maternal grandfather's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
7.Your maternal grandmother's birth certificate
8.Your grandparents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
9.Your mother's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
10.Your father's birth certificate
11.Your parents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
12.Your birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
13.Your marriage certificate, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
14.Your spouse's birth certificate, if applicable
15.Birth certificates for all your children under the age of eighteen, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
16.Any applicable divorce decrees/certificates (with apostille and translation)
17.Death certificates for anyone listed above (with apostille and translation, if for your mother, grandfather or great grandfather)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.