Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Dec 28th 2014, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
There seems to be a lot of people going back to the UK recently or not happy in Australia. I wonder why, apart from the fact it's far from everywhere.
Is the present economy a factor I wonder?
Probably. Now is normal. A few years back was not normal in some sectors.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a lot of people going back to the UK recently or not happy in Australia. I wonder why, apart from the fact it's far from everywhere.
I'm not aware of it being any better or worse than any other time. The people who are unhappy with their lot are, and always will be, far more vocal than those who are happy. The perception is down to where 'you' are emotionally speaking imo.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Unfortunately upgrades can only happen if you have the right class of ticket. The cheapest generally doesn't permit upgrades. That said I do have enough points for 3 return trips to London. Again only usable usually when I don't want to fly
That's a shame.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Probably. Now is normal. A few years back was not normal in some sectors.
Yeah, I think that's what tempted many over a few years back, hence the big pommie flood of the mid noughties.

Being a ping ponger do you reckon you will ever settle down once and for all in Australia now you've had a baby here? Or would you consider moving back to the UK to bring your little one up?

I'd be interested to see how many on here are thinking of returning back to the UK and why. I know for some, work is an issue but I'd also like to know if there are any other factors involved for them wanting to return to the UK.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame.

Yeah, I think that's what tempted many over a few years back, hence the big pommie flood of the mid noughties.

Being a ping ponger do you reckon you will ever settle down once and for all in Australia now you've had a baby here? Or would you consider moving back to the UK to bring your little one up?

I'd be interested to see how many on here are thinking of returning back to the UK and why. I know for some, work is an issue but I'd also like to know if there are any other factors involved for them wanting to return to the UK.
At this point I'm really enjoying Oz. Mainly the things I do outside work. Its all to do with the weather. I can get out more often in the year and get access to the outdoors more easily. Not so easy in London.

That said I would be happy to go back to the UK too. I probably wouldn't live in London but in a commutable location. I'm not really one to sit and ponder what could be. I try to make the best of wherever I am.

So will probably have to make a longer term commitment to a location when the child hits school age. Most likely will be the UK as Mrs Beoz will most llikely want to be near her family and as I'm not too fussed where I am so we will probably just go back.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good attitude to have. I think also think when you don't have school age children, you can relax a bit more knowing you don't have to worry about their education or being in a catchment area for a decent school ect... ( by the way, for the record and from my personal experience UK education is much better, but that's just my experience )

My hubby is exactly the same as you with regards to not being fussed where we live.

So far I'm finding it to be swings and roundabouts as far as the UK V Australia living goes, but I have to admit like you I think the sun makes a big difference to my family's standard of living. If you're into the outdoors then it's great. You can have a ball.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So far I'm finding it to be swings and roundabouts as far as the UK V Australia living goes, but I have to admit like you I think the sun makes a big difference to my family's standard of living. If you're into the outdoors then it's great. You can have a ball.
That's one of the things we are looking forward to when we return to England.....some decent weather to get out and about in....we have had More than enough of the Queensland climate

Have never spent so much time indoors.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's one of the things we are looking forward to when we return to England.....some decent weather to get out and about in....we have had More than enough of the Queensland climate

Have never spent so much time indoors.
Maybe Melbourne might suit you better? What made you choose Queensland and how long have you been there?
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Melbourne might suit you better? What made you choose Queensland and how long have you been there?
Too long

Why would I want to live in Melbourne?......we only came here because one of our sons lives here and he lives in Brisbane.

Would never have come if he wasn't here....it really is nothing special.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Even more returning to New Zealand. Australia has in recent years become more of an economy imv, than a country to put down long term roots. Make the money here as in ME, but spend it elsewhere. Somewhere more exciting or perhaps a better place to retire.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
Too long

Why would I want to live in Melbourne?......we only came here because one of our sons lives here and he lives in Brisbane.

Would never have come if he wasn't here....it really is nothing special.

Oh OK. I didn't realise you'd moved here for family, fair enough.

It suits some people and it doesn't suit others like most things I expect.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm not aware of it being any better or worse than any other time. The people who are unhappy with their lot are, and always will be, far more vocal than those who are happy. The perception is down to where 'you' are emotionally speaking imo.
More money perhaps but at a price. Less social connection, at least interesting connection. Very hard to imagine the loneliness in the age with life Down Under.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Even more returning to New Zealand. Australia has in recent years become more of an economy imv, than a country to put down long term roots. Make the money here as in ME, but spend it elsewhere. Somewhere more exciting or perhaps a better place to retire.
I think at this moment in time there are other places where you can make more money. The Middle East for one, also London's currently having a financial boom. I suppose it depends what sector you are in but I still think it's one of the main reasons people are leaving Australia.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
"Home is where the heart is" is a lovely pragmatic saying but IMO is too simplistic. .
to me... home is where the people you love are

And if you don't have any of those, then it's where ever the hell you want it to be
Old Dec 28th 2014, 1:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

And if you don't have any of those, then it's where ever the hell you want it to be
Home is where the people who love you are......this year I have sadly learnt there is a huge difference.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 1:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Home is where the people who love you are......this year I have sadly learnt there is a huge difference.
That, ladies, is why I have more than one "home".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.