Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Be careful when it rains
I had never bloody heard of Toyo, but after checking on the web they seem to be excellent.. assuming I don't get killed during the first shower I will see how they go
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Can't compare AU with UK but I can tell you US is cheaper in more categories than not - vast majority.
Relevance?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wasn't hugely impressed by being quoted nearly $2000 for a set of tyres this Tuesday

That was more than double the UK price... no idea why I bothered to check.. but it was about $208 each from Kwik Fit UK and $489 each here !

I settled for ToYo tyres rather than Dunlop.. brought the price down to 'only' $1200
Drive slowly!

What's more important, the cost of tyres or staying alive? Tyres are the one most important thing for a car. Don't skimp! Get a good set of Bridgestone or Pirelli.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JenniGee
For us, housing will be cheaper because we live within the commute to London, so rents are already extortionate, but that isnt necessarily true for other people, so be careful, $1400 won't get you much.
Don't hold your breath. All the reasonably priced rental properties have hundreds of applications and the landlord can literally take his pick. In the end you could end up paying upwards of $600/wk just to secure seomthing.

There's a massive property shortage in Australia and unless you want to live miles away from the CBD, getting a property is not as easy as it seems.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Drive slowly!

What's more important, the cost of tyres or staying alive? Tyres are the one most important thing for a car. Don't skimp! Get a good set of Bridgestone or Pirelli.
Have a read of the reviews and personal experience of Toyo. All seems pretty positive and the Japs don't generally make rubbish.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Relevance?
A third data point comparative & proximity to Toronto ……Australia is an expensive place there is no doubt about that. One just needs to google for the expensive cities in the world to get an answer..
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have a read of the reviews and personal experience of Toyo. All seems pretty positive and the Japs don't generally make rubbish.
Who writes the reviews? How many Toyo tyres do you see in motor racing?

Japs don't gererally make rubbish when it comes to electronic equipment and cars but they are not known for making tyres.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Who writes the reviews? How many Toyo tyres do you see in motor racing?

Japs don't gererally make rubbish when it comes to electronic equipment and cars but they are not known for making tyres.
Who writes the reviews? How would I know? Who are you?. What do you know?

Being 'in motor racing' in reality means bugger all. It's just a measure of how much the tyre manufacturers are prepared to pump into advertising.

As for not being "known for making tyres".. are you joking? Where do you think Bridgestone are from?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As for not being "known for making tyres".. are you joking? Where do you think Bridgestone are from?
...and Yokohama.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
...and Yokohama.
..and as Bridgestone actually own Firestone...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Being 'in motor racing' in reality means bugger all. It's just a measure of how much the tyre manufacturers are prepared to pump into advertising.
And R&D. In fact, in motor racing more money goes into R&D for tyres than any other area.

True and they are the only Japanese ones that I can think of that I would put on my car. Bridgestone in Australia are actually made in Australia (not that Australian made is any better).
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
...and Yokohama.
I wouldn't put Yokohama tyres on my car either.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

..and as Bridgestone actually own Firestone...
Yes, Bridgestone acquired Firestone, a US company.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jul 9th 2010 at 12:31 am.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Bridgestone acquired Firestone.
So, you asked me the relevance of comparing US to AU and yet you guys are going on about tyres. And I can tell you, in a typical bloke way there is a debate brewing!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by E3only
So, you asked me the relevance of comparing US to AU and yet you guys are going on about tyres. And I can tell you, in a typical bloke way there is a debate brewing!
It kinda got sidetracked didn't it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.