Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:01 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Talking about the price of lettuce, I don't think I have mentioned it since my first post back here....

So.. how much are lettuces where everyone lives ?
The things some people get off on!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about the price of lettuce, I don't think I have mentioned it since my first post back here....

So.. how much are lettuces where everyone lives ?
Don't know, I never look as I know I can't afford them!!!
How times have changed - remember when putting the words "price of lettuce" into Google would get the whole first page of results from BE
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't know, I never look as I know I can't afford them!!!
How times have changed - remember when putting the words "price of lettuce" into Google would get the whole first page of results from BE
Oh my god yes !

But now nothing till page 8, and it finds this, from 2004 ..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228476
I would have added something to that thread but it's closed

I think I will go for a trip down memory lane....

but before I do... www.stats.govt.nz gets a mention for lettuce on Google page 3

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
The things some people get off on!
You haven't been around long enough

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:32 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't been around long enough
Are you saying this what I have to look forward to when I reach BE Senility?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god yes !

But now nothing till page 8, and it finds this, from 2004 ..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228476
I would have added something to that thread but it's closed

I think I will go for a trip down memory lane....

but before I do... www.stats.govt.nz gets a mention for lettuce on Google page 3
Those were the days!!!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Are you saying this what I have to look forward to when I reach BE Senility?
Look at the date of that older post and this one 226770 and you will see that I was like that after only 4 or 5 months on BE !

Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Those were the days!!!
It was FUN

Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I am not sure you are comparing apples with apples there.

The Aus number ($1,183) appears to be for Feb 09 whereas the UK number is for April 08.http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]?OpenDocument

The UK says "Median", the Aus site says "Average" and whilst the somewhat poor notes don't say what sort of average they are talking about, it appears it might be the Mean.

I've not been able to find any data about the relationship between the mean and the median for 2008 data, but this is for 2004/05 and seems to indicate the median is around 13% lower than the "average"
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument
Quite impressive that the Aus "average" has gone up from $40,585 in 04/05 to $61,521 only 4 years later - a 50% wage increase!

Of course, comparing like for like is pretty difficult with currency movements, the Aus$ has strengthened around 10% against the GBP since the beginning of the year, we'd probably have to find some sort of PPP figure to show what any difference actually means in real income buying power.
Median wages are generally a bit lower than average (mean) wages. Probably about 10% or so. At current exchange rates, average wages in Australia are roughly 10% higher than the UK. That sounds about right.

It interesting how many UK migrants complain about wages being much lower in Australia when it's clearly not the case. Obviously a lot of them are moving to "lifestyle" places like the Sunshine Coast, so what do you expect?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Budawang
It interesting how many UK migrants complain about wages being much lower in Australia when it's clearly not the case. Obviously a lot of them are moving to "lifestyle" places like the Sunshine Coast, so what do you expect?
My wage dropped 100% !!!! But who cares, my wifes went up by 300%

Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

My wage dropped 100% !!!! But who cares, my wifes went up by 300%
Was she working for you, previously?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by caliburn
Was she working for you, previously?
No, she didn't have UK local experience, so couldn't get a UK job paying similar to in Australia.

Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice

caliburn, i think i love you! lolololol