Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:37 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
Common sense, knowledge of current affairs and a 2:1 degree which included a significant amount of economics

It was a joke mate.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Common sense, knowledge of current affairs and a 2:1 degree which included a significant amount of economics
I wouldn't go on too much about the economics degree, I've spent a good portion of my career working with economists and analysts and not one of them really has a clue what's going on. I'd put far more weight on common sense and knowledge of current affairs frankly.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I think your comment is stupid, if you don't think there's some that would wet themselves to see Australia go into recession, do you think what your describing there isn't going on all over the place, the difference is Perth overall is fairing better than most places, wake up and smell the coffee.
It may have been fairing well for the last few years but it's goiing through a major slowdown as a result of the iron ore blip, there's literally 1000s of engineering personnel being turfed out, although a small portion of the workforce most of these guys are at the front of development, so the slowdown will have a knock on effect for everyone eventually. Hopefully it's just a blip and as the oil and gas boom really gets going next year it will mop up where BHP and co left off.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:26 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
What's worrying me, as a renter waiting patiently to buy as house prices slide, is the fact that Gillard in in India today talking about uranium exports. Now, these are going to be MASSIVE in the future because of power demands, believe me, but my concern is that SA is one of the biggest uranium providers on earth. Ergo, when that kicks off SA will be the big mining boom state, and houses here will stretch far and away beyond everyone's means.
Well there is nothing like wishing thinking and that is extreme wishful thinking. I cant see uranium mining ever fuelling a boom in SA so I wouldnt worry too much.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:18 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Well there is nothing like wishing thinking and that is extreme wishful thinking. I cant see uranium mining ever fuelling a boom in SA so I wouldnt worry too much.
Aye, we shall see.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
It may have been fairing well for the last few years but it's goiing through a major slowdown as a result of the iron ore blip, there's literally 1000s of engineering personnel being turfed out, although a small portion of the workforce most of these guys are at the front of development, so the slowdown will have a knock on effect for everyone eventually. Hopefully it's just a blip and as the oil and gas boom really gets going next year it will mop up where BHP and co left off.

I know it isn't fairing as well I have family and friends who live there, but it isn't in recession and it's not just happening there, we have had recession or no growth here in the UK for over 3 years, with a million people extra unemployed, so we know about recession and Perth has a long way to go before it gets there.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:39 pm
Banned

Still no sign of Australia getting anywhere near recession, lol.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

What are you waiting for?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:41 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

omg
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
What's worrying me, as a renter waiting patiently to buy as house prices slide, is the fact that Gillard in in India today talking about uranium exports. Now, these are going to be MASSIVE in the future because of power demands, believe me, but my concern is that SA is one of the biggest uranium providers on earth. Ergo, when that kicks off SA will be the big mining boom state, and houses here will stretch far and away beyond everyone's means.
Yes, we had that in WA with the Iron Ore and China's huge demand for it (they now own a few Iron Ore sites in WA) once you could buy a not bad home in a not bad area for 124,000 (14 years ago) but the same home is now (360,000) and the area is not so good........problem for some is that not everyone is on "Mining" salaries the cost of living is just being matched with demand and lack of competition in WA. I would buy now while I could just to get on the housing market, it might not be your dream home/area but its a step on the housing ladder.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think your comment is stupid, if you don't think there's some that would wet themselves to see Australia go into recession, do you think what your describing there isn't going on all over the place, the difference is Perth overall is fairing better than most places, wake up and smell the coffee.
A few years ago China went into a "dip" and Iron Ore demand went down it had a knock on effect with WA, house prices went down (although food etc continued to rise) some new homes being built slowed and that also had an effect as one of the other main industries in WA is new homes for the new migrants (who largely came to WA for work) China then bought land in WA with Iron Ore and do mine it themselves with a lot of Chinese workers and also Australian and other overseas workers, demand is back up so are house prices etc. Maybe some countries for these reasons would want Australia to go into recession just to buy Minerals etc at better prices, no decent human being would want to see any country have a recession but then again human being being as we are have funny notions. Personally I dont know anyone, nor do I wish a reaccession on Australia.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 10:08 am
Banned

What are you waiting for?

A number 53 bus.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

will probably arrive around 2014
Old Oct 17th 2012, 1:11 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

or 2015 or 2016 or 2017 or or or or or or or
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth
or 2015 or 2016 or 2017 or or or or or or or

Or 3013, or 3014. Or or or or,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.