Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia Next ? - Vancouver Property Drops 30%

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Since when has 2 wages x 3 become the norm, I know some spruikers have been claiming 1 1/2 wages is the norm now you need 2 full time earnings to make it look affordable - come on!

What if you're single or want to start a family and bring the kids up, basically you're out of the game and won't be able to afford a mortgage.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having kids and putting them into full time day care just to afford a house. Their first few years are precious and important, they need their mothers. I can understand a couple of days a week but full time - that's a very sad state of affairs unless it is a single Mum who has no other choice then so be it - but just to get on 'the housing ladder', bloody sad. As a society we're going backwards.
Well Said. Parents are supposed to bring up kids, not daycentres.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mark wool
Well Said. Parents are supposed to bring up kids, not daycentres.
I agree.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:55 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree.
Fancy bringing up daycentres.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Fancy bringing up daycentres.
Does seem a bit odd how these things happen. Who actually brought them into it ?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...-business.html

Gold Coast housing hits rock bottom

Northern Coast unemployment hits 10%

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Gold Coast housing hasn't dropped anywhere near rock-bottom, in the opinion of a ex-pat with over 40 years experience of GC rises and falls
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have just arrived back at work after another week of house hunting around the Mandurah / Dawesville region and have to say that anyone who doesnt see a price correction getting ready to bite is blind. Went around loads of the display villages and the one thing that could be heard by the other visitors was "we cant afford it".

Heck, we are supposed to be the ones doing fairly well - professional in the mmining industry, and we are going to seriously struggle.

I remember the big crunch that happened some years ago in the UK and everyone ended up crying about negative equity. The cause was the prices had ngot so silly that the average person simply cant afford them
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I have just arrived back at work after another week of house hunting around the Mandurah / Dawesville region and have to say that anyone who doesnt see a price correction getting ready to bite is blind. Went around loads of the display villages and the one thing that could be heard by the other visitors was "we cant afford it".

Heck, we are supposed to be the ones doing fairly well - professional in the mmining industry, and we are going to seriously struggle.

I remember the big crunch that happened some years ago in the UK and everyone ended up crying about negative equity. The cause was the prices had ngot so silly that the average person simply cant afford them
I personally wouldn't bother looking at Mandurah for property to buy, it's on the verge of a bloodbath, Californian style.

Listings are building up and nothing is selling. Don't forget, Mandurah was touted as 'The Next Big Thing' several years back and loads of greedy investors piled in hoping to make a quick buck and now they are stuffed with property unable to sell below wht they paid for it. At one point Mandurah real estate was more expensive than The Hamptons, New York, FFS!

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Mandurah but the asking prices for what is essentially a town in the middle of nowhere on the edge of a country near nowhere, the prices need questioning. Same goes for The Vines, gee whiz, backs onto a golf course in the middle of nowhere and yet $700K will get you an average home there.

People have totally lost the plot here.

I agree with your sentiment, same as mine, we earn a good income, have a fantastic deposit to buy but the numbers don't add up right now. Time will tell I guess but we're in no rush.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by folic

Northern Coast unemployment hits 10%

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Gold Coast housing hasn't dropped anywhere near rock-bottom, in the opinion of a ex-pat with over 40 years experience of GC rises and falls
Anecdotal from GC is that there are tons of units unsold and massively oversupplied, developers have gone bust but banks are not selling units in a fire sale as they don't want the 'loses' on their books.

Again, a mini California out in GC.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your sentiment, same as mine, we earn a good income, have a fantastic deposit to buy but the numbers don't add up right now. Time will tell I guess but we're in no rush.
That's where I am too, good income, good deposit and enough good sense not to buy a house in this market.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by folic

But again, the article is talking about new dwelling approval statistics, not prices. Therefore the numbers of available properties will be shrinking. What will that do to the normal supply and demand reaction with prices ?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast housing is very diverse and fantastic acreage 10 mins from town if you are into that kind of thing is available for the price of a pretty average unit in Main Beach.

The acreage often looks like it is worth whats being asked the unit often does not.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
Gold Coast housing is very diverse and fantastic acreage 10 mins from town if you are into that kind of thing is available for the price of a pretty average unit in Main Beach.

The acreage often looks like it is worth whats being asked the unit often does not.
I agree with that, the hinterland is gorgeous.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by freebo
That's where I am too, good income, good deposit and enough good sense not to buy a house in this market.
Same here, have a good lump in a term deposit account of 6.00% been looking at plenty of houses recently to gauge the current market. Sydney is tough and I can see some of the heat has come out of the market but I am not hedging my bets on a major drop in market price to buy a really good house in a sensible location.

Really if there is a slump it will probably affect the areas that most people who post on these boards would not want to live..

My OH father has lived in Sydney for 30 years and he says that some areas you cant go wrong... but that is balanced out by places that you could lose.

Problem is that I just want to live in the area that you cant lose but so does everybody else... I could hang on for another few years but I don't want to be paying a Mortgage in my 70's
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But again, the article is talking about new dwelling approval statistics, not prices. Therefore the numbers of available properties will be shrinking. What will that do to the normal supply and demand reaction with prices ?
That's where everyone gets it wrong with regards to supply and demand. They forget the PRICE. There's an assumption that people will pay 'anything' because there is an underlying demand for it and therefore price will rise regardless and to infinity and to the sky. This assumption is wrong.

Just look at Aus over the last couple of years, people are now questioning and worrying about costs of basics like housing. When I came over 8 years ago, forums like these were chocka with 'what should we do with our left over cash, boat or investment property or villa in Bali?'. The game has changed here, people are getting priced out.

Just look at this, house up for auction in Hartlepool for £10K. Can't see many people from that area affording Aus thesedays and yet 10 years ago, people were indeed swapping their Hartlepool hovels for 4x2 with pool in good areas of Perth.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-10-000.html
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:25 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Just look at this, house up for auction in Hartlepool for £10K.
I'm sure there are bargains like that to be had around Australia (within an hour or so of a city).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.