Reload this Page >

australia or new zealand to bring up young family

australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Hi

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

We have family out in both but really can't decide

my partners job is pretty flexible as there is work available in both

Looking for honest opinions pros and cons for both

Thanks
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Originally Posted by Gemmae31
Hi

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

Thanks
There may be work available in both countries, but do you qualify for visas? That's the first hurdle to overcome
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Gemmae31 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have done the skilled assessment and his job is in demand in both
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 1:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
One of the main problems about raising your kids in NZ is that they will end up speaking with that wanker kiwi accent

Best avoided if at all possible
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, i dont think either give a better life - just a different one.

Both have their share of the same problems - crime, teen pregnancy, gangs, drugs and pretty much everything else - though unemployment is increasing here while decreasing in the UK.

Both are just first world countries with first world issues.

Also, do not assume that an occupation on one of the lists means that the role is actually in demand. My role is still on - despite repeated calls from my proffessional body to remove it - and my role has 40% unemployment
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Hi

Thanks
Hi - we have lived in both countries. You will have different reasons for emigrating than us I am sure, but we found Australia (Melbourne) to offer the best combination of lifestyle and economy, whereas New Zealand really is an economic backwater, which gets very frustrating.

I would say for kids both would be excellent. Both are very outdoors countries. New Zealand's weather is very wet, it isn't called "the land of the long white cloud" for nothing. The weather in Australia is much better.

I find the people in Australia to be much more open-minded. They have an appreciation of life outside their own little sphere. New Zealand is incredibly inward-looking and parochial. It is forced down you in every conversation how much better New Zealand is in every way than where you came from. If you mention to someone in New Zealand "it's a bit chilly today" they may well reply "well at least you're not in England". I have not found Australians in Melbourne to be like that at all.

Many many more New Zealanders move to Australia than the other way, but this is mainly due to money so if you have work options in both places thos may not be relevant. Australian wages are generally much higher and there is a great pension system here which doesn't exist in NZ.

The area where I really wonder about New Zealand and children is teenagers. New Zealand has the second highest teenage suicide rate in the world. It can be a very grim place to live if you can't see any opportunity or future (which we couldn't when we lived there but at least we could leave easily!)

HTH

BB
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

As someone that works in both countries, i'd say get yourself to Australia

Far better developed, doesn't have a 1930s mindset and has more options of choice to reside

Nothing wrong with New Zealand at all but it's not the amazing wow country that they like you to believe. If neither drive, then you have a serious problem in New Zealand compared to Australia...

I can only provide you with info on Sydney and Melbourne as I work in our offices over there sometimes. Melbourne is the UK with its mixed climate, Sydney is excellent providing you have the finance
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The NZ economy and job opportunities are a LOT better than Oz
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: australia or new zealand to bring up young family

Originally Posted by verystormy
This is an unusual and temporary situation and limited to certain sectors of the economy.

Wages are still lower in NZ.

BB
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For now

It will be interesting to see how our FTA with China affects NZ (they have been hanging off their's for years) when our economies of scale in agriculture and LNG, coupled with the lower AUD, kick in
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If you end up in New Zealand, avoid Palmerston North at all costs. In fact avoid Auckland too, hhhmmm ...... trying to think of a nice place to live ..... ah Wellington .... very windy but very nice.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Kind of booming. I know a number of plant workers and hang off industries ditching WA for NZ milk. A lot of surrounding industries involved in the Christchurch re-build too.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you end up in New Zealand, avoid Palmerston North at all costs. In fact avoid Auckland too, hhhmmm ...... trying to think of a nice place to live ..... ah Wellington .... very windy but very nice.
I thought Wellington and Auckland were dumps

I did like Christchurch, Nelson and Queenstown though
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
A lot of surrounding industries involved in the Christchurch re-build too.
A kiwi guy I was working with last year - a 3D modeller - was looking at heading to Christchurch to hook into all the construction design that is going on over there but when he saw the pay on offer said it just wasn't worth the effort - it really was that poor
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A kiwi guy I was working with last year - a 3D modeller - was looking at heading to Christchurch to hook into all the construction design that is going on over there but when he saw the pay on offer said it just wasn't worth the effort - it really was that poor
And you would to model in Revit. That's a pretty unpleasant experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.