Reload this Page >

Australia, or New Zealand.

Australia, or New Zealand.

Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

The Johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia, or New Zealand.

Hi everyone.

We are wondering what folks on here think would be the best place to emigrate to, between New Zealand or Australia? We like hot weather, but don't mind it not being really hot either. We were just thinking about jobs, me I'm a medical nurse and my husband is a plumber. We have two young children 7 and 5 and would just like everyone's views on what they think.

Thanks for any replies.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australia, or New Zealand.

Originally Posted by The Johnsons
Hi everyone.

We are wondering what folks on here think would be the best place to emigrate to, between New Zealand or Australia? We like hot weather, but don't mind it not being really hot either. We were just thinking about jobs, me I'm a medical nurse and my husband is a plumber. We have two young children 7 and 5 and would just like everyone's views on what they think.

Thanks for any replies.
We've lived in both. New Zealand wages are about half of Australia's, but the cost of living is the same. Jobs are much much harder to find in New Zealand, highly qualified people are often doing quite menial work. New Zealand is very wet and windy, when the sun comes out it has a very high burn factor, much higher than Australia.

50,000 New Zealanders per year (that's 1000 per week!) leave New Zealand to live in Australia. Almost none move the other way.

The reasons people give for preferring New Zealand over Australia are often that they are afraid of snakes or something. In 6 years in Melbourne I have never yet seen a snake.

HTH

BB
Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

The Johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia, or New Zealand.

Thankyou Buzzy Bee for your advice.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:47 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We've lived in both. New Zealand wages are about half of Australia's, but the cost of living is the same. Jobs are much much harder to find in New Zealand, highly qualified people are often doing quite menial work. New Zealand is very wet and windy, when the sun comes out it has a very high burn factor, much higher than Australia.

50,000 New Zealanders per year (that's 1000 per week!) leave New Zealand to live in Australia. Almost none move the other way.

The reasons people give for preferring New Zealand over Australia are often that they are afraid of snakes or something. In 6 years in Melbourne I have never yet seen a snake.

HTH

BB
I'm sorry but there isn't a lot of fact in this Buzzy Bee!

If you look at what my partner and I are earning it is no where near half of Oz wages. Cost of living is not the same, although it does depend on where you are comparing in individual countries. Christchurch is certainly not the same as say Sydney for example.

Highly qualified people are doing menial work? Sorry but this is also not true. I am not really sure why you think this. Sure, it does happen but it is not on a huge scale in NZ. Do you have any research or evidence to back this up? I am genuinely interested because I haven't experienced this so far in NZ. However, just because I haven't experienced it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My partner and I and friends are all professionals and we have never had problems finding and keeping good jobs.

New Zealand is wet and windy? Depends where you live. Christchurch has low rain fall and in summer you can go days and even weeks without rain. Hence the droughts last year, which had a huge impact on farming industry in NZ. As for the wind, I haven't experienced a problem with it. Fair enough point about the sun, it is very strong and you do have to be careful. Nothing a bit of "slip, slop, slap" can't sort out. I have fair skin and have managed to keep myself sunburn free.

Yes, Kiwi's do leave NZ. As do Pom's leave the UK, Ozzy's leave Australia, Canadians leave Canada etc. What you haven't mentioned is that a lot of Kiwi's do return to NZ after living and working abroad.

I don't prefer NZ over Oz due to snakes. I prefer it in NZ because I can have a great lifestyle in so many ways. The weather rarely dictates what I can and can't do outdoors. My partner and I earn good money and have promising careers ahead of us in NZ. I also find Kiwi's very welcoming and friendly. When I was in Sydney I got asked "so, when are you f**** off back to Pommy land then?" Charming! I was only on holiday!

Anyway, the point of my post is not to get into an Oz vs NZ debate. I just wanted to correct a few bits of misinformation about NZ for the OP. The Johnsons - if you would like any NZ related info feel free to PM me and I will gladly help

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Oct 15th 2013 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:51 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
. I just wanted to correct a few bits of misinformation about NZ for the OP.
Not misinformation.

Just different information to your information.

BB
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any replies.
Where do you qualify for a visa to?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:38 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Not misinformation.

Just different information to your information.

BB
Just of interest Buzzy...when you lived in NZ was it only on the west coast of the South Island? Or you also tried elsewhere?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcworld
Just of interest Buzzy...when you lived in NZ was it only on the west coast of the South Island? Or you also tried elsewhere?
Christchurch. Couldn't get any work. Once I got really desperate I applied for jobs washing cars, working in paint shops. Got rejected as I had no experience. One car washing job I went for had 150 applicants.

I actually preferred the weather on the West Coast to the weather in Christchurch. When the West Coast has a sunny day, it's often quite still. In Christchurch on sunny days it is often very windy, so it's hard to enjoy the sun, plus the burn factor is a real concern.

You have to live in NZ to really understand what I'm on about. It is nothing like living in Australia.

I don't even believe Auckland is any different. A good friend of mine, known him for 20 years in the UK. Married to a Kiwi, emigrated to Auckland. He's now here in Melbourne as he ran out of money after 18 months looking for work. Highly skilled, highly experienced. Failed at every interview as he was over-qualified and the interviewer was worried about him getting their job. Couldn't get any lower-skilled work as he had no experience.

He's been in Melbourne 2 years now, he got a job within 2 weeks of arriving that was one level below what he did in the UK - he's now back up to the UK level of work.

New Zealand is a jobs desert for all but a very select type of skills.

My experience, and others.

Some people may have different experiences.

BB
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any replies.
I daresay people on the Australia forum are going to say Australia. Those on the NZ forum are more likely to say NZ. Most of us will not have experienced both and would not be able to make a meaningful comparison. Anyone that left NZ for Australia is going to say Australia and vice versa.

I guess she I am going with this, is it is a bit of an unanswerable question. The only two things that really matter are can you get a visa and which do you feel more drawn to.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Anyone that left NZ for Australia is going to say Australia and vice versa.
There aren't a whole heap of vice versas on the BE forum!!!

BB
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

This series of articles in the NZ paper website "stuff" might help the OP - there's even an article from someone who has gone from Aus to NZ. Might give a better viewpoint than individual experiences.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ross-the-ditch

BB
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There aren't a whole heap of vice versas on the BE forum!!!

BB
Agreed. That is why I said most of us will have only experienced one or the other.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any replies.
More job opportunities in Australia (based on bigger economy)
NZ is only 3 hours flight
So my point is go for win win Base yourselves in Oz and enjoy both countries by living on east coast of the west island

Auckland is completely different job market to South Island.

If your getting to interviews you have a chance. If your constantly missing at interview reassess your interview technique.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks for any replies.
NZ is an awesome place for a vacation but not to live. There economy is just not up to scratch and it is almost a 3rd world country in some respects

50k Kiwis move to Australia every year - fact. NZ pays to train them and Australia gets the benefits, which is not a good state of affairs for NZ. Unfortunately we also get a lot of NZ's assholes moving here too

It's a beautiful country but that's it
Old Oct 20th 2013, 1:41 pm
Banned

ainitcskarachi is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia has better economy, more outing hotspots, more job availibility while New Zealand has its charms of good village greenery for people who like hobbiton like villages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.