Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia - As good as it "looks?"

Australia - As good as it "looks?"

Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - As good as it "looks?"

Originally Posted by ABD79
QUESTION: Is Australia as good as it looks? I've heard some wonderful things...but also some surprising bad views. So I was just wondering from anyone who has gone to live there, how does it compare to life in the UK? I personally do love living in the UK, (no scary spiders, no guns really, free health care, no extreme weather...obviously I'm well aware of the downsides too) ) So what do you all think? How are schools there? How's life in the sun? How's life with things being further apart and less convenient? How are the locals? What about the bugs and spiders? What are the pros and cons of living there? Anything you have, please throw it my way - as much information/advice/experiences as possible!
Thank you!
It all depends on your situation, the time of your life and lots of other factors.

Schools - I think Australian public schools are fairly average, secondary schools can be very poor. There is a huge focus on private schools, especially in Melbourne and it's quite a competitive system.

Weather - huge country with vastly differing weather. Sydney and Melbourne have very nice climates, apart from when they have the extreme heat.

Convenience - not sure what you mean, in some respects things are more convenient in Australia

Locals - mostly very friendly, even if many are a bit slow/naive - many don't get sarcasm or dark humor at all. Some are a bit too chirpy and optimistic, but I'm fairly miserable.

Bugs and spiders - In Melbourne was never bothered by spiders, snakes or any other nasty creature. The absolute worst thing in Australia by far are the flies that appear in spring/summer - they stick to your face/mouth and make any outdoor activity very unpleasant.

The cons of Australia for me are that it's expensive, a bit lacking culturally and the people can be a bit boring. Harder to explain the last one, but I was watching Glastonbury on the BBC and the audience is full of all ages enjoying themselves - here I think people 35+ tend to be more family orientated and just go home/fishing/camping instead of going to concerts or meeting friends at the pub etc.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

The cons of Australia for me are that it's expensive, a bit lacking culturally and the people can be a bit boring. Harder to explain the last one, but I was watching Glastonbury on the BBC and the audience is full of all ages enjoying themselves - here I think people 35+ tend to be more family orientated and just go home/fishing/camping instead of going to concerts or meeting friends at the pub etc.

I wonder if that is locality driven as well not sure.

Anyway I wont go on too much, however this place here.... is like an episode of RockKwiz every night it's open.

All ages like most of the venues I visit.

MusicLand Fawkner Music Complex : Melbourne Live Music Venue & Recording Studio
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
The absolute worst thing in Australia by far are the flies that appear in spring/summer - they stick to your face/mouth and make any outdoor activity very unpleasant.
Definitely down to location. We see about 20 flies a year give or take. I've spent time in Perth many moons ago and couldn't believe the flies, made me want to heave.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Well here is something you dont see reported on here very often.... I do a daily walk with my Dog down along Coburg Lake and along the Merri Creek, I've just seen a Platypus, and thats within 9Ks of the Melbourne CBD. Just about to report the sighting to the local council.

So when it comes to Wildlife Aus can be as good as it looks.... I've seen Black Cockatoos down there before and one Tiger Snake.

Platypus sightings are very rare though and to see one this close is is right up there. We did have a Kangaroo as far in as the Western Ring Road fly over on Pascoe Vale Rd... poor thing got run over on it.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well here is something you dont see reported on here very often.... I do a daily walk with my Dog down along Coburg Lake and along the Merri Creek, I've just seen a Platypus, and thats within 9Ks of the Melbourne CBD. Just about to report the sighting to the local council.

So when it comes to Wildlife Aus can be as good as it looks.... I've seen Black Cockatoos down there before and one Tiger Snake.

Platypus sightings are very rare though and to see one this close is is right up there. We did have a Kangaroo as far in as the Western Ring Road fly over on Pascoe Vale Rd... poor thing got run over on it.
Definitely awesome to see a platypus - I remember being shown two in a remote pond in Tassie, a few years back. Stunning creatures, they didn't hang around long though.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Definitely awesome to see a platypus - I remember being shown two in a remote pond in Tassie, a few years back. Stunning creatures, they didn't hang around long though.
We had a onsite Caravan right on the Goulburn River at Nagambie at one stage and we saw one there on occassion. It's a real thrill seeing one.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:09 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

All these answers are fantastic, thank you!
Can't believe you saw a platypus...my little ones would be so excited if they ever got to see one. Lucky you!!!
Yes everything that's been said seems to be what everyone is saying...both negatives and positives so it's great to hear a common opinion from everyone.
By convenience I mean here in the UK obviously everything is closer together. I read a few people saying that it wasn't necessarily a convenient way of life there compared to the uk just because the country is so big and everything is spread so far apart.
All this information is so helpful. It's great reading what everyone's life is like in Australia and it really helps! Thank you!!!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:13 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElleB
I can't speak for Melbourne, but Brisbane can get very hot and humid, especially in the summer. It's nice if you're on holiday but it can be painful when you live there. The winters are nice though. Saying that, when it rains, it pours! In my experience, the schools are of a lower education standard than in the UK, I remember when I moved over I already knew everything I was being taught and felt like I'd been set back, but maybe that's just me.The locals are generally nice but there's a lot of bogans around. The drivers in Queensland are awful so you just have to take more care. I don't actually have any problems with bugs really, I get a LOT more cockroaches than spiders in my home, but it's not a problem once your house gets sprayed. TV is absolute crap here (a LOT of ads) so I would recommend getting Austar/Foxtel. Everything is also a lot more expensive here. Aside from these cons, I feel a lot safer here (I'm on the Sunshine Coast) than I did in Leeds. Everyone is a lot more relaxed and laid back here. We've got beautiful beaches here and great scenery. It's nice to be able to go have a barbecue with friends and family and not worrying about whether it's going to rain. I may seem very negative but maybe that's just because I miss the UK !
I did one big reply to everyone's messages but just wanted to say it's about to rain here now in case that helps you not miss the uk as much I do understand though. Since we've been looking around at other places to possibly relocate to we have started to see the uk in a whole new light and we are realising that actually, it would be hard to find everything we have here in another country (and I don't mean better chocolate or television ) But health care, education, a more temperate climate etc. But i know that there are lots of great things about other places too. I hope you don't miss the UK too much!
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:32 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
I did one big reply to everyone's messages but just wanted to say it's about to rain here now in case that helps you not miss the uk as much I do understand though. Since we've been looking around at other places to possibly relocate to we have started to see the uk in a whole new light and we are realising that actually, it would be hard to find everything we have here in another country (and I don't mean better chocolate or television ) But health care, education, a more temperate climate etc. But i know that there are lots of great things about other places too. I hope you don't miss the UK too much!
Thats good cos both the chocolate and the TV are kak here! (personally speaking ) Currently working my way through a huge stash of chocolate brought back from the Uk and feel like I'm in heaven!

Tipping down in Brisbane this morning by the waythe sound of the rain is so rare that its beautiful
Old Jun 29th 2017, 7:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats good cos both the chocolate and the TV are kak here! (personally speaking ) Currently working my way through a huge stash of chocolate brought back from the Uk and feel like I'm in heaven!

Tipping down in Brisbane this morning by the waythe sound of the rain is so rare that its beautiful
Can't understand why people moan about rain - it's not like we don't need it, especially in Australia. After a long dry spell in Perth, the kids and I would go outside and run around in the rain

I liked Cadbury chocolate in Oz, but it does seem to be nicer here in the UK. Happy gorging Poll!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Is Australia as good as it looks? I wonder if you mean lifestyle or scenery? Of course it has some very attractive places although distance tampers with ready availability.
Not to say rather expensive to travel and stay away from home, although doing it in 'basic mode' will cut costs.

Australia is an expensive country, especially for housing, Sydney and Melbourne in particular.

I suspect with children on tow contact with locals will be more accessible even if on a fairly superficial level.
Without children it can be remarkably difficult, as people over a certain age appear very self obsessed with own interests and family.
Emotional contact with similar minded can be very difficult to almost impossible. Other emigrants regardless of background more prove more fruitful in meaningful contact.

I am not sure how a very sociable person would find it. I was somewhat that way while living in UK and Europe, but over time living in Australia, have adapted to local norms more, becoming less outgoing as a result.
Conversation would as a rule not be regarded as a highlight in Australia, for those so inclined.
I suspect the less socially inclined one is, the easier it would be.

Australia is in the midst of great social change over recent years. It is very debateable if for the better.
While pay rates tend to be higher in many areas for the moment, there is a lot of downward pressure with very low pay rises and more falling behind as class divisions become ever greater.

Population increase due mostly to immigration, are putting enormous pressure on city environments.

Lots of negatives as well as positives to mull over. Certainly not for all. A quarter of Brits appear to return. It is a mixed bag of emotions on the desirability of the country. Only you will know if what is available will sustain you.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:24 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Can't understand why people moan about rain - it's not like we don't need it, especially in Australia. After a long dry spell in Perth, the kids and I would go outside and run around in the rain

I liked Cadbury chocolate in Oz, but it does seem to be nicer here in the UK. Happy gorging Poll!
Love the rain, specially on a metal roof.

The chocolate thing is to do with the amount of cocoa in it apparently. Its adjusted according to where its made, so that the melting point changes. Hence Aussie chocolate melts at a higher temperature than UK stuff - and that changes the taste very slightly.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've seen Black Cockatoos.....
Platypus sightings are very rare though...
Black Cockatoos are a daily occurrence in woodland next to me and I hadn't ever thought that seeing a Platypus was unusual as they're pretty regular sightings in lakes and rivers nearby.
Having said that I've been here over a decade and I think I've seen a grand total of TWO kangaroo's in the wild... I was expecting them to be bloody everywhere.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Reference culture and conversation (etc) : it is to a dime solely demographic. If you want these things then you need to get out of the house and DO things: your interests will dictate as will your job, and where you live. If you don't, then you might find the burbs not enough. Au cities are vey homogenised but there are surprises everywhere : if you find your niches.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Is Australia as good as it looks? I wonder if you mean lifestyle or scenery? Of course it has some very attractive places although distance tampers with ready availability.
Not to say rather expensive to travel and stay away from home, although doing it in 'basic mode' will cut costs.

Australia is an expensive country, especially for housing, Sydney and Melbourne in particular.

I suspect with children on tow contact with locals will be more accessible even if on a fairly superficial level.
Without children it can be remarkably difficult, as people over a certain age appear very self obsessed with own interests and family.
Emotional contact with similar minded can be very difficult to almost impossible. Other emigrants regardless of background more prove more fruitful in meaningful contact.

I am not sure how a very sociable person would find it. I was somewhat that way while living in UK and Europe, but over time living in Australia, have adapted to local norms more, becoming less outgoing as a result.
Conversation would as a rule not be regarded as a highlight in Australia, for those so inclined.
I suspect the less socially inclined one is, the easier it would be.

Australia is in the midst of great social change over recent years. It is very debateable if for the better.
While pay rates tend to be higher in many areas for the moment, there is a lot of downward pressure with very low pay rises and more falling behind as class divisions become ever greater.

Population increase due mostly to immigration, are putting enormous pressure on city environments.

Lots of negatives as well as positives to mull over. Certainly not for all. A quarter of Brits appear to return. It is a mixed bag of emotions on the desirability of the country. Only you will know if what is available will sustain you.
I'm a very sociable person (although I do like my own space too happily spend 99% of evenings at home (after a trip to the gym). But I'm sociable in that I enjoy talking to people. Someone here on the thread once said they miss chatting to the people on the check out in supermarkets in Australia as they just don't do it as much there. When I walk to the shop down the road I often exchange a friendly few words with a passer by, I'll have a bit of banter with a stranger in the shop and a bit of a chat with the person at the check-out. When I walk places with my little boys people often stop and talk to them, and me. From what a lot of people have said it doesn't seem so easy to open up a conversation with strangers in Australia. I do think I would miss that. It's not a reason NOT to move all by itself of course. But I would miss that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.