Reload this Page >

Australia - flying with dogs and renting with dogs in Sydney

Australia - flying with dogs and renting with dogs in Sydney

Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

l4urenec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia - flying with dogs and renting with dogs in Sydney

Hello,

We are currently using our vets to manage the process from start to finish with helping our dogs get over to Australia. Unfortunately there have been some recent changes which mean that some of the quarantines are closed so it could be costing a fair bit more than usual.

I will be flying out without a job, although I am in touch with a recruiter that secured me my job in London and shouldn't have problems getting work fairly quickly in Australia in my field of work in digital marketing.

However, I am wondering what the situation is with renting in Sydney is. I can see that there are properties that do allow pets by using the pet filter on Australian websites. Can anyone recommend any estate agents? I imagine it might not be as quick as finding a place that doesn't allow dogs. What paperwork do most of them require and how easy is it to secure a place without a job? I can show proof of my bank balance and I'm happy to pay a few months rent in advance but do you think this would be OK? I know it would be dependent on the estate agent but here in the UK when renting we usually have to write our salary income etc and want to make sure I'm prepared with all the paperwork I need when I land in Australia or it's going to be an expensive few months in hotels!

Also does anyone have any experience with how their dogs were flying/post quarantine, settling in and climatising? They're coming over in April so I know it will be cooler then.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:08 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - flying with dogs and renting with dogs in Sydney

Hi, when you say 'dogs' how many exactly? Two may be ok, three plus may be a bit of a task. A proportion of landlords aren't keen on dogs in their rentals. Not all obviously, but it can make things more challenging than having no pets.

I would have documents prepared about how your pets don't chew, scratch etc and how well behaved they are. Even a statement from a previous landlord if possible.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 7:21 am
Just Joined

I have two dogs, I have lived with them one of them in rented accommodation in the UK for 7 years and the other one joined us 4 years - it's tough here finding places that accept them too which is understandable. I'm sure I can get in touch with previous landlords and my current one to 'character reference' them as such! However, I am slightly nervous about the first few weeks as they settle into a new place in a new country as everything will be very new to them. I'm looking on RealEstate website and it seems that there are properties that are pet friendly - they just don't come up as frequently.

I'm also flying out 8 weeks before them so I'm hoping that gives me enough time to find somewhere! Re. renting - do you know how it is to secure a property without employment? I'm in touch with a recruiter that got me my job in London but the job market picks up beginning of April in my field of work so I would like to be settled beforehand. Worst case scenario if they won't accept a few months rent in advance or proof of bank balance and references that I pay rent on time, I suppose I could use a website like Airbnb although I'm not sure if they let you pay as you go and if you have to sign up.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 12:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by l4urenec
I have two dogs, I have lived with them one of them in rented accommodation in the UK for 7 years and the other one joined us 4 years - it's tough here finding places that accept them too which is understandable. I'm sure I can get in touch with previous landlords and my current one to 'character reference' them as such! However, I am slightly nervous about the first few weeks as they settle into a new place in a new country as everything will be very new to them. I'm looking on RealEstate website and it seems that there are properties that are pet friendly - they just don't come up as frequently. I'm also flying out 8 weeks before them so I'm hoping that gives me enough time to find somewhere! Re. renting - do you know how it is to secure a property without employment? I'm in touch with a recruiter that got me my job in London but the job market picks up beginning of April in my field of work so I would like to be settled beforehand. Worst case scenario if they won't accept a few months rent in advance or proof of bank balance and references that I pay rent on time, I suppose I could use a website like Airbnb although I'm not sure if they let you pay as you go and if you have to sign up.
I use Airbnb a lot, my Brit husband and I currently live in Oz, but are moving over to the UK shortly. We often stay in Airbnb apartments in Liverpool for up to 8 weeks. What they do is take the first month rental from your credit card when you book, and the rest the day after that. I can really understand you being nervous about how your dogs will travel and settle in - our 10 year old golden retriever is coming with us and he even hates car travel, so no idea how the poor bub is going to cope with the flights
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

oooh ok that's good to know so you don't have to commit to how long, but you can extend period of stay if you need to? you'll have to let me know how it goes. one of ours gets really nervous and winds the other one up!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

oooh ok that's good to know so you don't have to commit to how long, but you can extend period of stay if you need to? you'll have to let me know how it goes. one of ours gets really nervous and winds the other one up!
Sorry, I don't think my post was very clear (I'm packing at the moment)

You do need to book dates, what I was trying to say about payment is if you booked for 1 November to 1 January, Airbnb would take payment for 1 month when you booked, and take another month on 1 December. If you wanted to stay for longer than originally booked I'm sure any owner would be delighted to extend, but only if they didn't have another booking for that time.

I've spoken a fair bit to the vet in charge of the pet transport company we're using, and to other people whose dogs have had long haul flights. I'm assured by everyone that while they may be a bit put out at first, they soon settle in their crates and just sleep.

We're flying our old boy with Emirates, as they'll take him off the plane in Dubai and give him a 6 hour break at a kennel with dog runs - this will break up the time he's flying in his crate into 11.5 hours and then 7 hours.

I'll definitely post on how he went - I expect him to be starving (no food at all while travelling, just water), disoriented and thoroughly pissed off with us!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:20 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a high level of dog ownership in Oz and you will be able to get a rental with dogs eventually. How quickly, what quality and where will depend on a number of factors including how you come across to the agents, and what size of dogs you have.Two little poodles will be no problem, two rotties will be more of a challenge.
A few tips.
Don't just look at places that say they will allow dogs, but don't waste your time with places that state upfront no dogs.
Don't let it be the first thing you discuss with the agent - check the place would be suitable for your pets first and that you like it.
If you do like it and want to rent it then discuss the owners attitude to two well behaved, trained, and gentle dogs. Emphasise that you rented with your dogs in the uk and can provide refs on how well looked after the rental was.
As you don't yet have a job, offer to pay rent in advance (they may not take this as it mucks up their accounting systems!)
If you are really keen on the place and the agent seems a little less keen, put a little note in with the application to the landlord with pictures of the dogs (if they are small and cute!) outlining how well behaved they are.
Be prepared for the inside/outside dog issue and decide how you are going to respond.
There are not too many furnished short term rentals in Sydney that will allow dogs inside or outside the house.
A lot of apartments have rules that do not allow dogs in the building.
Hope this helps and good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Ahhh OK that sounds good re. Air bnb. Yes I have staffies which is why I'm concerned as can be VERY vocal when stressed - they aren't at home or out and about, but they have been known to at the vets one of them gets quite vocal with the whining. They probably will die down eventually but I know when they go stay at a kennels it takes them at least 2-3 days to settle in. I didn't realise they had no food bless them. Please keep me posted!

That's great to hear that there are lots of dogs - I looked on realestate.au with the pet filter and it seems there's quite a few terraces or places with outdoor space that would accept dogs too. I've seen a form some of them want with pictures etc. I'm not expecting to get a furnished place with a dog though - I think that would be much harder. The dogs are coming out two months after me so I'm hoping that gives me enough time to find somewhere. That's great advice Scotty, I can get references from all my landlords as they aren't chewers or barkers. I am worried about the move, but we have moved lots of times before and they have been fine I guess it's just because it's to a different country I'm worried it could change their character a bit! I know that might sound silly.

Thank you so much really useful to hear about not making it the first thing I say and then seeing what they say afterwards, sometimes in the UK they do that and they're willing to accept if you pay a higher deposit or something.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine it might not be as quick as finding a place that doesn't allow dogs. What paperwork do most of them require and how easy is it to secure a place without a job? I can show proof of my bank balance and I'm happy to pay a few months rent in advance but do you think this would be OK?
Paperwork may vary.

I arranged a rental last year (12 months unfurnished), small dogs OK, all they needed was the breed of dog on the application form.
I was not working, but I said I will pay 3 or 6 months in advance, and showed a bank statement showing enough. They accepted 3 months.
I had no references either, as I had always owned before.

Some places ask a higher deposit when you have dogs, although I think that's only allowed in WA and SA at the moment.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:15 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

They can't ask for a higher deposit in NSW - max 4 weeks rent. They can ask for a special condition on the lease that the property is fumigated and carpets cleaned if you have pets.
We rented without a job too - its not such a big deal if you casually mention to them the industry you are in, that you are in contact with agencies and were fully employed in the UK and show them your bank balance!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, this is really useful to know and positive. Do Australians have the same view as staffies as some people do in the UK? We had some issues with some places accepting them although we have never had any issues, some of them tend to get a bad rep in the media.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, this is really useful to know and positive. Do Australians have the same view as staffies as some people do in the UK? We had some issues with some places accepting them although we have never had any issues, some of them tend to get a bad rep in the media.
I see lots of staffies around and they seem to be thought of as a good breed here, not seen any bad media about them as I did in the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

That's great news