Australia Day

Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Alice Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Day

Hi

Just a quick one: my partner and I, if things go to plan, are going to be arriving in Sydney, from the UK, on Australia Day. What stuff will be happening? I heard there will be fireworks etc, but wasn't sure how it was celebrated by everyone.

It will be our first time ever in Australia (and we are going to staying for three years so I hope we like it!) so any suggestions as to what we should do, where we should go etc?

Thanks
Alice
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia Day

Originally Posted by Alice Noble
Hi

Just a quick one: my partner and I, if things go to plan, are going to be arriving in Sydney, from the UK, on Australia Day. What stuff will be happening? I heard there will be fireworks etc, but wasn't sure how it was celebrated by everyone.

It will be our first time ever in Australia (and we are going to staying for three years so I hope we like it!) so any suggestions as to what we should do, where we should go etc?

Thanks
Alice
Hi Alice, well normally they do have fireworks but i dont think they had some last year because of the draught and bushfires!!! Apart from that, heaps of people go for a drink but nothing major!!! I cannot remember the shops being closed in Qld, I dont know about SYD though!!!
Enjoy!
fabie
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Australia Day

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi Alice, well normally they do have fireworks but i dont think they had some last year because of the draught and bushfires!!! Apart from that, heaps of people go for a drink but nothing major!!! I cannot remember the shops being closed in Qld, I dont know about SYD though!!!
Enjoy!
fabie
Thanks Swissfabs - I hadn't even considered that the shops might not be open!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:08 pm
Sarah-Jane

Donut is on a distinguished road

Hey,

If you're anything like me, you'll be asleep after about a few hours of arriving....the flight is a killer....so my advice is don't plan anything for your arrival day!

SJ
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:30 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Swissfabs - I hadn't even considered that the shops might not be open!
We happened to be in Townsville on Anzac Day 2003. We walked into town to have a beer and nowhere at all was open. It was like one of those films where the main actor wakes up and finds he is the only person left alive on the planet. Having said that we went back the following day and it wasn't much different
Old Nov 4th 2004, 2:56 pm
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by worzel
We happened to be in Townsville on Anzac Day 2003. We walked into town to have a beer and nowhere at all was open. It was like one of those films where the main actor wakes up and finds he is the only person left alive on the planet. Having said that we went back the following day and it wasn't much different
Hi Guys

If you think Townsville is bad, try Childers!!!! Bloody 1970's ghost town!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts100
Hi Guys

If you think Townsville is bad, try Childers!!!! Bloody 1970's ghost town!!!!
Well, if there IS a party to be had we will be there. Even if I am tired I hope I will be able to stay up so that I can get my body clock in order as soon as possible!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:40 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
Alice
Generally Aussie day is celebrated by eating damper bread, raising flags, fireworks and drink driving deaths. The Sydney fireworks are worth seeing.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Alice
There's usually something happening down near the Harbour and around the Quay area. There's a traditional Ferry Boat Race (one always ends up hitting a wharf or another ferry) and things going on around Hyde Park. The fireworks at night are always good value. It's a public holiday so some shops will be closed, but the touristy areas will be open for business. Best thing to do is take a walk around the Rocks, Circular Quay etc and see what's happening. But will you really feel like doing much, if you've just stepped off a long flight?

This is the day where they hold heaps of Citizenship ceremonies in the parks and some people have Aussie BBQ's with damper etc - well that's if they do anything at all. Majority just treat it as another day off work.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

This is the day where they hold heaps of Citizenship ceremonies in the parks and some people have Aussie BBQ's with damper etc - well that's if they do anything at all. Majority just treat it as another day off work.
Australia Day does generally mark the end of the summer holiday period, schools go back to start the new year shortly afterwards.

Jeremy
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good job you're not coming to Perth.

It's the people of Perth's last chance to behave for the Australia day fireworks on the Swan river.

If, like last year, it turns in to a booze fuelled, brawling and rioting session they are going to cancel it for good, apparently.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Going back to Anzac day - some pubs and shops open after midday but most stay shut all day. Whatever you do, don't criticise it though! I said it was daft to be shut till lunchtime, why not do a couple of hours and have the rest of the day off to relax.......ouch, fend off the thunderbolts! "Its not for relaxing, its for remembering, places should all be shut all day......I had to take cover in the shed before God (or the family) smote me dead!

(no disrespect intended, I know the reasons for Anzqc Day, it was just a bit of an extreme shock!)
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australia Day does generally mark the end of the summer holiday period, schools go back to start the new year shortly afterwards.

Jeremy
Exactly.... OZ day is for celebrating the kids going back to school in 5 days time
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:35 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to catch a ferry around about the time the boats come around the harbour/opera house.

If you sleep on the flight over then you should OK, it is best to sleep on the plane since you will arrive in Sydney around 6-7am, hopefully adjusting straight away to the time zone
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
It's a good job you're not coming to Perth.

It's the people of Perth's last chance to behave for the Australia day fireworks on the Swan river.

If, like last year, it turns in to a booze fuelled, brawling and rioting session they are going to cancel it for good, apparently.
Like someone said, cancelled in Sydney because of the draught (drought)

OzTennis