Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than Canada?

Australia better than Canada?

Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia better than Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The trouble is though, that in Canada you don't usually get the vacation time to enjoy other places much. An oft repeated complaint on the canada forum is that immigrants often find that they are spending their two weeks vacation every year either returning to the UK for family events, or hosting family/friends.

If I were looking for a better work/life balance, then North America is the last place I'd choose.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

The trouble is though, that in Canada you don't usually get the vacation time to enjoy other places much. An oft repeated complaint on the canada forum is that immigrants often find that they are spending their two weeks vacation every year either returning to the UK for family events, or hosting family/friends.

If I were looking for a better work/life balance, then North America is the last place I'd choose.
Good point, I've seen those posts too. My brother in law gets 4 weeks leave per year plus Xmas time, but I have seen plenty of people talking about 2 weeks
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I have yet to find a place as magical as Bali when it comes to paradise retreats. Of course there's also Fiji or French Polynesia, but off the top of my head I'm not sure whether you'd be closer to Bora Bora from say West Coast of NA or Perth.

Europe is closer from Canada, but not to the point where you'd gladly fly there from Canada but say "it's too far away" when living in Perth. Now if you were to go to Bali or places like Singapore, Thailand or any of the numerous other fine places in SE Asia then from Canada you might just say "it's too far" because it would be a long trip.

What's left close-by is what, the US, South America? No thanks. Basically just a few places in the Caribbean left. That's the thing with NA, it's just sooooo out of the way. As a place to live I'd rather pick Europe or anything in the easterly direction, not the other way.
You my friend have never been to Skegness!

Never been to Bali but it does sound magical. Does it differ much from the Thailand islands? I have been to some of those.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That is very true. I haven't noticed that many complaining about it on the forum, but I will take your word for it that they do. The NA attitude towards holiday time is very antiquated.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That is very true. I haven't noticed that many complaining about it on the forum, but I will take your word for it that they do. The NA attitude towards holiday time is very antiquated.
Only 2 weeks leave per year?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:37 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Only 2 weeks leave per year?
Crazy isn't it. What's the norm down under?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Usually 4 weeks; I'm a shift worker and I get an extra 5 days as part of my contract.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:44 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Usually 4 weeks; I'm a shift worker and I get an extra 5 days as part of my contract.
That's far more civilised. Good on ya (or whatever the Aussies say).
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

As Pollyana said, 4 weeks per year is the norm. We also get long service leave - the amount of years you have to be with the one employer to qualify varies between 7 - 15. Long service leave is 3 months of fully paid leave. The qualifying period for my employer is 10 years, I've worked with them for 15 so I've already had my first lot of 3 months (you can add your annual leave to make it 4 months if you want to). Bliss
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:49 pm
Concierge

That's far more civilised. Good on ya (or whatever the Aussies say).
We usually just shorten it to 'onya'. Lazy bunch we are. Too many holidays
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:51 pm
Yo

We usually just shorten it to 'onya'. Lazy bunch we are. Too many holidays
Now you're speaking nonsense!

Long service leave sounds brilliant. Oz is more enlightened than I thought.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute.
Aren't you a piece of sunshine
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Now you're speaking nonsense!

Long service leave sounds brilliant?
I'm trying to be socially responsible

LSL is fantastic, in fact I'm wondering when it's going to be chopped. I wouldn't like to be the Prime Minister who did it though, nothing motivates us Aussies like a threat to our working conditions!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute

We yams what we yams. And we don't mind listening to an Aussie accent at all. What nationality are you, Oink?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:16 pm
Concierge

Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute

We yams what we yams. And we don't mind listening to an Aussie accent at all. What nationality are you, Oink?
I'll take a punt.

You're from............Oracularville

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.