Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than Canada?

Australia better than Canada?

Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia better than Canada?

Originally Posted by Zen10
The benefit of living on an isolated continent surrounded by water will become clearer as time passes, especially in terms of uncontrolled pollution in the northern hemisphere, increases nuclear leaks and mass third world illegal immigration. While I would live in Canada happily, my Australian citizenship is very valuable to me, because I wouldn't want to be in Canada when the US economy collapses, for example. Canada might be able to get an advantage out of this, but then again, it might not.
Ah, the nuclear meltdown scenario and global over-population. Considering the risk, a bit of a rationalisation methinks...
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:30 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ah, the nuclear meltdown scenario and global over-population. Considering the risk, a bit of a rationalisation methinks...
I'm talking about Fukushima, which deposited dangerous levels of radiation all over the North American continent, particularly the west coast, and more of the same as more and more nuclear power stations are opened in places like China. Also, the illegal immigration issue is so serious it is being taken very seriously by Western governments, as they expect much of the third world to continue to decline fast. The points I make are derived after rationalisation.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm talking about Fukushima, which deposited dangerous levels of radiation all over the North American continent, particularly the west coast, and more of the same as more and more nuclear power stations are opened in places like China. Also, the illegal immigration issue is so serious it is being taken very seriously by Western governments, as they expect much of the third world to continue to decline fast. The points I make are derived after rationalisation.
I hadn't heard that (which leads me to believe it isn't as serious it sounds) but in any case, that rather defeats the point. If radiation in Japan can reach the US it can surely reach the "island" of Australia too.

Immigration is a whole separate topic, not sure what to say on that.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:45 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't heard that (which leads me to believe it isn't as serious it sounds) but in any case, that rather defeats the point. If radiation in Japan can reach the US it can surely reach the "island" of Australia too.

Immigration is a whole separate topic, not sure what to say on that.
The northern and southern hemisphere essentially have their own weather systems, although there is a lot of intermingling around the equator. Mainly it just whips around in its own hemisphere. This is why so much radiation from Chernobyl ended up on the hills of England and Wales. Radiation from Fukushima - map about a quarter of the way down this page

http://www.globalresearch.ca/fukushi...adiation/28870

I raise the point only because I have so little faith in the Chinese to run what will eventually be a lot of nuclear power stations. We did get some of that crap in Australia by the way, but obviously much less. One thing I will say to you is - watch carefully where the fish you buy comes from, particularly Pacific tuna.

I agree illegal immigration is separate.

Last edited by Zen10; Apr 17th 2013 at 11:49 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:08 am
Yo

The northern and southern hemisphere essentially have their own weather systems, although there is a lot of intermingling around the equator. Mainly it just whips around in its own hemisphere. This is why so much radiation from Chernobyl ended up on the hills of England and Wales. Radiation from Fukushima - map about a quarter of the way down this page

http://www.globalresearch.ca/fukushi...adiation/28870

I raise the point only because I have so little faith in the Chinese to run what will eventually be a lot of nuclear power stations. We did get some of that crap in Australia by the way, but obviously much less. One thing I will say to you is - watch carefully where the fish you buy comes from, particularly Pacific tuna.

I agree illegal immigration is separate.
Interesting maps. Who knows how the Chinese will run their nuclear power stations, but as they will be modern one would hope the risks would be less than Soviet built Chernobyl or ageing Fukushima by the tsunami ridden Japanese coast. I would point out that global warming may well change what we consider to be standard climate models, as indeed could nuclear events.

I recall a BBC program years back where they were exploring reasons people have for buying certain motor vehicles, one family had stretched to a Range Rover and the mother justified it by saying "it made her feel safe about her family, for example if there was a nuclear war that devastated the land, their trusty Range Rover would provide badic shelter and be the best chance of survival". Truth in what she says, but going a bit too far wouldn't you say.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:11 am
Banned

Interesting maps. Who knows how the Chinese will run their nuclear power stations, but as they will be modern one would hope the risks would be less than Soviet built Chernobyl or ageing Fukushima by the tsunami ridden Japanese coast. I would point out that global warming may well change what we consider to be standard climate models, as indeed could nuclear events.

I recall a BBC program years back where they were exploring reasons people have for buying certain motor vehicles, one family had stretched to a Range Rover and the mother justified it by saying "it made her feel safe about her family, for example if there was a nuclear war that devastated the land, their trusty Range Rover would provide badic shelter and be the best chance of survival". Truth in what she says, but going a bit too far wouldn't you say.
Well, if it's anything like how they run their mines I'm not too confident. Yes, the Range Rover thing is going too far! There are people out there who collect NBC suits as well.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:14 am
Yo

Well, if it's anything like how they run their mines I'm not too confident. Yes, the Range Rover thing is going too far! There are people out there who collect NBC suits as well.
What are NBC suits?

Chinese high speed trains also not entirely safe.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:42 am
Banned

What are NBC suits?

Chinese high speed trains also not entirely safe.
Nuclear, chemical, biological suit.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Nuclear, chemical, biological suit.
The tops, as worn, variously, by students, who get black skin from them.
If they sneeze when 'donning', attribute to the remnants of CS gas still in the fabric.....
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For Bali the Bahamas makes a good substitute.

There are plenty of interesting locations in Asia, true, but not that close. Tokyo is 10 hours away, for instance. And at the end of the day, Asia is not Europe.
Who knew?

And, could you please let me know what Asia is at other times of the day? I'm always on the lookout for new places to visit.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Who knew?

And, could you please let me know what Asia is at other times of the day? I'm always on the lookout for new places to visit.
Sometimes it's Brigadoon.

But only once every 100 years.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Sometimes it's Brigadoon.

But only once every 100 years.
I've been there when that happened and it was weird. An Asian Brigadoon. Needs no more words.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commonwealth
these issues dont bother me.

think of your DAILY life, not your once-a-year travels.

would you be travelling every day or even every month for this to matter?
I'm the other way, DAILY life is similar wherever you are.

Come a long weekend or a random 3/4 day trip you can pop somewhere much easier(eg. Vegas, Disneyland, Rockies, Vancouver etc) than your choice of Bali from Perth.

I work to live .... so the daily routine is simply a means to get my family to our playground(s). That's why I put little emphasis on daily routine (unless of course you absolutely hate it). If I can pull a few days here and there every second month or so, we'll be happy.

But it is clearly a personal preference, I know many people in Perth that go to Bali 3 times per year and love it.

Take your pick, as long as you're enjoying your destinations, good luck to you I say!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:56 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

For Bali the Bahamas makes a good substitute.

There are plenty of interesting locations in Asia, true, but not that close. Tokyo is 10 hours away, for instance. And at the end of the day, Asia is not Europe.
I have yet to find a place as magical as Bali when it comes to paradise retreats. Of course there's also Fiji or French Polynesia, but off the top of my head I'm not sure whether you'd be closer to Bora Bora from say West Coast of NA or Perth.

Europe is closer from Canada, but not to the point where you'd gladly fly there from Canada but say "it's too far away" when living in Perth. Now if you were to go to Bali or places like Singapore, Thailand or any of the numerous other fine places in SE Asia then from Canada you might just say "it's too far" because it would be a long trip.

What's left close-by is what, the US, South America? No thanks. Basically just a few places in the Caribbean left. That's the thing with NA, it's just sooooo out of the way. As a place to live I'd rather pick Europe or anything in the easterly direction, not the other way.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Come a long weekend or a random 3/4 day trip you can pop somewhere much easier(eg. Vegas, Disneyland, Rockies, Vancouver etc) than your choice of Bali from Perth.

I work to live .... so the daily routine is simply a means to get my family to our playground(s). That's why I put little emphasis on daily routine (unless of course you absolutely hate it). If I can pull a few days here and there every second month or so, we'll be happy.
The trouble is though, that in Canada you don't usually get the vacation time to enjoy other places much. An oft repeated complaint on the canada forum is that immigrants often find that they are spending their two weeks vacation every year either returning to the UK for family events, or hosting family/friends.

If I were looking for a better work/life balance, then North America is the last place I'd choose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.