Australia as it is

Australia as it is

Old Oct 19th 2002, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia as it is

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Jamesy:
[i]

This newsgroup is really getting me down - nothing but arguments. Of course I want to know the truth about Oz and don't expect nirvana once I get there, but there is so little that's positive to read on here now! Someone say something (good) and without f**k in every sentence!
KYLIE IS FROM OZ

Colin
Old Oct 19th 2002, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

clementd is an unknown quantity at this point

Said by someone who has probably never left the UK. Ok so London is better than the rest of the UK, but that is not saying much....I can't stand the UK, can't wait to leave!

Originally posted by Devlin:

"Who is tired of London, is tired of life"
Old Oct 19th 2002, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

c'mon ,pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaasssssssssse, quit this - getting very(underlined) boring.
Most of us on this NG dont give a f*** about you little quabbles.
Degrees or not - very childish!!

MODERATORS - WHERE THE F R ?

getting beyond a joke if u ask me.

Have you got kids. I've got 4 - the eldest was 14 today. Tonight she was brought home by the police - pissed as a fart. Threw up all over the police car and hasn't stopped since I put her to bed.
Sooooooooooo glad that she was brought home though cos its -2 degrees outside and I know she's safe. Only hope she's learnt her lesson!!
So c'mon guys - make peace not war.

Shona xxx
(very concerned parent)
Old Oct 20th 2002, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by micky:
c'mon ,pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaasssssssssse, quit this - getting very(underlined) boring.
Most of us on this NG dont give a f*** about you little quabbles.
Degrees or not - very childish!!

MODERATORS - WHERE THE F R ?

getting beyond a joke if u ask me.

Have you got kids. I've got 4 - the eldest was 14 today. Tonight she was brought home by the police - pissed as a fart. Threw up all over the police car and hasn't stopped since I put her to bed.
Sooooooooooo glad that she was brought home though cos its -2 degrees outside and I know she's safe. Only hope she's learnt her lesson!!
So c'mon guys - make peace not war.

Shona xxx
(very concerned parent)
Why do people here keep whinging for the moderators?! This is an UNMODERATED usenet group so get over it!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Jamesy:
[i]

This newsgroup is really getting me down - nothing but arguments. Of course I want to know the truth about Oz and don't expect nirvana once I get there, but there is so little that's positive to read on here now! Someone say something (good) and without f**k in every sentence!

What do you call postive ? people have to deal with life the same as people in UK , some states have better weather some are not much different , some things are cheaper some dearer.
What are you looking for ? , an escape from everyday life a change in lifestyle , to be honest life in Australia is far more limited than UK the word that comes to mind is bland.
If you want good wages unlimited horizons and people with drive go to the good old USA , if you fancy putting your clock 10 years backward Aussies for you .
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Devlin- i thought it was over 50% for rather than against (or am i wrong?)

Originally posted by Devlin:

Why do people here keep whinging for the moderators?! This is an UNMODERATED usenet group so get over it!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Grub:
Actually Devlin- i thought it was over 50% for rather than against (or am i wrong?)

Perhaps, however it hasn't been set up!

2 people shot dead in a building in Monash University where I did an economics class during my degree there. Australia becomes more like the US with every passing day! What's next a sniper in Perth?
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

What do you call postive ? people have to deal with life the same as people in UK , some states have better weather some are not much different , some things are cheaper some dearer.
What are you looking for ? , an escape from everyday life a change in lifestyle , to be honest life in Australia is far more limited than UK the word that comes to mind is bland.
If you want good wages unlimited horizons and people with drive go to the good old USA , if you fancy putting your clock 10 years backward Aussies for you .
PB - I think maybe you should get with the times in so called Great Britain. During my long and dreary train ride into Croydon today I read about the fact the average UK lunch hr is now 29 mins (9 minutes less than only 3 years ago..) People are spending on average 2 hrs a day to get to work in the South East..... The firemen are going on strike because their pay is terrible, in addition to the tubes. The air traffic control system has been partially privatised and is now in dire straights - mmmm Great Britain???

Oh yes - and the pension schemes are all up the 'swanny' everyone is ditching defined benefit schemes to save money

So our children - can't afford houses to live in and probably won't get a decent pension to retire on.

But - I'm sure you know better PB!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Hear hear!

I lived in London for 18 years, my son for 15.8 (that is his age) and I was so happy to see the back of it and its filth. I am now in Melbourne, my son goes out everyday, I am home from work in 20 mins (would be at least an hour in London) and my sons school has 750 pupils rather that 1500 and many hundreds on the waiting list. It is so much noticibly cleaner here, I have taken a 50% drop in wages, but it is all relative to where I live, I am no worse off, infact in terms of safety, confidence of my surroundings and general everyday life, I am so much more well off. Money is not an issue, we have enough to put a roof over our heads, food in our tummys and are able to go out no worries... off the track a little but just casting my mind back to Sunday when we were driving back from the airport, a sunny 17c day and everyone was out at the beach flying kites, in the park chilling out, and generally Melbourne came alive and it was just out of this world. You can all keep London and it's contents and put them where ever seems appropriate.

Yvonne

Originally posted by jockney:
I have been working in london for21 years since leaving west of scotland.In this time the place and the people have changed completly.I came from a place where everybody knew their neighbours and had a sense of community.Londeners have lost that.Community in london meant ethnic groups all taking over one area ensuring that they did not mix well.With the latest mix of illegals arriving in london the situation is going to get much worse in my opinion.I recently worked at canary wharf where a major construction project is under way to find that at least 70%wereillegals or asylum seekers.A rumour went round site that on a certain tuesday immigration and police would be visiting the site.The place was like a ghost town.While london continues down this line it will become even more secretive and unstable.Living in a place where people roll down their car windows and chuck all sorts of crap out without even thinking about it is bound to end up the tip it is.Devlin is welcome to london.Nobody will ever convince me that the beach resort in adelaide that we hope to live in will be worse this dump.ps I will miss the SPURS!!
Old Oct 21st 2002, 9:39 pm

silvervfr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by plucka:

Funny that you mention the future of the country. What was England like 200 years ago? It ruled the bloody planet, look at it now, been on the decline ever since. When I look around England I often think I'm living in the 50's because nothing has progressed since then. At least 200 years ago they knew how to build decent buildings. Now look at Aus, in that short time we have done nothing but move forward. We already have a better lifestyle, only a matter of time before we surpass you economically. Thats the difference between a forward looking progressive country and one on the decline. I know which one I want to be living in and very glad tossers like yourself are going back to where they belong.
Hi Plucka,

You are the first Ozzie that I have found on this site who is positive about your country. (Thank god!!) Cheers mate

I'm an open minded person and know it's going to hard settling into a new country, but after visiting Australia earlier this year I know it is a better place to bring up my kids.

Nick
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 1:54 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jamesy:
PB - I think maybe you should get with the times in so called Great Britain. During my long and dreary train ride into Croydon today I read about the fact the average UK lunch hr is now 29 mins (9 minutes less than only 3 years ago..) People are spending on average 2 hrs a day to get to work in the South East..... The firemen are going on strike because their pay is terrible, in addition to the tubes. The air traffic control system has been partially privatised and is now in dire straights - mmmm Great Britain???

Oh yes - and the pension schemes are all up the 'swanny' everyone is ditching defined benefit schemes to save money

So our children - can't afford houses to live in and probably won't get a decent pension to retire on.

But - I'm sure you know better PB!
Failed in UK come to Australia and you sound like you will fail here too , pay wise fireman are poorly paid ( thought better than Australia $42,000 is rate here)but your train driver gets 36, 000 pounds a year that not bad.
My son is in UK at 26years old has bought detached home in country area has 2 cars, one is a sportscar brand new Toyota MR2 Spyder, I transfered my UK private penison to Australian fund has since lost 30% of it value , 19% last year alone if I stopped in Australia I would not get a state penison because of super and person wealth includes cars and house contents.
The Aussies will love you what you are whinging about they see as something to put with , and would find minor.
Striking here is a national sport there is always some one out on strike even the Nurses have a ago.
PS How did Great Britain produce the likes of Richard Branson, reading your posts its beyond me?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 22nd 2002 at 6:42 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

I transfered my UK private penison to Australian fund has since lost 30% of it value , 19% last year alone
PB Firstly, I am somewhat surprised that an investor as sophisticated as you clearly are would have transferred their pension to a nation you consider backward and populated by a bunch of idiots,

Next where were the funds invested? If they had been in the UK your losses may well have been even greater, certainly over the past few years. In case you haven't been told, Wall Street, FTSE, CAC, DAX, Aus etc etc stockmarkets etc have been falling for a while now. Compare the latest indices to 2-3 years ago to get an idea of what I'm on about.

Finally what has you son's apparent success got to do with how successful you are or have been?? (did he inherit his wealth, suave good looks, charming personality, fantastic talents and sense of humour from you)?

DPR
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 4:14 am
Banned

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by dpr21:

PB Firstly, I am somewhat surprised that an investor as sophisticated as you clearly are would have transferred their pension to a nation you consider backward and populated by a bunch of idiots,

Next where were the funds invested? If they had been in the UK your losses may well have been even greater, certainly over the past few years. In case you haven't been told, Wall Street, FTSE, CAC, DAX, Aus etc etc stockmarkets etc have been falling for a while now. Compare the latest indices to 2-3 years ago to get an idea of what I'm on about.

Finally what has you son's apparent success got to do with how successful you are or have been?? (did he inherit his wealth, suave good looks, charming personality, fantastic talents and sense of humour from you)?

Its with company fund forget the fact it lost 50% of its value from the time I transfered it because of falling dollar, its invested in shares so you are right I must expect a poor return ,but its a worry that its gone so poor.
If you spoke my son he would say hes still thinks there is more for him to do and is not anywhere near earning what he wants to earn , the word is hungry and ambitious unlike the Aussies who sit back and want others to do for them.
Having seen some of the posts from Brits on this site I now wonder about which country has a "bunch of idiots", most name call on this forum because they are so deluded its all they have to argue with.
Being a poor Ape I would say my son does not take after me , must get back to looking flat out roll on happy hour at the GBT get rid of my ill gotten gains.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 22nd 2002 at 7:01 am.