Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:09 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
If people looked over their shoulders before chaning lanes (like motorcyclists do) then it would be no more dangerous than overtaking on the right.

if i remember rightly... mirror, signal, manoeuvre
Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:34 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
The bit they missed out is that you're not supposed to manoeuvre when there is something there.

Jasper Carrott had a story about this.

When I did my car driving test the driver was supposed to check over the shoulder just before the manoeuvre (in case there was something in the blind spot).

Old Sep 29th 2006, 4:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels
I don't know what some people are looking at, but it's certainly not over their shoulders before changing lanes. Or even the road ahead :scared:
I agree with you there. The scalectrix driver (stiff arms on the steering wheel looking straight ahead) is a common sight on UK and Aussie roads.

Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Was there not also a terrible mistake by the govt on that stretch of road ? something to do with the use of materials in construction which turn the highway into a huge sponge during rain??
Yes quite correct, the QLD govt. specified a cheaper macadam finish to save a few bucks resulting in a finish like an ice rink and the cause of countless accidents some fatal . A strictly policed speed limit was enforced until contractors could replace the affected section.
The actual section was at the northern side of Black Mountain, a little place called Federal which now after spending millions upgrading the highway the QLD government plan to flood as part of the Traveston Dam.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:50 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yes quite correct, the QLD govt. specified a cheaper macadam finish to save a few bucks resulting in a finish like an ice rink and the cause of countless accidents some fatal . A strictly policed speed limit was enforced until contractors could replace the affected section.
The actual section was at the northern side of Black Mountain, a little place called Federal which now after spending millions upgrading the highway the QLD government plan to flood as part of the Traveston Dam.
Did they actually replace the surface? I drove past there frequently during the roadworks but only ever noticed the erection of the steel wire central barricade. I dont recall the surface being relaid. I do remember Mr speed camera sleeping there every day for several months.

Last edited by cresta57; Sep 29th 2006 at 1:11 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest gripe on the roads are people who don't folow this in the correct order!!!!

...and THE WORST are those who signal right while driving in the middle lane of a motorway while you are about to speed past them in the overtaking lane.

Do they really expect me think" Hey...there's someone driving slower then me who has his/her indicator on...let me slam on the brakes to let them move in front of me"
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:15 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Did they actually replace the surface? I drove past there frequently during the roadworks but only ever noticed the erection of the steel wire central barricade. I dont recall the surface being relaid. I do remember Mr speed camera sleeping there every day for several months.
Yes they raised the level of the road substantially for just over a kilometre to increase the run off area. Large drainage culverts were also dug either side of the road.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 10:29 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

But if they taught the same as a motorbike "mirror, signal, lookback, manoeuvre" it would be inherently safer as it covers the blindspot. The missing out of the 'lookback/lifesaver' was the biggest failure point on motorcycle tests as it was the biggest risk area. if more people were trained to do this simple 'shoulder check' before changing lanes in either direction, it would cut down on the level of 'sideswipe' accidents. However, most drivers come with blinkers attached which prevent them from seeing anything other than the vehicle directly in front of them.