Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:27 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Austrailan Roads' Death Toll

Originally Posted by Centurion
But we do have central barriers on multilane highways so this isnt an issue.

Much like major UK A roads, where the highway reduces to single lane in each direction there is not a barrier but on multiple lanes there is usually a barrier of some description, if not metal/concrete then a wide strip and ditch with vegetation in, similar to the US.

Interestingly on a global scale Australia and the UK are about the same for the number of fatal incidents comparative to population and distances driven. The USA is slightly higher and New Zealand is about double!! (Facts courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_safety)

Now if you just look at motorways then the UK supercedes Australia in the number of fatalities, again comparative to population etc. But then the sheer scale of the UK motorway network would probably be a reason for that statistic anyway.

Amused me. Back to watching the storm from the balcony with some wine
Thank you, this was very informative. When we were in the UK we assumed the Brits must be better drivers, and attributed this to what we thought was a tougher process for obtaining a licence/smaller cars, less distance to travel...And I admit it didn't make sense because the Australian drivers I knew (this is only in my experience-not trying to generalise) were very good/cautious drivers and the majority of the Scots I meant were shocking - driving unlicenced, without seatbelts, with half a dozen more ppl in the car than legally allowed, and the acceptability of drink/drugged driving was scary... :scared:

But it doesn't seem like this is the case.
We also noticed that there was a LOT less roadkill on the roads (animals) and had a number of theories for this:
1. British obsession with small furry creatures (made them more careful/less likely to aim for them as a Qld'er might 'aim' for a cane toad...)
2. Relates to 1: possibly because there aren't that many animals left in the UK having been hunted to extinction so less animals = less roadkill?
3. Better drivers in the UK

But recently realised we were mistaken when, driving with (Scottish) pal over yet another putrid rotting wallaby carcass, I was berated by him for how slack our local police were...

Trying to put 2 and 2 together I asked him what he meant. Turns out where he is from the local law enforcement are responsible for clearing dead animals off the roads asap...I have never heard of this happening here (and it sure as hell doesn't happen in my local area).

So this is why it SEEMED like the UK were better drivers...

Just thought it was funny how we make our assumptions!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:40 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Most of the crap drivers I see in oz seem to be immigrants – usually English folk in Volvos who don't know what an indicator is.

Or the Scottish in hatchbacks with the Scottish flag stuck all over the back of it. Get over it please – you’re in Australia now, lose the flag we don’t care if you’re Scottish, Chinese or African – just concentrate on your driving.

Don't even get me started on the asian or Italians drivers.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Most of the crap drivers I see in oz seem to be immigrants – usually English folk in Volvos who don't know what an indicator is.

Or the Scottish in hatchbacks with the Scottish flag stuck all over the back of it. Get over it please – you’re in Australia now, lose the flag we don’t care if you’re Scottish, Chinese or African – just concentrate on your driving.

How do you know that the Volvo drivers are English immigrants?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah and don't forget to add women to that list
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen lots of crap Australian drivers - weaving in and out of the traffic, no anticipation, not courtesy.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I hope you have got your crash helmet on

Starting a thread with a title like that is very risky on here.

G

Was thinking the same thing. Pity really, all this tippy toeing around what its really like to live here for fear of upsetting those with a delicate constitution.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I've seen lots of crap Australian drivers - weaving in and out of the traffic, no anticipation, not courtesy.
I rode a motorbike in the UK to work. I've seen an equally shite amount of UK drivers - shame they didnt bother to see me. Must have been the bright yellow flourescent jacket and headlights on. Should have worn something more obvious I guess.

Pouring down with rain on and having a merc or BMW steam up behind you at warp factor 9 with headlights flashing to move over ?

The list goes on.

Seriously though - I think we can probably all agree there are some crap drivers out there no matter where we live and the vast majority of us will have our own special moment of a brain fart behind the wheel at some point in our driving careers. Some may even admit it too despite it always being the other bloke lol.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I rode a motorbike in the UK to work. I've seen an equally shite amount of UK drivers - shame they didnt bother to see me. Must have been the bright yellow flourescent jacket and headlights on. Should have worn something more obvious I guess.

Pouring down with rain on and having a merc or BMW steam up behind you at warp factor 9 with headlights flashing to move over ?

The list goes on.

Seriously though - I think we can probably all agree there are some crap drivers out there no matter where we live and the vast majority of us will have our own special moment of a brain fart behind the wheel at some point in our driving careers. Some may even admit it too despite it always being the other bloke lol.
Sure.

My response was just facetious. How the hell you can tell the nationality of a driver in a car is beyond me.

My second hand car has a German sticker on the back. Haven't been to Germany for 12 years.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I
and the vast majority of us will have our own special moment of a brain fart behind the wheel at some point in our driving careers. Some may even admit it too despite it always being the other bloke lol.
I nearly knocked someone over last week. Completely and utterly my fault.
I'm still shocked about it.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:06 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Plenty of folks I work with think nothing of drinking all afternoon and driving home. Often the company turns a blind eye whilst also paying for the beer. Could this possibly be a factor?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:07 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Without tarring all with the same brush, they're usually Aussies too.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:29 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

There is certainly more publicity in Australia of its road toll - particularly over the holiday periods when the TV stations have a running toll and regular updates. It makes for sobering viewing over the festive period, that's for certain.

It also makes me more aware of how dangerous driving can be if you have had a drink, or are tired - but I don't think everyone is like me

The main differences I have found here with other people's driving is:
1. Much more undertaking (I think that's the right term, when they pass you in the inside lane)
2. More running of red lights
3. Less use of indicators and more swerving in and out of lanes

I have found:
1. Less road rage
2. Less horn honking
3. About the same when it comes to same speeding
4. Less roadside testing (only come across this twice in two years)

I have heard people blame Asians / Arabs / migrants / rural folk / bogans / hoons for accidents on the road, but I think that you can't blame bad driving on a person's race, religion, class or migration status! I'm sure those whose families came over on the First Fleet have driven badly on occasions too
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:09 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, blame the immigrants.

How many generations do they have to be here before they aren't immigrants anymore?

On the driving front, I think there was another thread on here recently where they gave a someone over here a licence after 10 HOURS TRAINING.

I think I see part of the problem...........

P.S. Are you first generation? Because you sound like it.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
How many generations do they have to be here before they aren't immigrants anymore?
One. But in your case we'll make an exception.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:43 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
One. But in your case we'll make an exception.
No exceptions will need to be made for me, I am a mere visitor to these shores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.