Aussie xmas?

Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie xmas?

Originally Posted by tableland
The sole reason the UK celebrates Christmas in December is because it is a pagan festival to pay respect to nature and break the monotony of winter. The fesitval was later hi-jacked by Christians.

In other words, if you're going to be true to the tradition then you would have your winter festival somewhere round the shortest day - June 21. Maybe June 25 for example.

If Australia had been settled in more secular times, they probably would have reached this rational and logical conclusion and Australians today would celebrate in June. As it stands, it was settled in a deeply religious time, which means: no messing with the dates.
Okayyyyyy

I just feel sorry for the kiddies cause my kids are summer birthdays here June, July and August and over there they'll be winter birthdays, they're so used ot being out in the sun on their bdays and playing all day in the garden, damn bloody husband why couldn't he decided to move pre kids then i'd have had them all aroundxmas so they could enjoy the sun

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by JenJen
Okayyyyyy

I just feel sorry for the kiddies cause my kids are summer birthdays here June, July and August and over there they'll be winter birthdays, they're so used ot being out in the sun on their bdays and playing all day in the garden, damn bloody husband why couldn't he decided to move pre kids then i'd have had them all aroundxmas so they could enjoy the sun

Jen

Winter birthdays will be fine At least you can spend the full day at the park/beach. My sons was November & he was only in the park for about an hour at 10.30 & he got a little too red, my fault,wasn't quick enough with the sunscreen Summer can be too hot to be outdoors, which you don't really realise til you get here.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woogle
Winter birthdays will be fine At least you can spend the full day at the park/beach. My sons was November & he was only in the park for about an hour at 10.30 & he got a little too red, my fault,wasn't quick enough with the sunscreen Summer can be too hot to be outdoors, which you don't really realise til you get here.
My kids take after me we don't like Autumn and Winter
A happy medium, would be nice ??? Obviously being UK weather the sun wasn't too hot on any of their birthdays

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Quokka
Bah Humbug, what a sad b@stard you are
Have you actually been to one of these Christmas in July parties??.

The Bah Humbug rubbish applies to not celebrating Christmas, and trust me I plan to celebrate Christmas. What I don't plan to celebrate is a Christmas party in the middle of July just 'cos it happens to be a bit colder outside.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Have you actually been to one of these Christmas in July parties??.

The Bah Humbug rubbish applies to not celebrating Christmas, and trust me I plan to celebrate Christmas. What I don't plan to celebrate is a Christmas party in the middle of July just 'cos it happens to be a bit colder outside.
Chill count to 100

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so for those of you that have had Aussie xmas's what are they like?

I usually associate xmas with cold weather among obviously other things which all going ahead this will be our last one, just wondering what ppl associate with an Aussie Xmas

Jen
Hi Jen,

This is our 2nd xmas here however as we arrived just before xmas last year, it passed in a blur of house hunting ,car hunting ,shopping and sight-seeing so it feels like our first 'real' xmas this year.

It feels a bit strange listening to xmas songs about snow, and chestnuts roasting etc when I am driving to work and its 30 degrees, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing. The biggest 'down' factor would be that our family isnt here, and generally family is what helps makes xmas.

The plusses so far for me are that we have found that there are a lot of houses which go way over the top with the decorations, far more than I have ever seen in the UK, they are fantastic and are big enough for you to get out of your car and walk around (I am talking huge). We found a few last year and definitely plan to spend a couple of evenings driving around different areas looking at them. The other event, which we just discovered last night will definitely be part of our future traditions here was the Christmas Carols Family night at Movieworld. I took my 7 year old son, we sat on a couple of camp chairs with plastic macs wrapped around us (it did rain a little bit... at least that was reminiscent of the UK !). Carols, entertainment, and fireworks,it was really good. We left at 8.30 because my son was getting tired but there was still plenty going on including a special appearance by Mutto (one of the finalists from Australian Idol).

We also went to a local community fayre yesterday, which was suasage sizzle, bouncy castles, painting, kite making etc (all FREE) .. definitely wouldnt get that in the U.K. I think if you have kids, there is plenty to do to helo you enjoy the holidays, you just have to look in the local paper etc.

Julia
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:45 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

To all of you in Oz have a Merry Sunny Christmas and to those of you still back here with me have a Merry Christmas too - it is what you make of it wherever you are and as longa s we do that we'll be alright. Enjoy your turkey roasted or bbq'd!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

First Chritmas here.

Yesterday we went to see the Christmas lights that are apparently a tradition on Cumberland way in Perth. This is just a normal street. However they deck their houses out completely. People come from miles to see it. My mate lives in the street so we walked around with a glass of wine and it was surreal. Fantatic didn't feel like Christmas until I had done that last night.

Very surreal over here but loving it

hope you love it too

hugs Lace xxx
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:00 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Mr movers X-MAS Dinner .............. mm
Attached Images  
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Mr movers X-MAS Dinner .............. mm
Lobster or crayfish? :scared:
Old Dec 17th 2006, 11:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Christmas is what you make it, I agree with what some of the other posters have said

Sure, I like the cold Christmas's too - like the whole shivering in front of the fire with a cuppa before opening pressies and then watching re-runs on the telly, eating too much food and drinking too much booze!

However, Aussie Christmas (our style) is BBQ English Breakfast on the patio with champagne orange, fresh coffee, lucky dip presents, music, laughs etc before opening presents, lazing around in the air cond or on the patio, before having a traditional English style dinner - Turkey, Ham, Roasties, Mash, Sprouts, Peas, Gravy and then Pud and custard for afters with a bottle of wine, beer or whatever drink you fancy!

Then it is lazing around in the loungeroom drinking irish coffee and having a laugh!

Telly usually stays off

Ok...so maybe it doesn't feel too chrismassy because of the heat and because not everyone has gone overboard on their outside decs, but if you hunt around, there are some great streets taking part (there's one in Connolly, Perth and the whole street is done).

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Just down the road from me, Prairie Dunes in Connolly for anyone wanting a peek.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Just down the road from me, Prairie Dunes in Connolly for anyone wanting a peek.
Now you are talking Irish coffees in the sun.bliss.x Irishbloo
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

I don't think i'll miss the cold

BUT

It has always been part of xmas for me so just wondered how ppl found not having a cold xmas out there, I thin i'll find it really hard to associate it as being xmas too.

I also think your right xmas is about family and we've only had 1 year in teh last 8 without family round, unfortunately mine seem to invite themselves, like this year everyone thinks it will be our last so have all said they really want to spend xmas with us (in laws should really have appreciated us more while we were here lol) Meanwhile we thought we might have got a quiet xmas with the kids.
Nope as per usual we've got about 4 - 5 extra for xmas this year all moaning cause they don't want to get round for about 8am and wondering why my kids can't wait til about 10 - 11am ????
As much as I hate it sometimes like the cold weather it's been like this for years so next year (fingers crossed visa granted etc) it will be strange to be without them, although we've already been asked to my aussie mates for xmas dinner along with the rest of the family...

Jen
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think i'll miss the cold

BUT

It has always been part of xmas for me so just wondered how ppl found not having a cold xmas out there, I thin i'll find it really hard to associate it as being xmas too.

I also think your right xmas is about family and we've only had 1 year in teh last 8 without family round, unfortunately mine seem to invite themselves, like this year everyone thinks it will be our last so have all said they really want to spend xmas with us (in laws should really have appreciated us more while we were here lol) Meanwhile we thought we might have got a quiet xmas with the kids.
Nope as per usual we've got about 4 - 5 extra for xmas this year all moaning cause they don't want to get round for about 8am and wondering why my kids can't wait til about 10 - 11am ????
As much as I hate it sometimes like the cold weather it's been like this for years so next year (fingers crossed visa granted etc) it will be strange to be without them, although we've already been asked to my aussie mates for xmas dinner along with the rest of the family...

Jen

If it's any consolation, Jen, it's damn cold up in the mts, and has been for a few days, which is good for that Christmas feeling, but not so good for the poor kid who's lost up here, somewhere up the road in the bush.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:34 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Sure.

You'll never find me though... Katoomba's main street in Winterfest looks like this:

And that's towards the end of the festival.

Can you spot me?
Are you the one on the far left just slightly out of focus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.