Aussie xmas?

Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie xmas?

Originally Posted by Bordy
Good to hear you don't have to far to travel for the old folks home in years to come.
The one-time captain who is now in his 70s was heard last year telling one of his cronies that he had actually had a shufti around the home, and had, indeed, even bagged a bed.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

can't be doing with old age, would have to think of a way out of it before I get that far

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:13 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ok so for those of you that have had Aussie xmas's what are they like?
Pretty crap, just not the same...
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenJen
LMAO nice one was that an invite????

Jen

Sure.

You'll never find me though... Katoomba's main street in Winterfest looks like this:

And that's towards the end of the festival.

Can you spot me?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:31 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

It is totally bizarre and does not feel like Christmas at all. If our neighbours didn't imvite us and OH didn't have time off work I don't think we would know it was Christmas!! I think we need kids to bring it back to like for us though oh and a tree which I will buy tomorrow. Where do you get real trees from on the sunshine coast? Oh and ones without bugs in!!!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 11:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aussie xmas?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
iii) When was the last time it snowed in the UK on Christmas day, and how frequent is that?
In my 37 years I only remember one white Christmas, that was in the West Country in 1981.

Buzzy
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iPom
Sure.

You'll never find me though... Katoomba's main street in Winterfest looks like this:

And that's towards the end of the festival.

Can you spot me?
I can spot you a mile away ipom your the one behind the camera LMAOOOO

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Unless you're joking, which I am sure you are, all you're doing is demonstrating your shear cynicism.
i) Why not?
ii) It's a good idea? (I thought so!)
iii) When was the last time it snowed in the UK on Christmas day, and how frequent is that?
Last time it snowed in the UK for me on Christmas day was last Christmas. I was in Manchester and it snowed for most of the morning..

Christmas Dinner and party hats and crackers in July.. what's the point? Its not Christmas, so why pretend it is?.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:12 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
Sorry iPom, I managed to completely miss your post about Winterfest
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:17 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
If I remember right you are coming to Melbourne so you can enjoy Xmas in July.
Book Xmas dinner in Sassafras or Olinda & you might even get snow if your lucky.

Actually this might work out really well for me.
My birthday is very close to Xmas and I've always said I should celebrate it in the summer. This sounds like the perfect solution.
Presents twice a year, yay
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In my 37 years I only remember one white Christmas, that was in the West Country in 1981.

Buzzy

I can only remember one snowy christmas day too, and i think it was the in the 80's.
I can remember one winter when we had the most of Jan off school as the snow had cut my parents village off, we had to get out of the house from the bedroom window and we used a sledge to get coal from the pit slag heaps.
(god i feel old now)
Christmas is what you make it . to me it never matters where i am for christmas as long as my hubby and kids are with me
Mandy
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Christmas Dinner and party hats and crackers in July.. what's the point? Its not Christmas, so why pretend it is?.
Bah Humbug

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 17th 2006 at 2:23 am. Reason: personal abuse will not be tolerated on the forum
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:04 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Its bloomin fantastic..................no hype....sooooo chilled out.....everybody just relaxes and see what the day brings. No standing for hours preparing a huge chrissy dinner and then sitting watching crap on the telly feeling sorry for yourself cos u have eaten too much.

We went to the beach, cooked prawns on the camping stove had them with salad and a few beers, then a dook in the Ocean....pure quality

Just read the womans own mag lol and u can see for yersel
Bring it on ....i cannot bloody wait

Was that you in the mag then?
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
I can only remember one snowy christmas day too, and i think it was the in the 80's.
I can remember one winter when we had the most of Jan off school as the snow had cut my parents village off, we had to get out of the house from the bedroom window and we used a sledge to get coal from the pit slag heaps.
(god i feel old now)
Christmas is what you make it . to me it never matters where i am for christmas as long as my hubby and kids are with me
Mandy
I was little but I remember it
Cause we were more interested in playing in the snow than opening presents that year or should i say I spent ages pursuading my dad to break off the icicles hanging like swords from the gutters so me and my brother could have an icicle fight then make snow angels, twas the one xmas that no presents were opened before 10:30am lol

I used to get out of my parents place via my bedroom window anyway lol

JenJen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Evening. Do you not think that the 'Christmas in July' thing isn't just a little sad?... unless those mountains of yours are covered in snow in July, which somehow I doubt.
The sole reason the UK celebrates Christmas in December is because it is a pagan festival to pay respect to nature and break the monotony of winter. The fesitval was later hi-jacked by Christians.

In other words, if you're going to be true to the tradition then you would have your winter festival somewhere round the shortest day - June 21. Maybe June 25 for example.

If Australia had been settled in more secular times, they probably would have reached this rational and logical conclusion and Australians today would celebrate in June. As it stands, it was settled in a deeply religious time, which means: no messing with the dates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.