Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie questions

Aussie questions

Old Mar 5th 2001, 7:59 pm
Steve

Good morning

Hopefully soon it will be my US g/f and my turn to start the ball rolling. I am waiting
for the time when I can file for divorce (less than 4 weeks) and when that has come
through we can start down the long and winding INS road.

Some questions for Aussies who have been there done that.

1. Is there a US consulate in Brisbane or will I have to deal with Sydney? Any phone
numbers will be helpfull.

2. Is there a great significance in the POE? I have read some confusing posts about
having to travel back to your POE. I will be moving to Florida but generally enter the
states in L.A. Will this be a problem?

3. Are there any Australian websites of couples who have made the journey that will give
me some hints as to what to look out for?

4. Is there a time limit on how long previous to the interview that you can get your
police record? There is no point arranging for that if it has to be less than 1 or 2
months old.

5. Are there any approved physicians in or around Brisbane or do I have to go to Sydney
for my medical as well?

6. Can you tell me what vaccinations are required to enter the states? Do I need written
proof of all these vaccinations? I'm 48 and therefore a lot of my childhood
vaccinations will not be recorded. Things like polio injections were done at the local
community hall on a production line basis. Walk in, get a jab, get a lolly, hooroo.

Well that's it for now. I have found the FAQ to be quite helpfull but as of yet have
not needed the info in there. As the time draws on, I guess I will be posting more
questions and at the end of it all I hope to post some answers for others how plan to
go through this.

Steve

Old Mar 5th 2001, 8:08 pm
Nalu

>
    >
    >
recorded.
    >
on
    >

I got my physicall done in January (Honolulu). I didn't have any immunization records
either. I know for sure that you need at least the Tetanus (boost shot every 10 years),
the Hepatitis B is a series of 3 shots, and takes 6 months to complete. I didn't have
records for the child vaccines, like polio; but the Dr. said it was ok. For the MMR
(measles, mumps and rubella) I got blood a test done, to check for antibodies, it came out
positive, so I didn't need a new shot. Some of the other shots are only given by season
(i.e. flu, only during the fall). In any instance, you need to contact the physician, and
he/she will tell you which ones will be requiered for your age.

Good luck, Nalu.

ps. You can check the info below...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
Recent changes to United States immigration law now require immigrant visa applicants to
obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa.
Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are now
required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the new vaccination
requirement, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one
or more of the listed vaccinations:

mumps measles rubella polio tetanus and diphtheria toxoids pertussis influenza type b
(Hib) hepatitis B varicella pneumococcal and influenza

In order to assist the panel physician, and to avoid delays in the processing of an
immigrant visa, all immigrant visa applicants should have their vaccination records
available for the panel physician's review at the time of the immigrant medical
examination. Visa applicants should consult with their regular health care provider to
obtain a copy of their immunization record, if one is available. If you do not have a
vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations
you may need to meet the requirement. Certain waivers of the vaccination requirement are
available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate
for you, given your age, medical history and current medical condition.

Old Mar 5th 2001, 11:03 pm
Alvena Ferreira

You may want to consider direct consular filing also:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/dcf.html There is a special aussie link there. You
could be in the US, fully adjusted to conditional permanent resident status, in about two
months after the divorce, give or take. alvena

Steve wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 1:52 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

I am doing a Direct Consular File through Sydney when I marry my Fiance at the end of
April. I am a bit of a planner so i already have my interview date about 8 weeks out from
when I actually need it.

To Direct consular File (DCF) call the consulate tell them that you plan to marry your
fiance here in Australia (that is part of the catch)and that you will be filing the
petition together after the wedding. The consulate should send you out a packet three
which tells you all the information to get together. Once you have it or know you will
have it by the interview date send the checklist back to the consulate.

There will be GP in Brisbane who can do the medical exam. I have the list at home with the
name and numbers and can email you the details if you like. And regarding the
vaccinations, I was looking at my paperwork last night from the drs and all they were
concerned about was my MMR, tetnus and polio. Most GP's could give you these (that is if
you prefer going to your own doctor) and then you could take a letter stating when you had
them to the medical exam. It never hurts to have these things twice.

The police certificate is valid for 12 months. It took me about three weeks to get it here
in NSW. Cost here was $100.

Good luck. I am sure it will all work out for you.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

----- Posted via NewsOne.Net: Free (anonymous) Usenet News via the Web -----

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts

Old Mar 6th 2001, 1:53 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

I am doing a Direct Consular File through Sydney when I marry my Fiance at the end of
April. I am a bit of a planner so i already have my interview date about 8 weeks out from
when I actually need it.

To Direct consular File (DCF) call the consulate tell them that you plan to marry your
fiance here in Australia (that is part of the catch)and that you will be filing the
petition together after the wedding. The consulate should send you out a packet three
which tells you all the information to get together. Once you have it or know you will

There will be GP in Brisbane who can do the medical exam. I have the list at home with the
vaccinations, I was looking at my paperwork last night from the drs and all they were
concerned about was my MMR, tetnus and polio. Most GP's could give you these (that is if
you prefer going to your own doctor) and then you could take a letter stating when you had

The police certificate is valid for 12 months. It took me about three weeks to get it here

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 1:57 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

when I actually need it.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 1:58 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

when I actually need it.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 1:59 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

when I actually need it.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 2:02 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

when I actually need it.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 2:02 am
fionanicholson

Hi Steve

when I actually need it.

Fiona

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 2:16 am
Susan Crockett

My husband (Brisbane) and I recently did DCF (last month). There is no consulate in
Brisbane - you must use Sydney. We also live in Florida. He flew out on JAL and the POE
was Chicago. It took less than 1/2 hour for him and two children to process. Then a
non-stop flight to Orlando. Here is a web site with lots of detailed info.
http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Breakers/3604/ There is an approved physician in
Brisbane, Dr. Hickey. Good luck. Sue

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 6th 2001, 4:06 am
Kellie

Steve,

About 2 weeks ago, I emailed the Sydney Consulate ( I am doing DCF), requesting packet 3.
If your fiance can come out here, and you get married here, it seems a very quick road.
Anyway, I received the package about a week (give or take a day or so) later.

In that you will receive all the forms needed, the list of doctor's in your state. From
what I can see in regard to vaccinations, get everything! The last thing you want holding
you up is one little injection. Those you CAN get done early.

Packet 3 also includes a request form for your police records.

The Sydney Consulate's phone number is 02 9373 9200.

Kell

Old Mar 6th 2001, 12:15 pm
Jonathan_ATC

Just for future reference, you don't need to keep posting until you see your message. Have
a little faith that what you posted WILL get up on the server.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's Fiance Visa Page
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For reliable
advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
to
    >
you