Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Originally Posted by jeffcaz02
We never had any idea of this, didnt think it was so difficult, after all plenty of other natinalities bring partners here. Programs on moving and books weve read dont project what you are telling me, I never expected all the negative comments on living down under, its not just a want to be there its a need for my health I know living in such a brilliant climate will give me a life to live, instead of the existence I know face. Expenses on day to day living has to be better than paying huge gas bills all year, I have to keep warm because of my medical problems.
On Saturday I met a woman frm the Sydney region she also had similar medical problems as I have, 10 yrs ago she left our shores shes now sympton free all for $32 towards the cost of meds that and the climate given her a new life .. she told me the care she got in the uk was rubbish compared to what she has gotten in Sydney .
That alone us enough to have to get a visa.
It sounds like you want to come to the uk, do you think theyd let us swap , lol ... if I was you I would reconsider this country is going to the dogs.. tory government has changed too much , unless your of ample means your not consudered as having needs , the NHS has totaly gone to pot both myself and my husband have had serious issues with the way now dearly missed members of our families were treated at a time when every resoucre should of been put into there care. But if your gone 60 .. your care in the NHS is not what it should be.
There have been hundreds of stories similar in the press ..the jobs on offer are not paying what they did 3 yrs ago due to E U citizens accepting wages under the minimum wage. Thats is you manage to get a contract thats not zero hours... these contracts arent just going to those at the bottom end of employment but office work & Banking roles have been reported to also be offering these . This is the con the goverment have allowed to go just so they can fool the british public that theyve created millions of jobs.. most of them are not worth having.
Housing is also mega expensive to buy especially in or near any big city.
I wish you all the very best if you do come over to the UK ?
Have a very good day and thanks again for everything
Arol
How about you put down the Daily Mail for a second and take a look at the real Australia and the real UK.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Come on over, the sunshine is lovely and is the cure all for life away from the grey UK. There are jobs for everyone and such high wages that you won't need to worry about the cost of living. The Aussies love the Brits (POMS) and you will be welcomed with open arms. Listen to everything those knowledgeable and exciting Expos tell you and watch every 'Wanted down under programme' - such great resources for research. Why stay in the UK with all those foreign immigrants when you can be a foreign immigrant in Australia?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We never had any idea of this, didnt think it was so difficult, after all plenty of other natinalities bring partners here. Programs on moving and books weve read dont project what you are telling me, I never expected all the negative comments on living down under, its not just a want to be there its a need for my health I know living in such a brilliant climate will give me a life to live, instead of the existence I know face. Expenses on day to day living has to be better than paying huge gas bills all year, I have to keep warm because of my medical problems.
On Saturday I met a woman frm the Sydney region she also had similar medical problems as I have, 10 yrs ago she left our shores shes now sympton free all for $32 towards the cost of meds that and the climate given her a new life .. she told me the care she got in the uk was rubbish compared to what she has gotten in Sydney .
That alone us enough to have to get a visa.
It sounds like you want to come to the uk, do you think theyd let us swap , lol ... if I was you I would reconsider this country is going to the dogs.. tory government has changed too much , unless your of ample means your not consudered as having needs , the NHS has totaly gone to pot both myself and my husband have had serious issues with the way now dearly missed members of our families were treated at a time when every resoucre should of been put into there care. But if your gone 60 .. your care in the NHS is not what it should be.
There have been hundreds of stories similar in the press ..the jobs on offer are not paying what they did 3 yrs ago due to E U citizens accepting wages under the minimum wage. Thats is you manage to get a contract thats not zero hours... these contracts arent just going to those at the bottom end of employment but office work & Banking roles have been reported to also be offering these . This is the con the goverment have allowed to go just so they can fool the british public that theyve created millions of jobs.. most of them are not worth having.
Arol
I'd happily swap. My family and many friends are all over there and I go home twice a year so I'm up on the reality of it - which seems to be different from yours . Same brown stuff, different bucket...but its home. Australia isn't.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie

Morning and thank you for all your advice, we watch wanted down under avidly, and never thought it was so so expensive to live , we were under the impression that electric was far cheaper than here in the UK, food evens itself out and rents were the only thing more expensive. But with what your saying we are now rather upset and confused. My hubby served in the navy as a chef for 16 yrs cooking for foreign dignitaries and V I P S, cooking all types of cusine, along with cooking for the Royal FAmily Inc Prince Philip and her majesty, I would think this was special enough!!
We just have to keep looking for an employer ...

Many thanks
Carol and Jeff.

You are deluding yourself, stop watching television and seeing what you want to see.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a medical condition, with symptoms that improve with warmer weather and sunshine, I fully understand - some parts of Australia could be a good thing for you.

HOWEVER - in all other respects you are wearing some pretty thick rose-tinted spectacles. Just to pick up on one of the (as Dorothy pointed out) Daily Mail style comments you posted earlier... if you think UK politicians are bad, wait until you discover the Australian version, with the likes of Tony Abbott and Clive Palmer. Absolutely frightening.
Then again you might just fit right in!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie

Morning and thank you for all your advice, we watch wanted down under avidly, and never thought it was so so expensive to live , we were under the impression that electric was far cheaper than here in the UK, food evens itself out and rents were the only thing more expensive. But with what your saying we are now rather upset and confused. My hubby served in the navy as a chef for 16 yrs cooking for foreign dignitaries and V I P S, cooking all types of cusine, along with cooking for the Royal FAmily Inc Prince Philip and her majesty, I would think this was special enough!!
We just have to keep looking for an employer ...

Many thanks
Carol and Jeff.
Who said Australia was expensive? In comparison to what? For me Australia (Sydney) is cheaper than London by a considerable way. For someone else in different shoes it may be different.

I know it looks small on Wanted Down Under but Australia is a big place with varying costs and salaries, just like in the UK - you know, the north is cheaper than the south but the south is where the salaries are, unless you like fly in fly out from Aberdeen.

You really need to do proper research rather than listening to fluff on WDU and BE.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:37 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

if I was you I would reconsider this country is going to the dogs.. tory government has changed too much , unless your of ample means your not consudered as having needs , the NHS has totaly gone to pot both myself and my husband have had serious issues with the way now dearly missed members of our families were treated at a time when every resoucre should of been put into there care. But if your gone 60 .. your care in the NHS is not what it should be.
Arol
Hmm. Change a few words here & there and does this sound familiar to anyone?

if I was you I would reconsider this country is going to the dogs.. ALP/Lib government has changed too much , unless your of ample means your not consudered as having needs , the public health systemhas totaly gone to pot

the jobs on offer are not paying what they did 3 yrs ago due to foreign students, illegal immigrants & visa overstayers accepting wages under the minimum wage. Thats is you manage to get a contract thats not zero hours... these contracts arent just going to those at the bottom end of employment but office work & Banking roles have been reported to also be outsourced to the likes of 457 visa workers .

This is the con the goverment have allowed to go just so they can fool the british public that theyve created millions of jobs.. by counting someone with 1 hour's employment per week 'emloyed' in their unemployment figures.

Housing is also mega expensive to buy especially in or near any big city. due to several factors such as negative gearing, overseas investors to name but a few.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

This is the con the goverment have allowed to go just so they can fool the british public that theyve created millions of jobs.. most of them are not worth having.
You should be thanking the Tories for keeping Britian largely out of the EU woes. Be thankful there are jobs, rather than none.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:11 am
Just Joined

jeffcaz02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
How about you put down the Daily Mail for a second and take a look at the real Australia and the real UK.
morning, Why are there so many on this forum site ready to kick me in the teeth, just because we want o much to live in Austrailia. Im insulted that you say I need to put the daily mail down, a paper I wouldnt dream of reading, I have spoken to lots of different people whove made the move who tell it like it is, I never ever imagined that this site would be full of negative people. I have intelligence to know nowheres grass is greener on all fronts, I would rather struggle financially, or work every hour in Australia than remain in this place. I have medical issues that the climate will improve , that alone is more than enough reason .
I only entered the site to ask for peoples help in getting emplyment agencies contact address's.
I wish you a good day.
Carol
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
You should be thanking the Tories for keeping Britian largely out of the EU woes. Be thankful there are jobs, rather than none.
would you be happy having only a zero hours contract on offer, its those who have way of keeping those people with lesser means down on the bottom run... All politicians here think of of themselves not those in genuine need.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

would you be happy having only a zero hours contract on offer, its those who have way of keeping those people with lesser means down on the bottom run... All politicians here think of of themselves not those in genuine need.
Casual contracts are extremely commonplace here....they are very similar to zero hours.

If you are called in you get some work...if not then tough shit!

You really need to be a bit more realistic about what you think it is like here.

I will be returning to the UK in the next few weeks.....partly to get back to a more liveable climate......and partly because I am bored beyond belief here.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Politicians here are no different, if anything they are worse

Please don't confuse realism with negativity. Most people on BE are happy with their lives here, not negative about Aus at all and are just pointing out the realities of life here to you.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Casual contracts are extremely commonplace here....they are very similar to zero hours.

If you are called in you get some work...if not then tough shit!

You really need to be a bit more realistic about what you think it is like here.

I will be returning to the UK in the next few weeks.....partly to get back to a more liveable climate......and partly because I am bored beyond belief here.
Thanks for your reply, im not somstupid to think its 100% employment, we know this , were also aware its not for everyone, we want this so much and have a realistic opportunity for myself to become well enough to work, I need the climate due to ill heath and intend living either northern queensland or northern western Australia, where the climate is hot .. weve montiotored the weather in Australia for the past 5 ysars aso are well aware of the humidity etc.
I hope you find the life you need back here in the uk.

Have a good day carol
Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, im not somstupid to think its 100% employment, we know this , were also aware its not for everyone, we want this so much and have a realistic opportunity for myself to become well enough to work, I need the climate due to ill heath and intend living either northern queensland or northern western Australia, where the climate is hot .. weve montiotored the weather in Australia for the past 5 ysars aso are well aware of the humidity etc.
I hope you find the life you need back here in the uk.

Have a good day carol
I Carol.

Please do not take this as a dig - I never get involved in that.

But, I do think you need to do a LOT more research.

I will only speak for Northern WA, as I have spent a lot of time there.

First, the heat. This is a heat very different to what you think. Just like a cold climate can feel much warmer or much colder than the thermostat reads, hot can do the same. In the north of WA, it is common for it to be well over 40c, and real extremes are not unusual. But, it can, due to the dry winds, feel much hotter. Then, summer comes! The humidity builds and the cyclones come in and batter the area.

Then there is housing and work. The towns there are remote and small and a LONG way from anywhere - fancy a wander round a city? well, that will be hundred of $$$ on a plane. Most of the work in the larger areas such as Port Hedland is mining related. However, mining in Oz is suffering a major decline with thousands of redundancies. The towns like Hedland are suffering as a result. The property up there is VERY expensive, though it has fallen a massive amount in recent months and there was a case in the paper of a house that was bought only a year or so ago for $1.3 million. Now selling for $300k. However, even with the slump, all that gets you is a shack made of asbestos.

Because of the slump, work is getting harder and harder to find - some towns have seen half their population made redundant.

The big cities such as Perth are now also feeling it, as well as the state government who are having to look at big cuts - the state gets a lot of its income from royalties from iron ore mining. It based its budget on a iron price of about $140 a tonne. The actual price though is now nearly $50. So, a huge hole they are trying to fill by cuts and more redundancies

I really would do a lot more research before you spend lots of time thinking about a move.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No I wouldn't therefore never sign up for a 0 hours contract. What madness would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.