Aus v UK

Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus v UK

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Might have to have a scout around Midland, why should bogans have all the fun?
They have to have cheap beer because you drink twice as much with two heads.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Might have to have a scout around Midland, why should bogans have all the fun?

The only reason to be in Midland after dark is to go to the cinema, or to Dan Murphy's, or both
Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I do feel the lingering men and women prefer each others company largely though if not as pronounced as once was.

I believe this is in decline. This has actually never happened for us. Always mixed groups since we got here.

My advice - it's easy to focus on the deary and everyday in trouble spots.

It's expensive moving to Aus these days but it's important to get a life that essentially removes alot of the issues - good job ,good location, good package, good suburb. Easier said that done.

A lot of the problems come about when people are marginalised or have issues in more than one key area. Life can go from a very tidy life to a very mediocre one very quickly if there are a lot of issues. For example, if work life is temporary, or the suburb is a bit ordinary, lots of other things can start to grate.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Darkmoon_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Aus v UK

Read with interest a couple of comments saying that the Aussies were not very forward looking or proactive when it comes to working practises.

Perhaps I've got lucky, but my first 18 months in Aus, with an East Melbourne IT company has been completely idyllic: an extremely refreshing attitude to innovating and trying out new ideas, interesting work and a flat structure with no apparent conflicts.

This is all in stark contrast to much of my 10 years the same industry in London, where the most middle of the road, conservative solutions were always the ones that got picked and the product suffered (and in one instance completely canned after 6 months) due not to technical ability but toxic client relationships or disruptive inter-departmental politics.

Seems to me that Australia, with its relatively new tech boom, is going about things in an eager, plucky, keen-to-catch-up way and as a result being rather excellent. All the while, much of British management rest on their laurels, believing they'll stay the best by doing the 'same-old' while actually slowly bleeding the more ambitious of their technical talent to other countries, because the work is neither rewarding or rewarded.

I left the UK partly because of all that nonsense; so far Australia seems a lot more straightforward and ambitious to me!

Last edited by Darkmoon_UK; Apr 7th 2015 at 10:52 am.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darkmoon_UK
Read with interest a couple of comments saying that the Aussies were not very forward looking or proactive when it comes to working practises.

Perhaps I've got lucky, but my first 18 months in Aus, with an East Melbourne IT company has been completely idyllic: an extremely refreshing attitude to innovating and trying out new ideas, interesting work and a flat structure with no apparent conflicts.

This is all in stark contrast to much of my 10 years the same industry in London, where the most middle of the road, conservative solutions were always the ones that got picked and the product suffered (and in one instance completely canned after 6 months) due not to technical ability but toxic client relationships or disruptive inter-departmental politics.

Seems to me that Australia, with its relatively new tech boom, is going about things in an eager, plucky, keen-to-catch-up way and as a result being rather excellent. All the while, much of British management rest on their laurels, believing they'll stay the best by doing the 'same-old' while actually slowly bleeding the more ambitious of their technical talent to other countries, because the work is neither rewarding or rewarded.

I left the UK partly because of all that nonsense; so far Australia seems a lot more straightforward and ambitious to me!
Yes, it all depends - my experience of that market is that there are 2 strands - old "IT" (various size companies, too many sectors to mention) and a raft of smaller, boutique software houses, particularly in the digital space, say.

For now, I prefer old IT - but my time might come back to the smaller places, as CTO, for example.