Aus v UK

Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus v UK

That's kind of funny.

You said

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I don't care for the working environment especially. A lot of wrong people in positions for the wrong reasons and wouldn't have lasted in other countries I've worked in.
Then said

Likewise the abuse of 457's in quarters and the lack of training of locals or even placing locals when skilled foreigners can be recruited to do the work is also creating a degree of community angst.
The 2 kind of go hand in hand don't they? If the locals are shite, you bring in the foreigners.

For what its worth, what you see over in Perth isn't really reflective on the rest of the country. It's a little micro climate over there. You just need to walk down St George's Terrace and look at the names on the buildings. You don't see those names in the centres of the cities on the east coast.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's kind of funny.

You said

Then said

The 2 kind of go hand in hand don't they? If the locals are shite, you bring in the foreigners.

For what its worth, what you see over in Perth isn't really reflective on the rest of the country. It's a little micro climate over there. You just need to walk down St George's Terrace and look at the names on the buildings. You don't see those names in the centres of the cities on the east coast.
No as a number of the imports are not necessary better and those that are tend to be often overlooked. It is a matter of putting the right people in the position not one that fits into the clique ....

Yes I know Perth has a little micro climate of its own. More the reason why the changing winds will have greater impact on this city.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know Perth has a little micro climate of its own. More the reason why the changing winds will have greater impact on this city.
Always happens to Perth and the Gold Coast to a lesser degree, but they always bounce back.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mountaintop
what is it like in Australia (compared with UK)
working there Better. More relaxed. Better benefits/conditions.
cost of living Pretty horrendous really
salaries Very good. In my industry. Less than UK in my wifes.
view of foreigners Generally fine. Most people are foreigners
weather Generally great
living in a suburb A nice (read expensive) suburb in Sydney then great. An affordable for the average Joe suburb - dull and not so nice
travel costs within Australia and abroad Mixed. But generally cheaper I think. Petrol lower. city transport cheaper. But budget airlines not as cheap
men's view of women I reckon there's more chauvinism in the UK
safety Pretty good. Feels much safer (once you get over the lower or lack of street lighting) here. The 'bad' estates are nothing like the UK
There's my humble from my narrow viewpoint in Sydney's eastern suburbs.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

These are my views based on Queensland:-

Large, spacious, diverse, big weather events, warmer / hotter. The people speak English but are culturally different.

working there
Frustrating with too much "She'll be right" attitude.As Troubadour said many idiots and unqualified people in jobs they shouldn't be in. Who you are not what you know is rife. Use cheap unofficial labour if given the chance. Pride themselves on a "give us a go" ethos but screw each other at every opportunity.

cost of living
The only criteria is what percentage of your earnings are spent to live. Now it is all in pounds. Later it will be in dollars. Try not to mix the two by using conversions. You have to look at the whole package as individual items can vary a lot.

salaries
Generally higher

view of foreigners
Generally okay but geographical origin can sometimes make a difference.

weather
Superb for me. Sunny, hot, humid, monsoonal rains. I've liked it all. Warm rain is so much more tolerable!

living in a suburb
I've lived in a few without issue but you need to do ground work investigation before choosing. ie is it family orientated, who lives in the community, any weather or wildlife risks, what nearby facilities like schools, shops, doctors etc

men's view of women
Chicks are beginning to dominate. Blokes are too thick to realise.

safety
Pretty good in every day life. The worst I've seen in the workplace. Full of red tape when it comes to H&S certification and tickets and you can't get a job without it but it's pretty much ignored in situ.

Last edited by Bix; Mar 5th 2015 at 9:09 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No as a number of the imports are not necessary better and those that are tend to be often overlooked. It is a matter of putting the right people in the position not one that fits into the clique ....

That aint ever going to happen in Australia. Too many people protecting their own position through politics, lip service and unionism rather than actually being talented.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
These are my views based on Queensland:-

Large, spacious, diverse, big weather events, warmer / hotter. The people speak English but are culturally different.

working there
Frustrating with too much "She'll be right" attitude.As Troubadour said many idiots and unqualified people in jobs they shouldn't be in. Who you are not what you know is rife. Use cheap unofficial labour if given the chance. Pride themselves on a "give us a go" ethos but screw each other at every opportunity.

cost of living
The only criteria is what percentage of your earnings are spent to live. Now it is all in pounds. Later it will be in dollars. Try not to mix the two by using conversions. You have to look at the whole package as individual items can vary a lot.

salaries
Generally higher

view of foreigners
Generally okay but geographical origin can sometimes make a difference.

weather
Superb for me. Sunny, hot, humid, monsoonal rains. I've liked it all. Warm rain is so much more tolerable!

living in a suburb
I've lived in a few without issue but you need to do ground work investigation before choosing. ie is it family orientated, who lives in the community, any weather or wildlife risks, what nearby facilities like schools, shops, doctors etc

men's view of women
Chicks are beginning to dominate. Blokes are too thick to realise.

safety
Pretty good in every day life. The worst I've seen in the workplace. Full of red tape when it comes to H&S certification and tickets and you can't get a job without it but it's pretty much ignored in situ.
On the surface concur with most of this, however I've been here a hell of a long while and the Cultural difference thing is lost on me now. In what obvious way are the people culturally different. Historically different I can get... by that I mean different views of recent everyday history like relationships to TV shows and personalities etc...(The UK has Bruce Forsyth and Terry Wogan, Aus Has John Laws and Bert Newton) but other than that I get a tad confused on the Cultural difference. I would have thought that the difference between someone bought up in Inner London v Cornwall for instance would have been no less noticeable than someone bought up in Inner London v Inner Melbourne or Sydney's Western Burbs ?

So can anyone point me at the main obvious cultural difference... After 35 years here I'm really lost on this one now.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 5th 2015 at 11:04 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
On the surface concur with most of this, however I've been here a hell of a long while and the Cultural difference thing is lost on me now. In what obvious way are the people culturally different. Historically different I can get... by that I mean different views of recent everyday history like relationships to TV shows and personalities etc...(The UK has Bruce Forsyth and Terry Wogan, Aus Has John Laws and Bert Newton) but other than that I get a tad confused on the Cultural difference. I would have thought that the difference between someone bought up in Inner London v Cornwall for instance would have been no less noticeable than someone bought up in Inner London v Inner Melbourne or Sydney's Western Burbs ?

So can anyone point me at the main obvious cultural difference... After 35 years here I'm really lost on this one now.
I don't know. Plenty of bogans in Melbournes inner suburbs ..... plenty
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Same same but different
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Always happens to Perth and the Gold Coast to a lesser degree, but they always bounce back.
Every city goes through ups and downs (Melbourne has had a few) but a resources-based city like Perth will get it harder

I imagine in can't be much fun in Houston, Calgary and Aberdeen at the moment

We'll be back
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Bix

safety
Need to disagree with this

HS&E is preached to an extraordinary level but in my experience, it's also put into practice - so much so that it has a massive impact on productivity and the ability to get a job done

Very similar to the UK in this regard
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

A lot of references to European and even North American history and culture that would be readily understood by your average middle class Brit would be lost on your average... er... Aussie.

In fact, the British meaning of the term "middle class" (let alone "upper middle class" or "lower middle class") would be lost on them too, which for me is another significant aspect of the cultural difference. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's a difference.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DC10
A lot of references to European and even North American history and culture that would be readily understood by your average middle class Brit would be lost on your average... er... Aussie.

In fact, the British meaning of the term "middle class" (let alone "upper middle class" or "lower middle class") would be lost on them too, which for me is another significant aspect of the cultural difference. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's a difference.
''

I'd love to put your first point to a quantative test.... Although I definitely concur with your second point, that class thing as in stereotyping even as far as what newspapers one reads would totally baffle most Aussies and probably most other world citizens. Sure it could be an indicator of political leanings but class structure per se is a alien concept.

Overheard a really interesting debate at work yesterday between two postal workers about how Ruperts father Keith Murdoch founded the precursor to the Liberal party way back in the early 40's and how that legacy has influenced right wing politics around the world... So I'd say there are people here at base level that know exactly what makes the world and the UK tick.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would you expect any different? Put Australia's short history in front of your most Brits, and all North American's and they would know zero.

What's your point? That the world neglects history when it isn't in their own backyard?
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

The British - people and media - are obsessed with the class system. So much so that it, unbelievably, still dominates their society and thinking. Bizarre I know that in the early 21st century this shit still goes on but there it is

An aspect of modern Britain that is to its detriment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.