Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUS-house prices..why so high?

AUS-house prices..why so high?

Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

FixedFlush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AUS-house prices..why so high?

Originally Posted by aries
Not according to this . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham
From the link:

Its metropolitan area is also the United Kingdom's second most populous with 3,683,000 residents.[4]
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
http://www.fool.com.au/2012/11/inves...-voters-hands/
There doesnt appear to be any guarantees from what I have been reading, lots of threats to pull out if the Government doesnt keep pouring cash into the company. This makes interesting reading, basically the taxpayer is just paying the profits.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/holde...507-1y96w.html
It would be interesting to know how much benefit is derived from subsidising the industry in the form of income tax, GST, maintaining the viability of associated automotive businesses, the retail trade, general services, housing and so on.

Which brings me back to the thread's topic, why are Australian house prices so high. Even in Adelaide wages in the building industry are buoyant, and with the outward spread of suburbs, infrastructure has to be set up, all adding to higher costs of land. Perhaps it is time for houses to be constructed more efficiently and prefabricated off-site. I don't mean the transportable homes, but panels or modules with services pre-installed. Or have I been watching too many programmes of Grand Designs, and marvelled at German efficiency?
Old Dec 31st 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived the exchange rate was between 2.6 and 2.8

Since then our own property has increased by 89%

Now the exchange rate is between 1.55 and 1.65?

Double whammy of effect on immigrants arriving recently
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:12 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
It may not be a country town but very few (apart from Zen) and a few others that the govt have offered visas to really want to live there. Is Adelaide fighting a losing battle - probably
I live here because it's small but still a city. The only other place I would consider living in Australia is Hobart. I'm over big cities. That's what long weekends are for. Just my personal view.

Also, some here are crowing about Adelaide's imminent collapse into Mad Max territory, but it has a lot of big government contracts with the defence industry and some major stuff on the way involving US Navy. So there is work, but it is mostly government as you point out, plus there are the universities and the wine industry. It's not all Holden.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I live here because it's small but still a city. The only other place I would consider living in Australia is Hobart. I'm over big cities. That's what long weekends are for. Just my personal view.

Also, some here are crowing about Adelaide's imminent collapse into Mad Max territory, but it has a lot of big government contracts with the defence industry and some major stuff on the way involving US Navy. So there is work, but it is mostly government as you point out, plus there are the universities and the wine industry. It's not all Holden.
Each to their own .... Personally I would go stir crazy somewhere that slow.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
When we arrived the exchange rate was between 2.6 and 2.8

Since then our own property has increased by 89%

Now the exchange rate is between 1.55 and 1.65?

Double whammy of effect on immigrants arriving recently
Depends if the intention of the migrant is to transfer all their pounds to Oz by a house and live happily ever after or whether they are here for a quick few years, save lots of Aussie Dollars and send them back to the UK at a good exchange rate.